Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2006 9:56:25 AM EDT
So, I bought an Aimpoint cantilever mount from Troy Industries and there are 2 things I don't like about it:

1) I think it is in serious need of lapping, but this is a minor issue;

2) The guys who designed it took every last millmeter of space on the Aimpoint tube. The ring covers from the battery cover to the bell housing where the objective starts. It is a really tight fit that obstructs the battery compartment and requires the rubber thing to be pushed out of the way to create room for the ring. The ring could be redesigned to remove 1/16" from both ends (1/8" overall) to give some relief. If this ring were any longer front-to-back it would start to ride up the bell housing and gouge the exterior. Hey, I'm just a dumb engineer, but I think I would have accounted for this.

Troy Industries says that it is acceptible because the battery doesn't need to be changed often.

Now that I have learned about an Aimpoint mount firsthand, can you tell me if the LaRue is a mofo tight fit on the tube, and is the Aimpoint's battery compartment completely blocked? How about KAC or PRI?

What a way to learn....

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually, it looks to me like you could rotate the Aimpoint around like it is supposed to be positioned, and the cap would clear the mount.

The elevation adjustment should be pointing straight up, not canted to the side as it appears to be in the photos.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmmmm. I think you are right. I've been into guns for a while, but I can't believe I may have botched this mount. I think I used the freakin' lens caps as my baseline. DOH! Let me correct that situation and I'll get back.

EDIT: Thanks man. I really AM a dumb engineer. Problem corrected...and props to Troy Industries.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh this is some funny shit...

Sorry...

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:09:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I had the same problem, but I was using an older model Aimpoint (M) that has a longer battery tube.

There was no way it could fit.  

Your model has a shorter cap, but I personally think the Troy rings need to be a little shorter.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:28:05 AM EDT
[#5]
He rotated the Aimpoint around to where it needs to be and he says he still can't get the battery cap off.

I am very surprised that Troy would consider this flaw to be acceptable.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Oh this is some funny shit...

Sorry...

Well, it ain't THAT funny.

I just called them again to make sure their initial response is what I thought it was. They told me that they never anticipated that anyone would change the batteries while the scope was in the mount, and they also made the decision that the ring had more structural integrity if it was kept beefy. So yeah, it is a big DUH on their part.

They offered to swap my mount one-for-one when the new design comes out around June.

And like I mentioned in my post, this thing needs some serious lapping. I know it's not meant to be Badger quality or used for long range precision, but the edges are not very even, as evidenced by the marks that are now on my Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:36:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought rotating it fixed the problem, taken from what you said.  I see though that you still can't get the cap off...

I use a QRP and have a KAC on the way.  No problems like that with either one...

When I said funny, I was figuring in how we can have a thread here where someone has a problem with a product and it's fixed so quickly in a thread BEFORE a fight breaks out and people are called stupid!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Shoulda got the LaRue mount! Send it back....NOW!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I thought rotating it fixed the problem, taken from what you said.  I see though that you still can't get the cap off...

I use a QRP and have a KAC on the way.  No problems like that with either one...

When I said funny, I was figuring in how we can have a thread here where someone has a problem with a product and it's fixed so quickly in a thread BEFORE a fight breaks out and people are called stupid!

No worries, friend. I really did make a dumb mistake. It's not like I haven't mounted a scope before - I just got a little too eager to post my dilemma. Then I got too eager to post that it was fixed. Then I figured it WASN'T quite right. I've made a schizophrenic post, to be sure.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I feel ya. Who knows if the new Troy design will be worth a darn?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I feel ya. Who knows if the new Troy design will be worth a darn?

If it is, it likely wont be a better design than the LaRue which is now in its third revision.
No lapping, and the battery caps will definately come off without removing it from the mount!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top