Posted: 3/18/2006 2:14:17 PM EDT

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

. . .the dog's bollocks . . .

So is that GOOD or BAD???  

You silly English types and your silly colloquialisms.  

Welcome to the board.  

I'm sure you will get a lot of good information about a scope mount--just not from me since I haven't a clue!

Traffic is a little slow on the weekends but you should hear something in a day or two.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome aboard.
There are several reputable companies out there, but availability might not be great in the UK.
Leupold Mark 4 rings
Badger Ordinance
Warne
U.S. Optics
Talley is also a great brand, but they market themselves for "sporting" type rifles that don't use a 1913 rail system.

PS - welcome
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#4]
The dog's bollocks is related to the bee's knees and the cat's meow, what in American pejorative might be known as the shizzle, the shiznit etc.

I use the Larue Tactical SPR-EER QD mount as recommended by S&B in the US.

You may have trouble getting one of these in the UK. The best way to do it would be to have a Yank squaddie order it and delivered 'in country' (either in theatre or onto a US base in the UK) and just get it from him. therwise have a word with Southern Gun Company.....they may be able to import it for you.

This is the mount. It let's you run the Short Dot out forward for enough eye relief even NTCH.

Simon
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome aboard!  I agree.  Find aYank who will buy a LaRue for you.  Rolls Royce of mounts.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:42:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys.  All the best to you for the future.  "Dog's Bollocks" means very good indeed, fo those of you you did not know.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#7]
LaRue is the way to go. Welcome to ARFCOM. Dont suppose you were ever stationed on the Turbulent? I hoisted several pints in Gibralter with some of the crew and some SBS guys about 6 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:53:48 AM EDT
[#8]
No, never been on Turbulet.  Served on RENOWN, RESOLUTION, REPULSE, VIGILANT and VENGEANCE, now based shoreside at a desk but at least getting some omre shooting in.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:02:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:41:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am the current UK National Highpower Champion

Dammmmmmm

Thank you for swingin' by.

Please let your troops know - "Thank you" for playing with us in the sand box as well.

Good luck
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have a UK legal AR 15, ( No gas parts and straight pull bolt operaterated), I am the current UK National Highpower Champion (a long ways behind you guys in the US of A but we are giving it a go). I'm looking after a bit of advice, I want to use my Highpower AR15 with a Scope for UK Style Service Rifle. My AR 15 has is an A2 Detachable Carry Handle model, I have a S&B CQB 4 Power Scope (which is the dog's bollocks of a scope) that I want to fit in liue of the carry handle to shoot in Service Rifle Competitions. Can anyone recomend a scope mount  (30mm tube) that will work well with a fixed foresight.

Thanks for your time guys

John MH
Lt Cdr Royal Navy
Working Together in Iraq

Just as a test, what color is the boathouse at Hereford?  Welcome aboard, Mate.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Welcome aboard RN-Submariner; a pleasure to have some British fellows in the sport. I can second the notion of using a Larue mount; they are by far, the best mounts for your specific needs.

You can visit the site by clicking HERE.

I had the pleasure of serving with British soldiers while serving in Iraq; I can't say enough great things about you guys and your contribution to the war effort. I am happy to see that a fellow military man owns an Armalite like many of us here.

Cheers and best of luck.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Welcome to the forum.  Pleased to hear that you are not a "big girl's blouse."  My Ar-10 and Ar-15 carry an Armalite one pice scope mount and Nightforce rings, respectively.  Both are excellent.  Between U.S. export laws and U.K. import regulations, you have a mine field to navigate.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Hi Guys

Went with what you recomended and got a Larue SPR-E mount, fitted and looks good on the flat top, will zero it at the weekend.  Thanks for the advice.

John MH
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#16]
This is the obligatory "request for pictures" post.  

We would all enjoy seeing your setup and where you shoot.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Hi Guys, Fogofwar requested a photo of my set up well here is a link to a couple of photo' of work and play.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h180/RN-Submariner/100_3376.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h180/RN-Submariner/100_3410.jpg

Hope the links work.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Very nice!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Deleted
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#20]
just curious, given the choice of having an M16 or an SA80 what would you chose? i understand that you are using a UK version of the ar15, but i was just wondering what you would perfer to use  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Deleted
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:25:38 AM EDT
[#22]
its good to see that they took care of your guys weapons, i have heard countless horror stories about it.

I have seen a number of them in Iraq, but never got the oppertunity to handle one, they look like the handle fairly well,

welcom to the board
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top