Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/22/2006 6:09:20 AM EDT
I've had a Bushnell 3200 for a year or so. I noticed that when I look thru it with the horizontal reticle level, the bottom vertical reticle is slanted a bit- doesn't hit "6 oclock." Not much, but I can notice it.

So I just mounted my IOR Valdada and- same thing. Again, not much, but I can tell.

Last night I got the Bushnell out and mounted it left handed. When I look thru the sight with my left eye, same thing, only the reticle slants the OTHER way- left I think.

Do I need to line up a cane and dark glasses, or what?

Yep, it's the progressive lenses in my glasses. If I lift them up, the effect goes away. Cheap fix.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the same thing happen with a different scope. In my case, I discovered that the front sight was in the way of the very bottom of the scope's field of view, and because it was so close, the blurred distortion made the 6:00 post of the reticle look like it was 'dancing' around a bit, and not lining up perfectly at 6:00.

Don't know if it's exactly what you're experiencing, but that was how it happened to me.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#2]
In the case of my AR, I have a flip down front sight on their Varmint Special. It's not a factor with the Bushnell in the down position.

With th IOR and the FAL, I'm kdoing this from memory, and I don't think it's the front sight post. The IOR is on a set of YHM risers. The rear para sight and the front sight are on a plane under the risers, so I can't visualize how the front sight would come into play (just set it up last night and I'm working from memory, here).

I think I'll get the guy at the range to see if he sees the same thing I do. Since the bottom vertical reticle "bends" left or right depending on which eye I use, it would seem to be some kind of optical illusion.

This is no big deal- doesn't affect performance. I'm just curious.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Leupold scope that looks like one of the lines in the crosshair "bends" near the edge of the FOV.  It bothered me when I first noticed but it doesn't effect the function of the scope.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top