Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 2:50:19 PM EDT
Anyone using one of these on their AR15s?

I've been thinking of the 1.4-5X32 illum and was looking for feedback from those with experience.

What are the knobs like under the turret caps?  How is the illum (adjustable, bright enough for daytime OEG/BAC use)?   Reliability/tracking problems?? Any pics??

I'd drop more money for IOR/Leupy but I am not sure if I want 1ish-4 or 5 power or just whip the eotech off and slap on a 10X mildot in QD rings/base for magnified shot placement...............
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#1]
www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21197&hl=Pro+Diamond

Everytime I've seen the Simmons 1.5-5x32 Illuminated mentioned, I always see that people recommend staying away from it and going with the Pro-Diamond 1.5-5x20 (non-illuminated)

If you go the Pro Diamond route, drop me a line I have an extra sitting in the safe that I had planned on putting on the E&E this coming week.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Jeff-
IM sent.

Thanks for the threads, I think that its got to be a decent tool for the money, and I'm not looking for jewelry to see if I like a 4X scope and I want to be able to dial down in the meantime......
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:37:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the concept of using a shotgun scope on an AR. Especially with me having astigmatism, which precludes me from using an Aimpoint, or Eotech.  I like being able to go from low to medium magnification. I have talked to someone who knows of shotgun scopes beng used in the sand box with very good results. I say if works fro you, great.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Just bought one from USMC03 that he had. Thanks Jeff.
I got the 20mm non-illuminated. We'll see how it does when I get it mounted and shot!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]
you'll love it.  it is short on cool factor points, but long on performance.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:22:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Ahhh, If I need cool points to impress the airsoft commandos I'll have to take my Leupold 8.5-25 MK4 M1 Illum Mildot off the Savage huh???

Actually if I dig the 1.5-5 I'll probably pony up for a IOR 1.1-4X36 for my carbine.  I'm trying the Simmons to cost effectively see if I want 1-5X range or to just swap between my eotech and a 10X in some sort of QD setup........(as I said above).  If I like the low power variable I will want illumination later.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been looking for this scope on the web, but it appears to be discontinued.  I found the Simmons 1.5-5X32, but that isn't the same scope.  

I ended up ordering a Weaver 1-3X20.  It has a true 1X setting and from what I've seen is a very good scope.  It was recommended by some top 3-gunners.  It's amazing to me the difference it makes to have a true 1X scope.  With both eyes open it looks like a circle with a crosshair superimposed on the scenery.  Super fast target acquisition!  More expensive than the Simmons ($140), but still not out of reach for working stiffs.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been using the 1.5x5x20 for the last year or so.  I like the wide FOV for close range shots on low power and the 5x is still good for longer range.

Here is mine on a 20" Busiy in a Rock River mount.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#10]
G23C-
Is the "diamond" a small enough crosshair to shoot precise at 100yds?

I'm gonna have to mount farther forward, prolly bridge the receiver and handguard rail (YHM FF) to be able to shoot NTCH.  Mine's gonna be in the Armalite style mount so I may be a tad more forward, but not enough I think.

I'll try to stick a pic in this thread later this week when I get my hot little hands on it........
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Actually looking at it, I may need a higher mount.........eye bell needs to clear a ARMS40L BUIS.
G23C-is that an RRA mount (it looks higher than the Armalite and looks like it'd clear a 40L)?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I also have the 1.5-5x20, like it a lot.  Originally I had it in a RRA mount but due to eye relief I switched to a Larue.  The crosshairs are sort of thick, but definately not enough to impair precision, IMHO.  Sorry for being so vague.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
G23C-
Is the "diamond" a small enough crosshair to shoot precise at 100yds?

The crosshairs are inside of the diamond.

The crosshairs can be used at the higher power for precision shots, and the larger diamond is very easy and quick to pick up on 1.5x - 2x for quick close in shots.

The reticle can be seen here:

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Jeff, I know the shape, just wasn't sure of how fine the x-hairs are in the center. (didn't wanna bug you with more questions.......)

LaRue mounts are nice, but I'll most likely put the mount on a QDrail riser before I drop $200 for a mount........
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Who makes a QD rail riser?  I know Larue does, but it is $120 or so.  I bought my mount on the EE for $150, so I saved a little.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Not lever action adjustable like the LaRue, but prolly a YHM 7" rail with thumbscrews.  The return to zero is all in the torque.  For most applications on an aluminum rail I use the eotech guideline-screw until initial resistance is felt, then turn 3/4 turn.  Just so you do the same torque your zero shouldn't shift (perceptibly).
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:47:13 AM EDT
[#17]
The scope was discontinued. But you can still find them at CDNN. Also the illuminated version ends up with a smaller FOV then the non-illuminated one.

I had one on one of my ARs for a while and liked it. My needs changed and it went on my 10-22. Great scope for the money.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:10:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I've been thinking of the 1.4-5X32 illum and was looking for feedback from those with experience.

What are the knobs like under the turret caps?  How is the illum (adjustable, bright enough for daytime OEG/BAC use)?   Reliability/tracking problems?? Any pics??

I'd drop more money for IOR/Leupy but I am not sure if I want 1ish-4 or 5 power or just whip the eotech off and slap on a 10X mildot in QD rings/base for magnified shot placement...............

Good stuff.  Get one from CDNN.  Picture of one of my favs:

(not illuminated)  This is an RRA mount.  I couldn't see spending $150 for a mount on a $50 scope.    Under the turret isn't really a knob, but a tab that you can adjust without tools.  I have removed it and put it on different rifles, requiring slight re-zero from rifle to rifle, and it tracked fine for that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:26:11 AM EDT
[#19]
A Bushnell 1-4 is a good alternative to the Simmons and it has 1/4 minute clicks as opposed to Simmons 1/2 minute ones. Gotta Bushnell on my 3-gun rig. The RRA mount is prefered... the stacked effect of risers/spacers is almost "bubba-ish". Armalite's mount is too low for BUIS's.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:53:34 AM EDT
[#20]
CDNN no longer carries the 1.5-5x20 Pro Diamond.

SWFA, Midway, and a few other places still carries them.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
CDNN no longer carries the 1.5-5x20 Pro Diamond.

SWFA, Midway, and a few other places still carries them.

They have it with a $50-60 dollar premium.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey, Wildearp, haven't I seen that lower receiver before???

the stacked effect of risers/spacers is almost "bubba-ish"

-would be a temporary fix to see if I like the magnification range.

Armalite's mount is too low for BUIS's.

-actually depending on the eye relief it may be mounted  just forward of my ARMS40L as I shoot NTCH (highpower habit) and I'd rather be closer to the irons cheekweld than higher, so I really can't say what I'll wind up with til it gets here........
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Hey, Wildearp, haven't I seen that lower receiver before???

I was kinda thinking the same thing, I knew I got a Glock 30 from you, but with the BRD I lose track.................  It did have a .45 Oly on it for quite a while, now LMT .223.  I shoot the heck out of it!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Has anyone tried or would it even be worth mounting a Jpoint on one of these? Im thinking of getting one of these for my 3 gun ar.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Has anyone tried or would it even be worth mounting a Jpoint on one of these? Im thinking of getting one of these for my 3 gun ar.

Jpoint $250?????  Much better options than that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I have one I got in on a trade and honestly dont have much in it I just thought it might be an option.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I tried a J-Point... and found it TOTALLY useless. It is too fragile, plastic... and did I mention to fragile?
As mentioned, there are better alternatives.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Here's mine with Warne X-high QD rings.  Return to zero is excelent!

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good stuff.  Get one from CDNN.  Picture of one of my favs:

(not illuminated)  This is an RRA mount.  I couldn't see spending $150 for a mount on a $50 scope.    Under the turret isn't really a knob, but a tab that you can adjust without tools.  I have removed it and put it on different rifles, requiring slight re-zero from rifle to rifle, and it tracked fine for that.

Butler Creek Cap information:
01OBJ 1.000 inches product number 30010
10EYE 1.516 inches product number 20100

For all of us who have ordered the wrong Butler Creek caps in the past, this information should be priceless.  I just got them today.  (not pictured)
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the info 'earp-

I just saw this before I went to Sportsman's Wherehouse today for some reloading supplies and picked a set up.  Now I just gotta find some QD rings that are high enough or an RRA mount, as the Armalite style mount I got with the scope is too low to clear my ARMS 40L...............

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top