Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/7/2006 7:23:55 PM EDT
I happened to see somewhere that they were selling a metal rod with a handle and some lapping paste,with the idea being that you lap the scope rings "true" I have never heard of this before.
Any one here do it ? and can you please explain why.
I am going to be mounting a new scope in a couple weeks and am wondering what this practice is all about.
dorson
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Lapping rings is a common practice among precision shooters, and some people swear by it. I always check my rings and if they are not out of true to bad I don't worry about it, but I have lapped a few pairs of rings that I thought needed it.

If your scope rings are not true, they can put loads on your scope that will cause it to be inconsistant, that is the reason explained to me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:47:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to never do it... now I won't mount a scope without lapping the rings. I have had even high quality rings need a slight amount of lapping to be perfect in roundness. It's easy tp do and not that expensive considering the high $$'s of the glass. Also properly lapped rings will leave no marks when removed. The system you mentioned is what I use, got ot from Brownell's.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:22:26 AM EDT
[#3]
  I'm using Burris Signature Zee rings - they are inexpensive and work well, even though they don't have the macho look many seem to like.  They use a floating plastic bushing to minimize stress on the scope tube and simplify installation, and offset bushings are available.  Bushings with a 0.010" offset are included with 30 mm rings, and 0.010", 0.020" and 0.030" bushings can be purchased for 1" rings.  They're inexpensive and work very well.  I use them on my spacegun to mount a VX-III 6.5-20x50 LRT and have never had a problem with them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone for all the info.Was exactly the information I was looking for.
dorson
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top