Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 11:36:35 AM EDT
Hello AR15.COM Fellow Gunners....

I may have "Screwed The Pooch" on a recent optic set up for two carbines.

I have a Rock River midlength 16" flatop carbine, and a M-4 Clone flattop.

While I was saving up to purchase an EoTech for these rifles, I was "told" by a gunshop expert that if I wanted a "lower 2/3rds Co Witness, I would need to elevate the E0Tech slightly.

I rounded up a pair of ARMS #38 Mounting Rail with intergral flip up rear sight.  Figured "cool - I can lift up the optic a touch over the front sight, and still have irons just in case "Mr. Murphy" comes a knocking.

Well I finally got my EoTechs in, mounted them on the #38s and .....  

W.T.F.????  No way to see through the EoTech at all!!!  My sights would need "X-Ray Vision Power" to see "through" the operating buttons for the EoTech!  No can use the iron sights at all with the EoTech mounted atop the ARMS 38

ARRRGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Am I just plain hosed on this??

Knowledgeable minds - I need your experienced help Please!

(A) Do I need to scrap the #38s and go back to the bare flat top with an flip up rear sight?  (ARMS 40 or MaTech or KAC)?

(B) am I right if I do this I will move back to a centered Co-Witness regarding the dot and front sight?

(C)  Did Mr. Know It All get his AimPoint Fu confused with Kung EoTech regarding raising for lower 2/3 co-witnessing?

(D)  Any recommendations for a poor and confused shooter?

Thanks

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#1]
you bought the wrong riser... YHM, RRA, and Larue make risers designed for the eotech.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#2]
If the ARMS #38 is too high for AimPoint or EoTech,

then What exactly is the point of that puppy?

Inquiring Minds want to know!

thanks

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If the ARMS #38 is too high for AimPoint or EoTech,

then What exactly is the point of that puppy?

Inquiring Minds want to know!

thanks

BIGGER_HAMMER

#38, #38S, #38S-Ex, etc. are too high for use w/ an EOTech to allow co-witnessing of BUIS'.  The rails are not too high fopr the aimpoint series of EDS/CCOs nor are they too high for many magnified and NV optics commonly available.  The #38 family of rails was not intended to be used w/ the EOTech and its conception and design predate the EO family of sights.

/S2
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for shining light upon that SULACO2!

I guess it is off to the E.E. Again for The Hammer!

Swan Sleeve 38's...  Get Your ARMS #38s Right Here!  Fresh and Ready To Go!  38's!!  Get Your 38's Here!!....

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Why don't you return it to the dillhole that sold it to ya?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#6]
What  type  of  EOTech do you have? If you have the model that takes n batteries you can just cut the front of the Swan sleeve off and mount it to the upper receiver rail I have done this and it works fine. You can use what ever you cut  off as a riser for some other project (one mounting screw works fine). Why would you want to do this?  because you will take it in the shorts trying to sell the swan sleeves on EE and at least you will get some use out of your original investment and it still will work as a full length sleeve by mounting both pieces to the uppers rail.
Smokem1
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I think he took said "dillhole's" advice and bought them elsewhere.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Correct-O

Got them for better price on the E.E., but can't go back to the E.E. seller and say, "I got it all wrong - Thanks for the deal but on FURTHER consideration, I'm passing, sending you your #38 and expecting a full refund in 24 hours....

Uh- No WAY

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:24:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Dude...  Slow down, take a breath, and think it through before you act (again)...

First off, what exactly do you want to have on your rifle?  Are you looking for a fixed BUIS that you can see over, or do you prefer the folding rear?

I have an ARMS #40 with an EOTech mounted directly to the flat-top, AND I have a RRA Dominator with the EOTech.  I like both very much.  The cheekweld is better (for my big noggin) on the Dominator, and the fixed rear sight is not in the way any more than the #40 with the extra lift of the built-in riser.  I let a couple buddies try it yesterday at the range, and they were both impressed how the rear sight wasn't in the way at all.

What I suggest to ANYONE who buys their first EOTech is to attach it directly to the flat-top for a month.  If you still don't like it, THEN buy a riser.

After you figure out what exactly you want to do, you might be able to find someone to TRADE with on the EE so you don't lose money!  I traded another BUIS for my Dominator, so it didn't cost me anything but shipping.  

P.S. - NEVER listen to those "gunshop" experts.  They tend to repeat what they've heard (or overheard) so they are usually only half correct.

At least here on ARFCOM, you get the "opinion" of a couple dozen "experts", and can wade through the BS.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:27:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree with Onslaught, and any other Member that say's
"Do Not Listen To The Gunshop Know-It-Alls/BS Artist's"
One of my local gunshop geniuse's, constantly tells everyone that he is a 'Nam Vet and that;
"the AR15/M16 is the worst piece crap that ever was issued, and that the Ruger Mini-14 is the absolute finest 223 rifle ever, and the Mini-14's have never had any problems"
Now he is in his mid 40's, so I don't know which 'Nam he was in (dreamworld).  I thought that it was over "Offically" in 1975!

But I find it really amazing how many people actually listen to his BS.
LESSON, the Knowledge Base here is incredible, Ask here FIRST.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:35:23 AM EDT
[#11]
You won't have lucking TRADING them on the EE for what you want.

Just sell them.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You won't have lucking TRADING them on the EE for what you want.

Just sell them.  

Why not?  How often have you seen posts from guys who bought a RRA Dominator then asked "what's the best way to use a magnified optic too"?  I'm sure it's possible there are guys who changed their mind entirely about one set-up or another and would be happy to give the SWAN sleeve a try.

There's nothing wrong with selling them either, but there's no reason do discourage the attempt to avoid losing more money (or to mock my post by typing "TRADING" in all caps like I did)

Regardless of what you do, make sure you have really thought out what you want and have a plan so you don't waste your money and time again by listening to someone's matter-of-fact "that's how it is and that's the only way it is because I say so" BS advice.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Onslought-

Whenever you are looking to get rid of something, there are countless more people who have cash then there are people who might have what you are looking for.  That's what cash is for- it's universal.

I was looking at it from the standpoint of him placing an ad in the WTS OR WTT, not both.  His odds of selling are much greater than trading.  

I didn't mean for my suggestion to hurt your feelings or insult you.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:56:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Onslought-

Whenever you are looking to get rid of something, there are countless more people who have cash then there are people who might have what you are looking for.  That's what cash is for- it's universal.

I was looking at it from the standpoint of him placing an ad in the WTS OR WTT, not both.  His odds of selling are much greater than trading.  

I didn't mean for my suggestion to hurt your feelings or insult you.

Agreed, and I guess I wasn't clear...  I'd post it as for sale OR trade, and list the things he's looking to trade for.  

The problem with selling outright is, if you pay $50 for an item, and realize immediately that it was a mistake, then even if you sell it at your cost, you lose shipping.  Then you have to turn around and poney up more money for the thing you think you want this time, plus more shipping.  I can't tell you how many times I've decided I didn't like what I had, and within a few days (or even hours) came across another member among the thousands here who felt the same way about the product I wanted, and we came to a mutually benefical swap.

BTW, you didn't "hurt my feelings", but I caught the sarcasm, and since I am already woefully married, I'm a bit short on humor when it comes to wit.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks Guys.

Found a buyer for one of the #38s for $140 and bought two KAC 300 Meter BUIS for $135 for the pair shipped, so I have one ARMS38S, two KAC BUIS and $5 in my pocket to spare.

Gotta Love the AR15.COM E.E.!!!

Next time I will spend a bit more time going over the what is compatible and what is not before taking the leap!

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Thanks Guys.

Found a buyer for one of the #38s for $140 and bought two KAC 300 Meter BUIS for $135 for the pair shipped, so I have one ARMS38S, two KAC BUIS and $5 in my pocket to spare.

Gotta Love the AR15.COM E.E.!!!

Next time I will spend a bit more time going over the what is compatible and what is not before taking the leap!

BIGGER_HAMMER

Congrats!

Hey, let me know if you ever want to part with that other one.  I'm considering a riser for a near-future build... that might work!  Trade ya for it!  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top