Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/20/2006 3:41:03 PM EDT
I recently found out RRA does not make a "F" fsb. Too late eh? Well, I also read there are TWO heights of sights, commercial and military.

Is this the same for BUIS? Which are commercial or mil? Or all of them military? This in a real pain in the ass.

Help a newb out. I searched for "FSB" and read what came up but most of the threads just dead-ended with no final answer.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#1]
www.del-ton.com/detail.aspx?ID=1162

Whoa! I may be kinda in the dark. But I am betting this will fix it.... being its .030 taller which is the difference between the two.

EDIT: This still bears the question, are there two heights of flip BUIS?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I would think not?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I sure hope I find out before I plop down $80 for one.

But I bet most of the manufactures are mil because that is who they designed their stuff for.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Just one height for most BUIS.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a RRA midlength with an ARMS BUIS and I had to turn my front sight down so many clicks I forgot.  It's definitely not sticking out too far...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I talked to someone at RRA and they claimed to have switches to the flat-top height FSB 2 years ago on their built rifles. He also said ADCO would probably be shipping those barrels too.

So I lucked out I think. Teach me to double-check next time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#7]
RRA is using "F" FSBs now?  That's news to me.  I got an upper from them about  2 years ago and it's not marked "F" and it works with a BM carry handle so as far as I know it's not "F" height.

The two heights are only .040" different and not everybody has a problem if they're mixed.  But some do.  If you do end up with a "mil" rear BUIS and have trouble you can get a taller front sight post to make up the difference.  It puts the top of the front sight the same as if you had the regular one on an "F" base.

As a general rule the "mil" rear sights are ARMS, Troy, LMT, LaRue and the "commerical" are BM, DPMS, YHM?, etc.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a RRA mid-length barrel that I've had for at least 3 years, and it has the F front sight base.

In fact, I've had two from RRA, purchased about 2 months apart.  The first one had the F base, a second one did not.  Both of them worked with the ARMS #40 without any issues at all, although I do remember the "non-F" having to be adjusted pretty far out.

As you can see, I still have the one with, but I can't prove it's a RRA any more, as it's been profiled and fluted.  Before that, the 1" thick under the handguards is unmistakeable.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
As a general rule the "mil" rear sights are ARMS, Troy, LMT, LaRue and the "commerical" are BM, DPMS, YHM?, etc.

Hopefully the YHM I ordered is correct then.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/slaughterhouse1/Rock%20River%20Barrel/th_44613dce.jpgi48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/slaughterhouse1/Rock%20River%20Barrel/th_da34b897.jpg
As you can see, I still have the one with,

I think mine is marked like that, but I don't think that's the "F" they're talking about, just a forge code.  IIRC the "F" is on the other side (left side) and stamped in by itself, not raised.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hopefully the YHM I ordered is correct then.

I put a BM handle (from the EE here, claimed to be BM, and the windage knob is purple so it must be ) on my RRA upper from 2 years ago and it worked fine.   A lot of YHM stuff is sold through BM, which uses the "commerical" height, so I'm assuming all of theirs is that height.  Following that logic, with the assumptions, then the YHM should work on your RRA.  If it doesn't, they make taller front sight posts.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
RRA is using "F" FSBs now?  That's news to me.  I got an upper from them about  2 years ago and it's not marked "F" and it works with a BM carry handle so as far as I know it's not "F" height.

The two heights are only .040" different and not everybody has a problem if they're mixed.  But some do.  If you do end up with a "mil" rear BUIS and have trouble you can get a taller front sight post to make up the difference.  It puts the top of the front sight the same as if you had the regular one on an "F" base.

I found the email...

Hi,

If you ordered a 16” rifle, you DO have a taller front sight housing, so no problems should be incurred finding a rear sight to work with it.  We switched to a carbine height FSH almost two years ago.

Thanks.

Steve/RRA

Sorry for the necro-post, but I figured it would be best to not leave it hanging.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top