Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2006 9:04:33 PM EDT
I just got my DPMS ap4 223 and am excited about it. I am confused about the scope though. I will mainly have fun with it but on occassion will shoot coyotes and hogs. Do I need a laser sight, halo sight, red dot or standard scope?

I am guessing you will recommend a standard scope...please give me any and all advice...things I should consider before going with any scope etc... I am worried I wont get whats right for my gun as I have no clue...

Another question... why would one want all the other options...just for looks?
I have a red dot on a 44mag and I like it but what are the advantages and disadvantages of halo and red dot. Is the laser just for quick from the hip target acquisition?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#1]
go to a place that sells scopes and look around or go to riflescopes.com and look around.

find what will work or appeals to you
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:10:05 AM EDT
[#2]
A good start is the 1X4 or 1.5X 5 range of rifle scopes.  This way you get close up and medium range shooting.  There are several companies that make these types of scopes, it just depend what you want to spend.  If you are just looking for close up stuff, then a red dot like Aimpoint or Eotech will do.  For anyone to really help you out, you are going to have to be even more specific as to what you need.  You have to tell us the ranges you are going to be shooting and how much you want to spend.  Also what type of round you will use.  Remember if you zero your rifle with one particular round and switch to a different round, you will have to re-zero your rifle because it will be off.

1.  Iron Sights:
    Uses:  (0-300 Yards)
Iron Sights have been relegated to back-up sights on most weapons.
A:  Pro’s:
Inexpensive.
Rugged.
Flip up versions.
No batteries.
B:  Con’s:
Acquisition is slow.
Useless in low light.
Difficult for those with eye issues.
Same sight picture required for accurate shots.
Examples:
A.R.M.S.® #40™Std. A2 Flip Up Rear Sight.  ($109.00).
PRI Flip up Front Sight.  ($175.00).

2.  Red Dots:
Uses:  (0-100 Yards)
The best CQB (Close Quarters) sight available due to rapid target acquisition.
Good all purpose Military/Law Enforcement sight.  Limited only by 1X magnification.
Excellent for hunting where speed is desired over magnification.
Generally very rugged.
Unlimited eye relief.
Parallax free (Dot does not need to be centered in the scope.).  (Once sight is zeroed, multiple users can use same weapon with minimal change in zero.).
Uses batteries.  (Although some have a battery life of 50,000 hrs.).
1X magnification.  (Although some Aimpoint Sights come in a fixed 2X magnification or a 3X magnifier can be used in tandem with some Aimpoint Sights.).
Can fail.
Examples:
Aimpoint Scopes.  ($300.00-$450.00).
EOTech Holosights.  ($250.00-$400.00).

3.  ACOGS:
Uses:  (50-300 Yards)
Good CQB scope with enough practice.  Best when used in open areas where magnification can be used.
Best all purpose Military scope.
Excellent for hunting where speed and magnification is desired.
Generally very rugged.
No batteries.
Fixed magnification for simplicity.  (ACOGs:  3.5X35, 4X32, 5.5X50).
Parallax free (Dot does not need to be centered in the scope.).  (Once sight is zeroed, multiple users can use same weapon with minimal change in zero.).
B.A.C. requires practice.
Can fail.
Expensive.
Examples:
Trijicon Model TA31F 4X32 ACOG Sight.  ($1076.00-$1267.00).
Trijicon Model TA55 5.5X50 ACOG Sight.  ($1419.95-$1672.00).
Trijicon Model TA11F 3.5X35 ACOG Sight.  ($1159.95-$1367.00).

4.  LOW Power Variable Scopes:
Uses:  (0-300 Yards)
Good CQB scope.
Good all purpose Military/Law Enforcement scope.
Good for hunting where speed and magnification is desired.
Variable magnification offers options.  (1-4X magnification.).
Generally very rugged.
Optical glass makes identification easier.
Batteries not an issue since reticle is black.
Not parallax free (Dot needs to be centered in the scope.).
Eye relief is critical.
Can be very expensive.
Examples:
Schmidt & Bender 1.1-4X20 Illuminated CQB Short Dot 30mm Rifle Scope.  ($2000.00).
Horus Vision Model 1000 1-4X24 Illuminated 30mm Rifle Scope.  ($989.00).
IOR 1.1-4X26 CRT Illuminated 30mm Rifle Scope.  ($695.00).
Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T Illuminated 30mm Rifle Scope.  ($699.95).

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the response's. I will generally shoot at 100 yds or less but if I go hunting I might shoot at 200-300 yds at coyotes.

Very helpful post santos. I really appreciate it. It looks like a low power variable is my best choice but WOW hey
What advantages does a holo sight have over a red dot?
Why have a laser in addition to a holo or red dot?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Very helpful post santos. I really appreciate it. It looks like a low power variable is my best choice but WOW hey

Why not just a regular scope, without the target turrets and illuminated reticles? 1/2 the cost.

Quoted:
What advantages does a holo sight have over a red dot?

+1 always wondered that myself
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Another question, what are the AR15s with 2 scopes on top? What are they for? Is it 2 red dot scopes?

Click here to see a picture
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Another question, what are the AR15s with 2 scopes on top? What are they for? Is it 2 red dot scopes?

Click here to see a picture

That is an Aimpoint M2 in the front  (near the barrel) and the Aimpoint 3X magnifier behind it.  You can also use the 3X magnifier behind the EOTech.  If you decide to get that set-up, get the Samson Quick Flip mount for the 3X Magnifier.  The Magnifier works best with the Aimpoint Scope with the 2MOA dot.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:01:24 AM EDT
[#7]
It looks like the best thing for you would be a low-power variable scope in the 1X4 or 1.5X5 Magnification range.  Some of the good ones are the IOR 1.1X4, Leupold CQT 1X3 Magnification, Leupold Mark 4 1.5X5 Magnification, Trijican Accupoint 1.5X4 Magnification, and the Horus Vision Talon 1X4 Magnification.  The actual best scope in the class is the Schmidt and Bender 1.1X4 Short dot, but it costs $2000.  The IOR is great and it comes with two reticle options, the regular CQB reticle and a new one that has the bullet drops on the reticle specifically designed for the 62 Grain bullet.  The Leupold CQT is also good and they also have a new reticle similar to the IOR's new one.  The Trijicon Accupoint is the least expensive and it has great reputation.  A lot of people like it.  Whichever one you get, it is best to get it with the Larue SPR type mount since some of these scopes have to be mounted far forward.  However, if this is too high in your price range, then I would definitely recommend the IOR M2 scope which is a fixed 4X magnification scope.  It is illuminated and it has the BDC Cam on the elevation turret for the 62 Grain bullets.  It is a good scoe that you should ge able to get for about $350.00.  But, your best bet is to go to a place that sells scopes and check them out and ask questions.  You might also want to check out the "Complete Guide AR-15 book"  But don't take anything you read from magazines too serious though.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top