Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/19/2006 2:08:33 PM EDT

I have a carry handle scope mount that I've been using with a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20X scope for accuracy testing. I'm not satisfied wth the mount for the following reason:

1) insufficient eye relief.  I am not able to take a natural head position without getting too close to the scope. The scope needs to move forward, but it is at the end of the mount. I would like an extended mount at the same level as the top of the carry handle (not like the lowered co-witness type scout mounts)

2) No matter how tight I get it, it wiggles! The is because it only has one screw. I dont want to drill the handle. I've considered glass bedding it. It could really use an adjustabile wedge at one end or some other way of taking up the slop

Any suggestions on the best carry handle mount for scoped accuracy testing?

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
get a flat top reciever?

carry handle mounted scopes suck for all the reason you are having. very limited options and not really great ones.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
get a flat top reciever?

This rifle is for CMP/NRA Service Rifle competition. While flattops have been recently made legal for Service Rifle matches, the detachable carry handle sights don't have as much elevation range plus they just add one more think to move accidentally during a match. This rifle is for iron sight shooting. The only time I use the scope is for accuracy testing (developing loads).

Also, a flat top does not solve the eye relief problem unless you and another part! Compass lake makes flattops with extended rails but they do it by machining off the A2 handle and adding an extended base. This is not legal for Service Rifle competition

I have machine tools and can make a better mount or modify the one that I have, but it's a PITA and not a project that I'm really interested in. I'd rather buy one.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top