Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/20/2006 8:19:29 PM EDT
I currently have a TA11C which has the .308 BDC with a red doughnut reticle.  It is about 12 years old but in fantastic shape, no problems with the glass at all.  I am building a midlength and using a high dollar stainless barrel in hopes of producing a rifle that will shoot between 1/2 & 3/4 MOA.  

I need to figure out which ACOG would be best suited for this application.  I would prefer a crosshair reticle but Trijicon does not make one that can be used in the TA11 series (could have a different reticle installed with a rebuild of the TA11C when it's time).  I am considering attempting a trade for another ACOG but am not sure which model would be best for precision work.  Anyone have any thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The ACOG is not a good solution for very precise shots from 150 on out.
It can hit golf balls from 0-150, however.

The scope you have is a good one.  My general recommendation for an ACOG for any general purpose application is the TA11.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:34:30 AM EDT
[#2]
nightforce
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:54:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the comments.  I agree with you on the TA11, I really like mine but I wish a crosshair retictle was available.  I believe the chevron, doughnut and triangle reticles are great for combat shooting but I was hoping to switch to something that would allow me more precise shot placement.

I agree that the Niightforce optics are fantastic and thanks for the recommendation but I'd like to stay with an ACOG.  I was curious is anyone uses their TA01's or something else with a crosshair reticle to shoot for groups and could share their opinions.

I'll admit to not having spent any time behind an ACOG with a chevron reticle.  Maybe they allow more precise shot placement than I am giving them credit for. (?)
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:40:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Chevron is great for accuracy.  The only limitation on shot placement is the low magnification...covering the fiber otic allows for a very precise aiming point...although if you zero at 100 yards then anything farther will put you into the BDC lines anyways...unless you hold over.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Like I said, the ACOG is not a good choice if you need pinpoint (1/2-1.5 MOA) accuracy beyond 150 yards, because you are below the primary zero point in the reticle (the tip of the chevron or the top of the donut), like bjwar10 referred.  At 100 yards, it's easy to shoot 1" dots with either of those reticles.

If you need to hit very small objects beyond 100-150 yards, the 3-9 M/RT is a good choice.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Well maybe I am wrong in my thinking about those reticles.  Most of my shooting will be limited to 100 yards unfortunately.  When I ship the ACOG back to Trijicon for a rebuild I'll have them put in the TA11F retcle and give that a shot.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well maybe I am wrong in my thinking about those reticles.  Most of my shooting will be limited to 100 yards unfortunately.  When I ship the ACOG back to Trijicon for a rebuild I'll have them put in the TA11F retcle and give that a shot.  Thanks for the info.

Replacing the reticle requires replacing the prism. Let us know how much they charge.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#8]
It's $299 for a complete rebuild which inclides new Tritium, new fiber optics and new reticle.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It's $299 for a complete rebuild which inclides new Tritium, new fiber optics and new reticle.

That sounds quite reasonable.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top