Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2006 12:33:20 PM EDT
So about a year ago I bought my first AR.  It was a DSA.  Kind of a long story, but here is a short version.  The DSA I bought was a flat-top, but they did not come with carry handles.  So I asked the guy at the gun store if they had any and they did not, but he made one out of some parts for me.  The carry handle he made used the 8/3 style knob, the screw was too long to be placed on a flat top so he just cut it off.  Now I didn't know this was not gonna work so well, so I bought it anyway.  

Well the DSA I got was a total pile of shit.  It never fired good.  So I took it back.  Eventually, after much hassle, I got them to trade it for a Bushmaster, which do come with carry handles.  So now I have a rifle that works and an extra carry handle.

So here is my problem.  I recently built an AR.  I used a flat-top 20'' upper from J&T.  The upper works great, but I figure I can save some money by using my extra carry handle.  Well it shot WAY high.  So I adjusted the front sight and finally got it on paper at 100 yds.  But the front sight post was so high it stuck up above the V shaped part and you could see space in between the sight and the base.  So I put my Bushmaster carry handle on it and now it shoots fine.  I hit a 1/2 liter plastic water bottle with my build at 100 yards open sights on the fist shot.  

So my question is, is there anything I can do to fix the carry handle.  Would putting a new rear sight in it (with the 6/3 marking) do any good?  Is that even possible?  I tried to figure out the whole, short sight post, flat-top, thing but my head almost exploded.  So is there anything I can do? or should I just buy a new carry handle?  

There was a thread about this before, but I couldn't find it.  

Thanks for any help,

Nic
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#1]
get a taller front sight post from bushmaster if your std one is too short.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:33:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the front sight post I have now is long enough,  becuase I can raise it high enough for it to work.  But when its up high enough to get the bullets on paper it sticks up above the little V part.  I think I need a lower rear sight, becuase the one I have now has the 8/3 elevation index which is for A2's.  I was just wondering if I can put a new rear sight in my carry handle, and if that would fix the problem.

Thanks again,

Nic
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So about a year ago I bought my first AR.  It was a DSA.  Kind of a long story, but here is a short version.  The DSA I bought was a flat-top, but they did not come with carry handles.  So I asked the guy at the gun store if they had any and they did not, but he made one out of some parts for me.  The carry handle he made used the 8/3 style knob, the screw was too long to be placed on a flat top so he just cut it off.  Now I didn't know this was not gonna work so well, so I bought it anyway.  

Well the DSA I got was a total pile of shit.  It never fired good.  So I took it back.  Eventually, after much hassle, I got them to trade it for a Bushmaster, which do come with carry handles.  So now I have a rifle that works and an extra carry handle.

So here is my problem.  I recently built an AR.  I used a flat-top 20'' upper from J&T.  The upper works great, but I figure I can save some money by using my extra carry handle.  Well it shot WAY high.  So I adjusted the front sight and finally got it on paper at 100 yds.  But the front sight post was so high it stuck up above the V shaped part and you could see space in between the sight and the base.  So I put my Bushmaster carry handle on it and now it shoots fine.  I hit a 1/2 liter plastic water bottle with my build at 100 yards open sights on the fist shot.  

So my question is, is there anything I can do to fix the carry handle.  Would putting a new rear sight in it (with the 6/3 marking) do any good?  Is that even possible?  I tried to figure out the whole, short sight post, flat-top, thing but my head almost exploded.  So is there anything I can do? or should I just buy a new carry handle?  

There was a thread about this before, but I couldn't find it.  

Thanks for any help,

Nic

Try:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=237552
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top