Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/17/2006 8:23:19 AM EDT
I'm considering a tritium FS with the standard rear for my KISS SHTF carbine.  I understand that the tritium rears don't work too well and I'm just looking for faster FS acquisition in low level light condition for use at shorter ranges.  But, it seems that Trijicon only sells their sights as sets and the tritium set is around $135.  On the other hand Meprolight sells only a front which I've found for $44.95.  The only problem is that the Meprolight website doesn't give much info, such as post width, or any pictures of their sight.  I like the Trijicon FS design with the white stripe and vertical vile and would like to see how the Meprolight FS is configured.  Does anyone have a pic of the Meprolight FS?  Any other input or advice is welcomed as well.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out the PT tritium night sight.  They use a single side exposed blade instead of a dot, which I find easier to pick up and use.  They used to sell the front sight seperately, and it was less expensive than the trijicon and meprolight products.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#2]
You can get the Trijicon Front sight at Brownells for $60.

I have one of these and like it.  I heard the same things you did about the rear sights.  In daylight all I see is the black silhouette of the front post. At night its just a little green dot.

I've never shot it in the dark so I don't really know how accurate it is. But when I raise the gun to my shoulder the front post is at least close to the center of the rear.  This is good enough for home defense purposes. If the green dot is center of mass when shot, the bullets will hit.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:57:25 AM EDT
[#3]
A couple of years ago I purchased the Trijicon front site post by itself from Bushmaster.

I like it for up close stuff but the post is kind of wide for out past 100yds.

I have an Aimpoint mounted now so I don't really need it except for a b/u in low light if the Aimpoint quits.

Have fun,

Flyer
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm considering a tritium FS with the standard rear for my KISS SHTF carbine.  I understand that the tritium rears don't work too well and I'm just looking for faster FS acquisition in low level light condition for use at shorter ranges.  But, it seems that XS only sells their sights as sets and the tritium set is around $135.  On the other hand Meprolight sells only a front which I've found for $44.95.  The only problem is that the Meprolight website doesn't give much info, such as post width, or any pictures of their sight.  I like the XS FS design with the white stripe and vertical vial and would like to see how the Meprolight FS is configured.  Does anyone have a pic of the Meprolight FS?  Any other input or advice is welcomed as well.

AH, hell, I just discovered that I made a mistake in my original post and I've edited above to correct it.  In my searching around I got confused about which was which and was thinking that it was Trijicon that had a new design with the vertical vial when it was actually XS that has this sight and sells them as F/R sets.

Brownell does indeed sell the Trijicon dot style as a front only for $60 and the Meprolight front only for $46.  However they don't show a pic of the Mepro AR front sight.  Does anyone have one?

The PT site looks similar to the XS in that it has the vertical vial but without the white stripe.  They don't have much info on their site though.  No prices or online ordering ability.  Maybe I'll shoot them an email and inquire a little more about their sights.

What I'm really looking for is the new design XS sold as a front only.  May as well shoot them an email and ask about that option even though they don't list it in their menu.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I just installed the Trijicon front site on all of my PD's patrol rifles. I like them. Works great with the A2 rear. Very simple and police proof
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
....But, it seems that Trijicon only sells their sights as sets and the tritium set is around $135.  

You didn't look very hard.  Bushmaster will sell you a Trijicon front sight.  That is where I buy mine from.

On the other hand Meprolight sells only a front which I've found for $44.95.

And they aren't worth half that.  The Mepro's are frail - I've managed to break one with just a minor wack on the rifle.  While I prefer the 5 detents and illuminated post of the Mepro, the Trijicons have proven to be far more durable.

Does anyone have a pic of the Meprolight FS?

This is what it looked like PRIOR to it's breaking:
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Forest, how did you manage to break a front sight? Was the post hit or was the rifle barrel/sight tower jarred?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Forest, how did you manage to break a front sight? Was the post hit or was the rifle barrel/sight tower jarred?

Barrel was jarred.  I was holding the rifle while turning around and the barrel banged off a support pole (steel) in my basement.  Didn't even mar the barrel or the paint on the pole.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm considering a tritium FS with the standard rear for my KISS SHTF carbine.  I understand that the tritium rears don't work too well and I'm just looking for faster FS acquisition in low level light condition for use at shorter ranges.  But, it seems that XS only sells their sights as sets and the tritium set is around $135.  On the other hand Meprolight sells only a front which I've found for $44.95.  The only problem is that the Meprolight website doesn't give much info, such as post width, or any pictures of their sight.  I like the XS FS design with the white stripe and vertical vial and would like to see how the Meprolight FS is configured.  Does anyone have a pic of the Meprolight FS?  Any other input or advice is welcomed as well.

AH, hell, I just discovered that I made a mistake in my original post and I've edited above to correct it.  In my searching around I got confused about which was which and was thinking that it was Trijicon that had a new design with the vertical vial when it was actually XS that has this sight and sells them as F/R sets.

Brownell does indeed sell the Trijicon dot style as a front only for $60 and the Meprolight front only for $46.  However they don't show a pic of the Mepro AR front sight.  Does anyone have one?

The PT site looks similar to the XS in that it has the vertical vial but without the white stripe.  They don't have much info on their site though.  No prices or online ordering ability.  Maybe I'll shoot them an email and inquire a little more about their sights.

What I'm really looking for is the new design XS sold as a front only.  May as well shoot them an email and ask about that option even though they don't list it in their menu.

Look closer at Brownells.  They sell the XS "24/7 Tritium stipe post only" #006-000-103 for $60.  I think that is what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Being an AR newbie, please excuse my ignorance, but since the front sight is rotated to adjust for elevation, wouldn't you need the tritium on all 4 sides of the post?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Being an AR newbie, please excuse my ignorance, but since the front sight is rotated to adjust for elevation, wouldn't you need the tritium on all 4 sides of the post?

No.

There are 2 adjustments that are used.  One adjusts the height of the sight, the other adjusts which direction the tritium faces.  When you install the sight you'll get a new front sight plunger that had a longer nub that will hold both adjustments.  Trijicon also gives you a tool with longer fingers so you can adjust the sight.  It can be a PITA to adjust just the upper disk to change the direction the tritium vial is facing, but it sure beats those cheap tritium sights where you only adjust the front sight in 5moa incraments.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes you do

No.

There are 2 adjustments that are used.  One adjusts the height of the sight, the other adjusts which direction the tritium faces.  When you install the sight you'll get a new front sight plunger that had a longer nub that will hold both adjustments.  Trijicon also gives you a tool with longer fingers so you can adjust the sight.  It can be a PITA to adjust just the upper disk to change the direction the tritium vial is facing, but it sure beats those cheap tritium sights where you only adjust the front sight in 5moa incraments.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Your stuck with a full turn on the XS when zeroing. The stripe doesn't rotate independently like the Trijicon
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top