Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/30/2006 10:03:59 AM EDT
I want to buy a new RRA and I'm going to want an EoTech on it. My question is, do I want a flat top or do I want it to come with the Dominater? Can the EoTech mount right to the flat top, or do I need the Dominator to mount it? Does the Dominator just provide BUIS as well as being a mount for the scope?
One last question, what's the difference between the A3 top and an A4 top? My only AR experience to this point has been with an A2, not real familiar with the others.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I had mine mounted right to the flattop and cowitnessed with my BUIS. GGG quick release is a nice option.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#2]
EOTechs can mount directly to a flattop, the dominator mount only raises it a bit more.

There are fixed carry handle uppers, and flattop uppers that come with detachable carry handles. A3/A4 are two different names for the same thing: a flattop.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I went with the Dominator and I couldn't be happier. But the EO can be mounted directly to the flat top without any sort of mount if you want a folding BUIS. I prefer to keep it simple and have a fixed rear BUIS. Nothing to fudge with or fudge up if I need to go to the irons.

I'm not sure what A3 is, but my understanding is that A4 is simply the M4 style flat top.

Edited to correct co-witness misinformation.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies!
So it sounds like the Dominator is not necessary, but the advantage of having it would be a higher platform and fixed BUIS instead of flip up BUIS.
EntryTac, I saw your AR on another thread last night, damn nice looking rig! I'm looking at doing something very similar to yours.
Thanks again for the replies!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
HOW TO PROPERLY MOUNT AN EOTECH:

LARUE LT110.

WES GRANT
MSTN.BIZ

I was torn between the LaRue and the Dominator but I'm glad I went with the Dominator for the fixed rear BUIS (KISS principle) and the perfect co-witness rather than a lower third irons sight picture.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies!
So it sounds like the Dominator is not necessary, but the advantage of having it would be a higher platform and fixed BUIS instead of flip up BUIS.
EntryTac, I saw your AR on another thread last night, damn nice looking rig! I'm looking at doing something very similar to yours.
Thanks again for the replies!

Thanks for the compliments on my AR. I love this gun!

And yes, I prefer a fixed BUIS that the Dominator offers.

Edited to delete inaccurate co-witness info...
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:49:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LARUE LT110.

WES GRANT
MSTN.BIZ

I was torn between the LaRue and the Dominator but I'm glad I went with the Dominator for the fixed rear BUIS (KISS principle) and the perfect co-witness rather than a lower third irons sight picture.

I'm a tad confused...  The Dominator gives you "lower third" co-witness.  Mounting directly to the flat-top provides "absolute" co-witness.

I have a Dominator on one carbine, and direct mount with ARMS #40 on another.  I like both methods.  If I ever decide I want the "other" carbine to have a taller EO, I'll be giving the LaRue a try.  Judging by the SPR-E mount, I'm sure it will be a piece of art, but if you don't need the QD and extra piece of rail for mounting other optics, and you like having a fixed A2 BUIS, then the Dominator is a very good choice.

What I suggest to people is that they purchase the EOTech and try it on their flat-top for one month (or at least two goooood range trips).  If they just can't stand having the front sight taking up half the window, then they need a riser.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LARUE LT110.

WES GRANT
MSTN.BIZ

I'm a tad confused...  The Dominator gives you "lower third" co-witness.  Mounting directly to the flat-top provides "absolute" co-witness.

I have a Dominator on one carbine, and direct mount with ARMS #40 on another.  I like both methods.  If I ever decide I want the "other" carbine to have a taller EO, I'll be giving the LaRue a try.  Judging by the SPR-E mount, I'm sure it will be a piece of art, but if you don't need the QD and extra piece of rail for mounting other optics, and you like having a fixed A2 BUIS, then the Dominator is a very good choice.

What I suggest to people is that they purchase the EOTech and try it on their flat-top for one month (or at least two goooood range trips).  If they just can't stand having the front sight taking up half the window, then they need a riser.

Turns out I am the one that's confused. Sorry... I just took a picture to prove my point on co-witness but when I had the pic in Photoshop resizing it I realized that it only proves me wrong. Now is when I publicly admit that I had it all wrong as to what perfect co-witness really meant. I'm new to holo sights and for some reason was thinking reticle on front sight post tip when looking through the irons meant perfect co-witness. I see now that I was wrong, wrong, wrong... My thinking was that the EO reticle would be centered in the EO window and the sight picture with the irons would be some distance below it when the irons were aligned. As I said though, the pic I took to prove my point shows plainly that the sights are in the lower third of the EO window when they are aligned. I should have realized that when zero'd, the EO would hit the top edge of the front post when the sights were aligned. Man, what a brain fart!

Now that the fart has cleared and I realize that true absolute co-witness would mean that the irons would align with the EO reticle when it is CENTERED IN THE EO WINDOW, I feel like a total moron. I've argued this point a couple different times using my flawed perception of what perfect co-wit really was... Oh well, live and learn.

My pic, which clearly shows the sights in the lower portion of the EO window with the sights and reticle aligned (roughly)...

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#10]
And my apologies to azjeeper for the misinformation on co-witness.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#11]
The RRA Dominator requires that the EOTech glass be clear, not spiderwebbed or clogged with mud, in order to use iron sights. Sorry, but when the 553 comes out I am going to mount one on a LaRue mount, so I can ditch it if I have to. Also because A2 sights are overly complicated POSs...
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The RRA Dominator requires that the EOTech glass be clear, not spiderwebbed or clogged with mud, in order to use iron sights. Sorry, but when the 553 comes out I am going to mount one on a LaRue mount, so I can ditch it if I have to. Also because A2 sights are overly complicated POSs...

Good point. I'd like to have a throw lever to mate the EO to my Dominator for that very reason.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:27:30 AM EDT
[#13]
i've been using the gg & g accucam w/ my 552. I like the quick release for cleaning/takedown/storage. Also, the accucam does not raise the optic very high, so cowitnessing is easy to practice
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#14]
If you're sure you are going to use the Dominator, which I also use and highly recommend, I would also strongly suggest using a front flip-up sight. I use a Yankee Hill Machine front flip sight. Its built like a tank and when folded down leaves you with an almost clutter free view through your optic. It is highly worth the extra $40 or $50. I saw the pic that EntryTac submitted and would only suggest trying to keep your sight window as clutter free as possible. My rifle is used solely for clearing buildings, houses, etc... Having a clear line of sight is essential. I'm not sure what kind of work your rifle will see (recreation, LEO, military) but this is something to consider.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Why the 553 on top of the Larue Mount?

The 553 is supposed to come with ARMS mounts and is setup to co-witness in the lower 1/3rd from the get-go (meaning it already sits higher). If you put the already-high 553 on the Larue mount, I wonder if you'd be able to see the irons at all, rather than be stuck looking at the rubber buttons at the back of the EOTech.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn, I forgot about the integral mounts

They better make a model with LaRue levers!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you're sure you are going to use the Dominator, which I also use and highly recommend, I would also strongly suggest using a front flip-up sight. I use a Yankee Hill Machine front flip sight. Its built like a tank and when folded down leaves you with an almost clutter free view through your optic. It is highly worth the extra $40 or $50. I saw the pic that EntryTac submitted and would only suggest trying to keep your sight window as clutter free as possible. My rifle is used solely for clearing buildings, houses, etc... Having a clear line of sight is essential. I'm not sure what kind of work your rifle will see (recreation, LEO, military) but this is something to consider.

Mine is used for LE and I prefer having fixed sights. I haven't found them to be a distraction when using the EO. It's just a matter of personal preference really. I'd rather not have to take the time to flip up folding sights and take a chance of something going wrong with them at the very moment I needed them.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top