Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 9:02:00 AM EDT
I'm ready to put a Super Sniper atop my 20" Hbar, but I've been reading lately that several scope manufacturers (Leupold and Pentax) caution against loctiting the screwss that secure the upper half of the scope ring to the lower base.

Anyone know why?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Hm no idea, but I do anyway, I don't care what they say
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe when you seperate the rings later on you have to put some "big ass" on the hex tool to remove the bolts you warp the tube?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know anyone that uses Loctite on rings. Good rings don't need it.
The companies probably discourage it because it may seep from the holes and get on your scope messing up the finish.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Or could it mess the scope's internals up when you heat the rings to get the Loctite off?

(just Loctited the screws holding the LaRue rings for my Leupold MR/T last night)

Edit: The LaRue Mount came with a tiny ampule of blue Loctite, that's what I used.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#5]
did you use red loctite for a scope?!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#6]
What could the manufacturers possibly know?  Screw them!  Just weld them Fcukers and show them!!!

fyi, torque specs on hardware are often "wet" which means a particular viscosity of oil, not loctite.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't know anyone that uses Loctite on rings. Good rings don't need it.
The companies probably discourage it because it may seep from the holes and get on your scope messing up the finish.

LaRue includes lock-tite with their rings.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Go blue Locktite.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I used Loctite
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Most rings don't "close" all of the way when they are tightened. There should usually be a slight gap between the halves. Since the ring actually has a spring like back pressure on the screws, they don't tend to come loose. This, of course, only applies to the ring halves themselves, not to the fastners holding them to the base (no throw lever rings). Most scope rings don't need LocTite.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Most scope rings don't need LocTite.

I would have to agree.  On rings, I do not use loctite, on bases I use the BLUE loctite most of the time.  Though using blue loctite on rings would not hurt a whole lot other than being a little messy visually.  I've use red loctite and it can make it difficult to "reverse assembly" when the parts are properly prepared.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know, I have been burned twice when  didn't put Locktite on my ARMS Aimpoint ring and on the scope ring in the past.  I always use blue locktite.  Nothing like having your scope zeroed and go to the range and have the shit all loose.  And then wasting 60 rounds before I figured out what was wrong.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#16]
My LaRue mount came with it. I put it on the screws. Mark LaRue knows more about scope mounts than I do.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:31:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I use blue locktite on my rings/mounts. Have never came loose nor have I had any issues removing them when the need arose...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top