Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/24/2006 10:24:16 AM EDT
Today I got my first ACOG, a TA01NSN.  I really like it and can't wait to try it out this weekend or next.

But I have a question about the front night sight.  Is it supposed to be off center to the right (if you are looking through the scope normally)?  And is this front sight fixed or can it be adjusted for windage?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think you will be happy with those sights.  

I think they shoot like 10inches high at 7 yds.  

Best idea for backup sighting is to have a throwlever mount and remove the sight and flip up irons if the scope ever is damamged or for some reason you want to switch sighting options.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you talking about the sight on the top of the ACOG if so disregard my comments below.

The front sight is irrelavent when using the scope when using it correctly it should just be a black blur ant the bottom of the field of view if it is even visible at all.  If your front sight works correctly when just using irons, and is not canted to the side than you have nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#3]
7 yards?  Any rifle sight will shoot very high at 7 yards, right?

when using the NSN's backups in a CQB environment, just aim for the family jewels and you'll get center of mass...

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes I was talking about the little post ON TOP OF the ACOG itself.

I have heard that the damn thing isn't worth even being on there, but still, why is it off-center to the right?  

Here's a pic I pulled from the internet.  I assume since I found this picture on the net that it has to be true, since as we know, everything on the internet is true.

Turns out that is a picture off of Grant's website.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#6]
The TA01NSN-- I really like it and can't wait to try it out this weekend or next.

Let us know how you like it -I,m thinking of buying one my self.
I found a few Good deals on the NSN here locally.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Nah, it's not off-center. That's just the way the housing is made. It is centered right over the rail/handle mount.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Nah, it's not off-center. That's just the way the housing is made. It is centered right over the rail/handle mount.

Wow.  If it is I sure can't tell.  I know this may not make much sense since I don't plan on using that front sight that much, but, does anyone know why it appears to be off center as the photo shows?

Just curious...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#9]
My guess would be because trijicon never cared wether the sights would shoot where they were pointed.  

Tap it to the left if you want.  

It appears you aren't planning on using it at all from the j-point perched on the rear of the mount where the rear backup should be.  [the front sight is just in your way now.]  

I would reccomend either taking the sight off and using it on something else or saving the rear sight and front sight somewhere to raise re-sale a little if you decide to sell.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My guess would be because trijicon never cared wether the sights would shoot where they were pointed.  

Tap it to the left if you want.  

It appears you aren't planning on using it at all from the j-point perched on the rear of the mount where the rear backup should be.  [the front sight is just in your way now.]  

I would reccomend either taking the sight off and using it on something else or saving the rear sight and front sight somewhere to raise re-sale a little if you decide to sell.  

That's not my NSN in that pic.  I just got that pic off Google to illustrate what I was talking about.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Just pull the sights off. They are worthless.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine is just like that (as they all are). Drop a plumb line from the front sight down the objective opening. It's centered. Do you think the .mil would really accept an off-center sight?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top