Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 10:03:59 PM EDT
Or how to make sure your Aimpoint is really an Aimpoint?

Been looking to buy an Aimpoint when the funds become avaialble, so was doing some "window" shopping at a gun show today.

One table had "Clone" Aimpoints for sale.  What surprised me is that they actually said "Aimpoint" on the side as well as CompM2 4 MOA with a string of numbers under this.  Picked it up for a closer look.  The brightness knob was hard to turn and only had 5 settings.  Also it would turn full circle and keep going.  I asked how could they print the brand "Aimpoint" on them and they lady got a bit nervous and said she'd have to ask her husband who wasn't  there at that time.

To make matters worse, some of the reputable dealers had Aimpoints for sale, but the actual scope didn't have Aimpoint printed on the side.

So, what features does a REAL Aimpoint have that would distinguish it from a cheap copy?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
if you are handling them real aimpoints have the name engraved on the body along with serial#, model and the box along with lens cap has aimpoint on them. clones usually go for about $100-200 with mount and real aimpoints of its current state goes for $400+ without mount.

buy from a reputable dealer and you wont have to worry about it too much.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:00:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Aimpoints have more than five clicks on the switch, and will not rotate completely around. The Aimpoint switch is easy to turn and has very positive clicks, not the mushy feel of a clone.

Aimpoint glass is clearer. The clones have more of a greenish tint.

Take off the adjustment caps. The Aimpoints have a slot that extends across the entire dial, the clones have a smaller dial.

The Aimpoint comes with a one piece "double" battery, the clone with two single batteries.

The Aimpoint cover flip up solidly, the clones were much softer.

The initial settings on an Aimpoint are quite dim. The clone is visible on each stting.

HTH.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#3]
buy from a reputable and legitimate dealer here and you wont have to worry about getting ripped off

gandrtactical
csgunworks
adcofirearms
mstn

are all good dealers and wouldnt sell you a clone without stating so.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Regarding the "Aimpoint" name on the scope, if you look carefully, it should say "Ampoint" with the "I" missing.

No clones should have the "full" AIMPOINT name on the body.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#5]
For a range and 3Gun matches,  are the aimpoint clones worth the $100 they cost?

I wouldn't expect to count on one if I were a public servant or soldier that relied on such a tool.

NEVERMIND:  Found the thread.
Looks like a solid plinker but don't expect the real thing.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top