Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/27/2006 5:45:47 PM EDT
I've been told that if I mount my 512 on my flattop, that the front iron sights will interfere with the reticle. I can't find any pictures of this to prove or disprove this. Anyone have any pics? Anyone use a riser? Please post pics if you have 'em thanks!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Good question, I'd like to know as well since I'm eyeing a 512 for my flat-top Stag upper using a YHM Gas block folding front sight.

Thanks for asking!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not bad.  They don't interfere per se, but you can get a riser to put the reticle up a little higher.

Try HERE
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The irons will cowitness with the EOTech exactly if you mount it right on the rail.  With a riser, they will cowitness in the lower portion of the EOTech window - so if you raise your head a tiny fraction to get the reticle in the center of the window, the irons are no longer in your way.

I think the best part of having a mount is the QD capability, and I highly recommend the LaRue mount.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#4]
This is what you'll see if you mount the EOThingy directly on the flattop with a fixed FSB and the rear BUIS folded down.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:30:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've been told that if I mount my 512 on my flattop, that the front iron sights will interfere with the reticle. I can't find any pictures of this to prove or disprove this. Anyone have any pics? Anyone use a riser? Please post pics if you have 'em thanks!

Too many folks state their opinions as FACT, when it's nothing more than an individual preference.

I have both.  I have one EO on a RRA Dominator, and one EO on a flat-top with an ARMS #40A.

My PREFERENCE is to have the EO on the riser, but it has NOTHING to do with the front sight at all.  I just have a big head and have to squeeze in a little tight with the EO on flat-top.  

The EO's reticle is in front of the front sight in your view, so you never lose the reticle.   And since you use the EO with both eyes open, it doesn't obscure your target either.  The only intereference I saw was with a fixed BUIS and the EO on a flat-top.  I don't like that at all, hence the Dominator.  But with a folding rear, I can live with the cheek weld to save 4 ounces of weight on this particular carbine.

Bottom line, try it for yourself and see how you like it.  Nobody else can tell YOU how YOU should use it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#6]
LaRue LT110 is the best.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:31:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Not to hijack, but I've been told that the length of the 512 will not allow enough room to have a fixed buis behind it.  

I'm guessing that that's not true.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:26:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Not to hijack, but I've been told that the length of the 512 will not allow enough room to have a fixed buis behind it.  

Plenty of room for a BUIS behind a 512.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:21:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a 552 mounted without a riser.  With the red dot on the eotech at times it will be directly on your front site, but you do not even notice the front site, the red dot is what you see.  I have not tried a riser so I can not speak on what they look like.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:34:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I've got a 512 sitting on a LaRue mount (which takes up more room) and still have enough space for a LaRue BUIS and the ARMS #40 (I've used both).
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I originally had my 552 on the flattop with an ARMS #40 rear. And it worked fine that way... However I wanted to go to a fixed rear and just recently switched to an RRA Dominator, and I like it alot. Personally i prefer the riser and fixed rear config but YMMV. Either way "works". I'd suggest buying the EO and trying it on your flattop and seeing how you like it. If you think the FSB is in the way for you then get a riser.  It doesn't hurt to try without the riser first, as it costs you nothing extra... just wait to buy your BUIS till you are sure, or get a Dominator with a BUIS built in...

Personally I chose the Dominator cause I want a BDC on the rear... this isn't important to most, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

T
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top