Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/22/2006 1:09:04 PM EDT
OK - I bought one of the YHM EOTech risers for my work AR15 (patrol rifle) so I could get ye ole handy dandy lower 1/3 cowitness.

I was fairly happy with it, but the zero seemed to move around several inches at 100 yards.  I took it to the range for a practice day, and noticed that if I knocked the EOTech left or right with my knuckle (not really hard, either), the sight moved in relation to my BUIS.  I'm sure it gets jarred around this much in the case in my trunk every day.

I looked real hard at the front of my YHM riser, where it goes down into the flat top and the screws lock it into the rail.  It seemed to be moving ever so slightly.  I took the EOTech off and tried to tighten it down a little more with an allen wrench, and both of the front locking lugs broke.

I took it off, mounted the EOTech on the flat top, and it won't budge.  I gotta say, I can't recommend this mount for duty use, since it is not really solid, and if you tighten it down, it breaks.  Pics below.  Hope this helps someone out there.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, thanks for the heads-up!

What BUIS do you use?  I have a 2nd Gen RRA dominator on one of my rifles, and it is absolutely rock solid.  I would have no problem suggesting one for duty use.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I use the MAD BUIS, I like the various apertures, and it's solid as hell combined with folding very low.  I likey.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Contact Stan at YHM and tell him your problem.  He will probably help.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Contact Stan at YHM and tell him your problem.  He will probably help.

You know, on most things I probably would.  I think I'll pass on this one, however.  This is just a riser, the design does not seem all that robust to me without JB weld, and it only cost something like $25.  I'm OK with the loss on this.

I just mounted the EOTech on the flat top, and tried to knock it off zero.  I couldn't do it.  I'll just leave it as is - it's solid, and I shoot well enough with it.  This kinda makes me think that the more parts you have, the more chances you have created for failure.  I don't think I could trust this type of thing again.  It would create too many questions in my mind, and I don't need that.  I think the riser would be fine for a plinker, but I just don't think I can use one now at work.

Thanks, though.  I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:37:55 PM EDT
[#5]
You should let them know you had a problem with their product, even if you don't want them to fix it or compensate you.

To tell all of us and not them, does nothing to address or improve a potential problem with their product.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a YHM riser and it moved a slight bit too.  I liked the price, but wasn't sold on the movement, so I sold it and got a LaRue riser and have never looked back.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I sold my riser since I like it directly on the top.

You have the old style of riser.  The newer style will hold a bit better.  The bar on the bottom is one solid row instead of the two.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#8]
There's always LaRue
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You should let them know you had a problem with their product, even if you don't want them to fix it or compensate you.

To tell all of us and not them, does nothing to address or improve a potential problem with their product.

Hell - I never thought about that.  I'll shoot them an e-mail.  Maybe this will help them out.

See, ya never stop learnin'!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
There's always LaRue

There is for people with more money than I have!!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There's always LaRue

There is for people with more money than I have!!!!

Well now ordinarily I'd agree with that, but let's look at the facts officer

$25 YHM mount broke.  You say (and I quote)

and it only cost something like $25. I'm OK with the loss on this

By your own admission, $25 is an insignificant value to you.  So much so that you don't remember exactly, just ballpark how much it cost.

By that account, you could use your EO as is on the flat top, while putting away that "no big deal" $25 away in an envelope in your gun safe every payday.  You obviously won't miss it.  If you get a refund on the YHM, that's one payday closer still.  Or you could get it replaced by YHM then sell it on the EE.

If, after just 5 paydays, you find you're OK with the direct mount height, you have $125 in your gun safe for something else.  Otherwise, you have enough for a LaRue.  

I justify all sorts of crap that way

Thanks for playing along. (all in fun BTW)
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:31:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an RRA Dominator mount as well and it doesn't budge. Very solid!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:36:01 AM EDT
[#13]
LaRue...You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#14]
OK - point taken.  I could probably get the Larue mount with a little planning.  There's only one problem - my wife.  I have been justifying stuff like that for so long, she's starting to catch on.  

I just justified a new scope, a rifle sent to the smith to be trued and rebarreled, some new mag pouches for my entry vest, some scope rings, etc.  And since this is more of a nice to have than necessary pece of gear, I'm kinda screwed for awhile.

If I find one more good reason to spend money on anything but her (her birthday is next week), I'll likely be killed in my sleep by a mysterious stranger (who looks a lot like my wife).  Probably with a blunt object.  Proabably way more blows than were necessary to get the job done.

Yeah, I can save my pennies for the new mount - but I think I'll lay low for a month or two before I justify this one.  It might just save my life.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
OK - point taken.  I could probably get the Larue mount with a little planning.  There's only one problem - my wife.  I have been justifying stuff like that for so long, she's starting to catch on.  

I just justified a new scope, a rifle sent to the smith to be trued and rebarreled, some new mag pouches for my entry vest, some scope rings, etc.  And since this is more of a nice to have than necessary pece of gear, I'm kinda screwed for awhile.

If I find one more good reason to spend money on anything but her (her birthday is next week), I'll likely be killed in my sleep by a mysterious stranger (who looks a lot like my wife).  Probably with a blunt object.  Proabably way more blows than were necessary to get the job done.

Yeah, I can save my pennies for the new mount - but I think I'll lay low for a month or two before I justify this one.  It might just save my life.

You can use your broken YHM to justify the LaRue to her.  "See what happens  baby when I buy the cheap stuff?"    
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top