Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 9:49:26 PM EDT
Here's the bottom line.  I have the dedicated varmint rig, and decided I needed a shorter "tactical" gun... So I built a 1:7 midlength.

Right now I've been just playing with the BUIS (ARMS 40 and "F" FSB)  But I'm starting to want some sort of optic.

Here's my predicament.  I like the idea of an EOtech, compact, fast target acquisition, not so limiting like a scope.  However, I find that as a general rule, I punch so much more paper than I do anything else.  And it seems, many do not appreciate the EOtech out past 50m (correct me if I'm wrong, never used one myself)  That said, I'm trying to avoid TONS of equipment on this AR, wanna keep is somewhat tactical.  So is there something a little more in between?

I've read about the Aimpoints, but I'm not really interested in dropping $350 on the Aimpiont, then another, what $300 for a magnifier?  Not to mention mounts.  That just sounds like too much.

Maybe I'm asking for a magic solution, but just curious if any of you optic guru's know of something else I should look at.  Or maybe I'm wrong and the Eotech would be great for 100-200M shooting.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Eotech is a perfect solution for the application you have described. Im working on a middy project myself and have a 512 on the way. I also plan on getting a leupold 1.5-5x20 MR/T on a LaRue mount and throwing it all in a  pelican case. A do it all rifle suite is what i have in mind. May be the last ar I ever own (Ha ha ha)

I had a 502 that i used for 2 years on my M4 and had great success with it shooting targets at 100+ yards. Battery usage was great. As a matter of fact, i never once had to change the batteries. I really likes the 502 and therefore i will stick with eotech
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I am building a 16" middy also, and FWIW I think an EOTech is just the ticket -- for paper and everything else.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:07:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:10:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 2x compact acog on my carbine that works well at those distances you mention.  I like it alot, but for my next project, I'm going to give the variable power Trijicon TR 21 a try.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#5]
The trijicon stuff is nice but whoa, the prices on those are up there.  Not saying they are out of line, but more that I don't think I could utilize the features that come with with the extra ??

So it sounds like I was wrong, the EOtech IS effective for doing work at and past 100M.

Maybe that will be just the ticket...

Thanks,
Gundraw
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#6]
TA11F....  Find one slightly used.  As you age, you will appreciate the extra magnification.

Gary
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm partial to the EOTech, personally.

If you have good eyesight (I'm 19, so......) the EOTech should be right up your alley. People that have astigmatism's have noted big problems with being able to see the EOTech's reticle correctly.

I don't have that problem. This is what I see when I look through it.

That tree is about 96yds from my position (laser-rangefinder confirmed). The small central dot of the EOThingy really helps when the distances get up over 100yds, IMO.

Hope this helps.

WIZZO

EDIT: BTW, my EOThingy just so happens to be sitting on top of a 1/7 twist middy w/ ARMS 40 and "F" FSB too
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:23:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm partial to the EOTech, personally.

If you have good eyesight (I'm 19, so......) the EOTech should be right up your alley. People that have astigmatism's have noted big problems with being able to see the EOTech's reticle correctly.

That tree is about 96yds from my position (laser-rangefinder confirmed). The small central dot of the EOThingy really helps when the distances get up over 100yds, IMO.

Hope this helps.

WIZZO

EDIT: BTW, my EOThingy just so happens to be sitting on top of a 1/7 twist middy w/ ARMS 40 and "F" FSB too
i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/kxwizzo/100_0241A1.jpg

Judging by the profile on that barrel, I have to ask, is that an Operator from Denny's Guns?  That's what I'm running.  If you are, we'll have to exchange notes on the performance so far.  I"ve still been tinkering with loads with good results, but using irons, it's a little hard to get real solid data.  Haven't even dobbled in the heavy grain stuff yet.  Regardless, that's a nice looking rig.

Here's mine:

I'm a young'en too so my eyesight is pretty good... for now

I really like the idea, design, and concept of the ACOG's, but geez, for 700-800 bucks used, that's a little hard to swallow (unless, of course, this was a duty gun or something of that nature).  I'm starting to think the EOtech might be my deal.  It's so hard to judge things like this.  I live in a part of the country where you just don't see guys with AR's around very often (in fact, I've never seen another person at the range with an AR) so I never get to try out goodies before I buy them.   Have to rely mostly on this board (which I appreciate the input everyone).

I think I might give the EOtech a try.  Maybe a 512 as I don't expect anyone to give me any NV equipment, and don't plan on taking my Middy swimming with me.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone,

Gundraw

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:28:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you seen the 3x25 IOR ?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#10]

How about pretty much any compact 4x scope with quick detachable rings?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:36:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Mine's a Gubment profile Sabre Defence barrel from Talon Arms. I haven't sat down at a bench to do any real groupings with it yet, but it always seems to hit where I aim.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

WIZZO
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top