Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#9]
anyway to get a picture of the recticle after the 3X?  trying to imagine how it looks is all.  does the 1moa dot get magnified or something?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I didnt think it was possible for LaRue to kick any more ass than they did already, but I have been proven wrong!

Now, I just need to get a 3x mag., this mount, and a LaRue EOtech mount...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Talon,

There were two mount manufacturers asked to make mounting solutions for the 3X and Samson was not one of them, it was more of a handoff to him from another company. Not trying to start anything, just getting the facts out. With that said, there are several mounting solutions out now for the 3X, GG&G makes one of the best but it is not talked about here very often.

The Flip Mount is not for me but that is personal preference, I know a lot of people who like them, it looks to me like the 3X could easily be knocked back into the locked position during an entry and cause problems but I have not heard of that happening to anyone yet.  

The Twist Mount, a very simple, dependable design, the 3X can be stored in a pouch when not in use or easily detached and used as a monocular. The downside to this mount is anytime you detach something from your rifle there is the potential for loss of that item.

Larue makes excelent products (not sure that he has reached "god" status yet though Boom )
and it looks like he has made another excelent product, The only downside I see to this mount will be eye relief when the 3X is behind an Aimpoint, the rear of the 3X is already over the charging handle and it is halfway up the 1913 rail, when mounted behind an Aimpoint it looks to me like the 3X will be too far back. Monty, do you have an Aimpoint that you can take a picture of the 3X and Larue mount with? If so I would really like to see how it sets.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:17:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Looks great, thanks for the pics!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The center dot is magnified along with the rest of the sight picture. The center dot is about 3MOA as seen in this picture.

TalonArms.com

Thanks for the pic, looks like I might prefer that to my prior 2x Aimpoint.  My study of optics in physics was a long time ago, so please help me out here.

How does putting the 3x magnifier between the eye and the reticle change the dot from 1MOA to 3MOA?  I would have thought it would still subtend 1MOA, but would appear magnified as would the target.  Wouldn't they maintain the same proportions, just appear 3x closer?

If you were to somehow put the magnifier between the reticle and the target (ignoring problems with eye relief, FOV, etc.), then would this happen?  The dot would remain the same physical size, but appear over a target 3x larger, thus being effectively 1/3MOA?  I think that's how Aimpoint did the 2x 2MOA - took a 4MOA unit, slapped a magnifier on the objective end, and ended up with 2MOA (4MOA/2x = 2MOA).

Someone please correct my mistakes here, b/c I'm confused.

ETA: just read on the EOTech web page FAQ that the dot is actually less than 1/3MOA but they advertize it as 1MOA.  Assuming one could figure out holdover, that could be a nice setup for longer ranges.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:04:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Why the hell didn`t  the mighty Aimpoint genius`s make that 3x magnifier just screw on to the back of the Aimpoint itself?

Same goes for the Eotech, look at the body design of the Eotech it`s a perfect shape for droping on to it sometype of magnifier, hell you could have whatever magification you wanted with different magnifiers.
A groove on either side of the Eotech shroud and they could have a magifier drop down on it easily.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Why the hell didn`t  the mighty Aimpoint genius`s make that 3x magnifier just screw on to the back of the Aimpoint itself?

Same goes for the Eotech, look at the body design of the Eotech it`s a perfect shape for droping on to it sometype of magnifier, hell you could have whatever magification you wanted with different magnifiers.
A groove on either side of the Eotech shroud and they could have a magifier drop down on it easily.

For the Aimpoint there would have too much unsupported weight if the 3X screwed into the end of it and it would not have taken much to break it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#28]
And why does a simple 3x monocular, with no reticule or POA adjustment system, cost so damn much?

If Burris can make a 3x scope for less than $50, then why does the Swedish Wonder Magnifier cost $450?

Is Swedish glass made of unobtainium?  Is each one made by hand by buxom blond Valkyries?  Or are they made... ?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the Aimpoint there would have too much unsupported weight if the 3X screwed into the end of it and it would not have taken much to break it.

That could be overcome with a revised slightly thicker/longer casing on the Aimpoint so there would be more threaded area, it`s not like they have done alot of new RD to it to justify it`s steady price over the years.

All the Eotech needs is a new shroud with magnified optics that slide onto it from above  instead of that new deal hanging behind another NEW model.
You wouldn`t have to mess with the electronics or anything just a nice magnified optic.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Sort of makes me wish I had gone with the Larue EOTech mount instead of the Dominator. I'd love to have a little magnification but I don't think both would fit on the Dominator. May have to look into that though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

If Burris can make a 3x scope for less than $50, then why does the Swedish Wonder Magnifier cost $450?

Because the market will allow it.Remember when ACOG's were 1K because they couldn't manufacture them fast enough ? Trijicon moved to a bigger plant,started producing a shitload more of them,then the price corrected itself.

Once the demand for this goes down,so will the asking price.

Just an un-educated opinion of course
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top