Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2006 10:19:44 PM EDT
Can any one tell me if these scopes are any good?  I found there online "wharehouse" and they had some interesting scopes for good prices.
Just wondering if any one knows
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:18:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Family member bought the 6x 40mm "PO"...Has drag reticle, illuminated (5 settings), was a little over $100 can't remember. These are made by ZENIT. These are not some of the knock-offs or junk scopes you might have seen at gunshows.

Optical quality, after spending HOURS looking through it and comparing is EQUAL to Burris/Leupold's lower end. This is not bullshit. I have excellent vision, and am very critical on a multitude of factors. I'm a person who pays attention to detail. There's no difference. Anyone who says otherwise is either oblivious to the factors, or is lying out of bias or brand-loyalty. After seeing for myself and making side-by-side comparisons...I checked out their site and they claim it to be equal to the low end Burris/Leupold. Claims are accurate. If that is accurate, I have no reason not to believe that their claims that the higher end $350 choices are equal in optical quality to Zeiss.

Eye relief is LONG. Scope is lightweight. Build like a tank. Has turrets.

Negatives? It has a tint to it (Commie military coatings to give better contrast for certain targets)... probably should be used with an eye shade because it has some extreme glare in sunlight on the ocular. Scope is ugly. Also, it only has a Kalinka 1 year warranty. These are imports, no factory support state-side as I understand it. I could be wrong though....Beyond that, it is perfect.

If you took this scope, and disguised it as a Leupold with a gold ring and outer appearance, people would pay $300+ for it.

BTW, the reticle is very nice...very useful. Has the range finder for both standing targets and prone targets. So if the bastards are prone, you can still range them and deliver the lead!!

I was shocked. I was so skeptical. I thought these Russian scopes were pure garbage. I had so much bias till I inspected and handled one extensively...now I am a believer. A lot of people will never believe this sort of testimony because the fact that these are Commie optics and they are so low priced or bizarre looking and that doesn't inspire an idea of quality in an American's mind. That's fine by me, that will keep demand low and subsequently keep prices down.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for all the info.  I think for the price Ill try one out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I was just looking at one scope they had.  It was a variable power with some neat features.  They were priced very good.  However, I did some searching around and finally ended up at an AK forum that had a number of bad things to say about their service.  So bad they tried to make it quite clear that these people are bad news and will not return calls for any warrantee work.  I think I shall shop elsewhere.

www.kalinkaoptics.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=53
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I haven't heard any bad things about kalinka, but the fact is, with a 1 year warranty..and these scopes being made overseas...you pretty much buy it and keep it. I doubt there's any sort of repair process, but I'd hope there is a return process for another scope.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont-Tread-On-Me, from what I gather, that is one of the problems.  If something is wrong you end up holding the bag.  
I have two Russian scopes and I think they are both super.  One is a simple 4 power and the other is a three power.  Built tough, just like the rifles they are mounted on.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:40:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I would like to see one of these on my Mk14... I think it would be damn nice!

Nathan
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top