Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/17/2006 9:55:50 PM EDT
As you folks know, I'm a DM in an infantry unit (Army) operating in Iraq.  Well, today I had an experience that I thought I should share.

All you folks with Ebay MaTech BUIS take particular note.

The setting: out on another combat patrol near Fallujah/Ramadi.  The characters: me with my M16A4 DMR, my buddy Caleb, who is a rifleman (M4), the rest of the squad, and some hajis.

We were rolling along the MSR as usual when our vehicle contacted a pressure plate, blowing the entire engine block several meters in the air and propelling the HMMWV off to the side of the road.  It turned out that this was one of those rare planned ambush attacks, and there were hajis there actually firing upon us.  After making sure that no one required immediate medical attention, meaning death in the next couple of minutes (I'm a combat lifesaver), I took up a position behind the ruined HMMWV and started supressing the attack, along with the rest of the squad.  

I turned to my left and noticed that Caleb was not firing.  It turns out that his EOTech had been literally destroyed in the explosion (he was driving).  As rugged as the EOTechs are, an antitank mine is tougher!  One might ask why he didn't just flip up his handy dandy MaTech BUIS and engage.  Well folks, the fact is that he doesn't have one.  The unit before us, who was supposed to pass on the MaTech units, didn't totally fulfill their obligation (shame on them and their supply guys).  About 10 soldiers, rather than turning in their BUIS, decided to keep them and/or sell them.  Result: guys in Iraq not having BUIS.  Now granted, this is a fixable problem, but it is a problem that should not exist in the first place.  

All you people buying these military-only BUIS, I consider you enablers.  I'm not going to go psycho on you, or post in all your threads about how horrible you are, because I know you're just guys trying to get the best gear, just like me.  But I just want you to understand what happens down the line in the real world, when necessary gear is on your uber-1337 M4gery instead of on real weapons carried by real soldiers in real combat.

I keep my carry handle in a pouch on my IBA, and I tossed it to Caleb, who quickly replaced the ruined EOTech and got in the fight.

Result: a few cuts and bruises, some tinnitus, a ruined HMMWV, a destroyed EOTech, and five dead terrorists.  You may all congratulate me on my tenth and eleventh confirmed kills.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:01:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on your tenth and eleventh confirmed kills

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you very much for your service.  There is no-one on the planet to whom I look up to more than a US serviceman.

But, are you saying that because I have a MaTech BUIS on my rifle your guys were without?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Not necessarily because you have one, but I want to make people aware that they are not available for civilian purchase, and that if you have one it was, in fact, at some point illegally pilfered from a line unit.

Hey, if I were a civvie and found one to buy, I probably would!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Point taken.

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats, stay safe out there!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:44:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
As you folks know, I'm a DM in an infantry unit (Army) operating in Iraq.  Well, today I had an experience that I thought I should share.

All you folks with Ebay MaTech BUIS take particular note.

The setting: out on another combat patrol near Fallujah/Ramadi.  The characters: me with my M16A4 DMR, my buddy Caleb, who is a rifleman (M4), the rest of the squad, and some hajis.

We were rolling along the MSR as usual when our vehicle contacted a pressure plate, blowing the entire engine block several meters in the air and propelling the HMMWV off to the side of the road.  It turned out that this was one of those rare planned ambush attacks, and there were hajis there actually firing upon us.  After making sure that no one required immediate medical attention, meaning death in the next couple of minutes (I'm a combat lifesaver), I took up a position behind the ruined HMMWV and started supressing the attack, along with the rest of the squad.  

I turned to my left and noticed that Caleb was not firing.  It turns out that his EOTech had been literally destroyed in the explosion (he was driving).  As rugged as the EOTechs are, an antitank mine is tougher!  One might ask why he didn't just flip up his handy dandy MaTech BUIS and engage.  Well folks, the fact is that he doesn't have one.  The unit before us, who was supposed to pass on the MaTech units, didn't totally fulfill their obligation (shame on them and their supply guys).  About 10 soldiers, rather than turning in their BUIS, decided to keep them and/or sell them.  Result: guys in Iraq not having BUIS.  Now granted, this is a fixable problem, but it is a problem that should not exist in the first place.  

All you people buying these military-only BUIS, I consider you enablers.  I'm not going to go psycho on you, or post in all your threads about how horrible you are, because I know you're just guys trying to get the best gear, just like me.  But I just want you to understand what happens down the line in the real world, when necessary gear is on your uber-1337 M4gery instead of on real weapons carried by real soldiers in real combat.

I keep my carry handle in a pouch on my IBA, and I tossed it to Caleb, who quickly replaced the ruined EOTech and got in the fight.

Result: a few cuts and bruises, some tinnitus, a ruined HMMWV, a destroyed EOTech, and five dead terrorists.  You may all congratulate me on my tenth and eleventh confirmed kills.

Did I not tell you to keep your head down?   Getting blow in the air is a no-no.  I hope everyone on your patrol is ok.  Good shooting.

Come home safe............
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#7]
What else are you guys lacking. Maybe ARFCOM members can help.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Well done.

You learned the lessons of Blackhawk Down. Take your gear with you. Do whatever it takes to get whatever you need.

Stay safe, too.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#9]
well what did caleb do?? shoot anyways?? i like good ending storys!! thanks for your service and for sending those bastards to there virgins!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:59:32 AM EDT
[#10]
There has been a guy on ebay selling "Flat Top Flip Up Rear RIFLE Sight COMBAT USED US ARMY" for awhile now out of Barstow CA. I wonder if there is anything we can do to find out where he is getting them and get them back in the hands of the soldiers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Flat-Top-Flip-Up-Rear-RIFLE-Sight-COMBAT-USED-US-ARMY_W0QQitemZ6606296545QQcategoryZ36071QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have been looking for a set of backups for my new build for a couple of weeks now and he keeps popping up with new auctions on these sights. I purchased a MAD locally rather than take a chance on getting an airsoft BUIS that won't last after the first time you flip it up or down.

It is a shame that people could be dying over there because some turd wants to make a buck.

Gordon
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:25:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for doing a job that I wish I was able to still do.  Im one of those guys who goes "Psycho" in other folks threads.  Now I can post a link to this thread.  

Stay safe!

Luke

PS Hey ARFKOM, how about everyone who has one of these sights donate them and allow them to get back in the supply system?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:44:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Good Story.
I am sure it has been done already but you may want to speak to Caleb about how important it is to stay in the fight.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:04:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Glad you and your team were okay.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:05:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Perhaps you can show Caleb where you carry your carry handle.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:15:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Thank you for your service.  I hope you come home soon.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:25:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Help an old Soldier out here, because this really bothers me.

You deployed with M4A1s (or M16A4s) with no back-up iron sights issued?  Yet you had optics?  

How did your unit get certified for deployment without conducting individual weapons qualification with your assigned weapons?  Did you have carrying handles you used? Or did you only qualify with optics?  That shouldn't have happened, as it is so out of whack with the marksmanship training strategy in FM 3.22.9 .  

You were supposed to recieve BUIS from the unit you were replacing?  Did those that recieve them zero their weapon with them (even with the laser boresighter) when they got them?

This needs to be dealt with so that this is not repeated.

What unit is this?  AC or RC?  (if RC, what MOBSITE did ya'll go through?)  I have some significant contacts in the deployment training pipeline all the way up to DOD level and can raise unholy hell over this.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:38:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Well. thanks for your service and getting your tenth and eleventh kills, but you're barking up the wrong tree here.  It's the people in the army that are stealing the items and selling them, most people buying the sights have no idea the items are stolen.  It isn't the demand for the sights that forces the GI's to steal them, it is dishonest GI thieves to blame.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:38:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Perhaps you can show Caleb where you carry your carry handle.

I have a better idea, I have two new carry handles I will be happy to ship you guys Phoebus if you need them give me your address.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:48:18 AM EDT
[#19]
First, thank you for your service.

I gotta ask...

Are you saying then, that your buddy made every effort to get the proper equipment, but couldn't?  Why didn't he have his carry handle with him like you did?

Sounds like it's more bad on your buddy than anyone here.  Just my thought...

I am a big fan of personal responsibility, and it sounds like your friend's laziness nearly cost him dearly.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:22:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah the guy should have had his carry handle in a pouch, or attached to a different rail.  But he definately should have had the BUIS that was stolen and sold by some other soldier.
Where do you who have the Matech brand BUIS think they came from?  Somebody who stole one or more from the military.  Maybe a few came from somebody who works at Matech and could actually buy one, but I bet that 99.9% are stolen government property.

These aren't on every rifle yet, because I don't believe that there are enough yet. They weren't issued when the first weapons were being issued, and they haven't all caught up to the people who need them.  So some units might have signed them over to their replacements.  Sort of like how the SAPI plates are being turned in while in theater, and re-issued to arriving units.  Would you say it's the soldiers fault for not being issued a plate that was supposed to have been turned in by another unit?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:46:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Phoebus, thanks for the post and congratulations on a job well done!  Come home safe and sound.  

It never ceases to amaze me that we can now get info within a day or so, as opposed to weeks and months it used to take to get this type of information, if we ever got it at all!  Gotta' love the internet!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:59:37 AM EDT
[#22]
WTF is MaTech?

I guess my gear-fu isn't strong enough, I just can't keep up with the Cool Tactical Toy of the Week.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Excellent.  Thank God you are safe.  I will pray for your safety tonight and pray that you kill and the entire coalition can kill off all the nutbags as soon as possible.

Thanks!  Thanks!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Which quick release method did he use (LT, GG&G accucam, big nut, etc.) to get the Eomabob off the rifle?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Has anyone thought to report this clown to ebay? I did.

Enough complaints about him selling stolen .gov equipment and he might get banned or better yet, investigated and prosecuted.

contact ebay customer service

edited to add item number 6606296545
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Help an old Soldier out here, because this really bothers me.

You deployed with M4A1s (or M16A4s) with no back-up iron sights issued?  Yet you had optics?  

How did your unit get certified for deployment without conducting individual weapons qualification with your assigned weapons?  Did you have carrying handles you used? Or did you only qualify with optics?  That shouldn't have happened, as it is so out of whack with the marksmanship training strategy in FM 3.22.9 .  

You were supposed to recieve BUIS from the unit you were replacing?  Did those that recieve them zero their weapon with them (even with the laser boresighter) when they got them?

This needs to be dealt with so that this is not repeated.

What unit is this?  AC or RC?  (if RC, what MOBSITE did ya'll go through?)  I have some significant contacts in the deployment training pipeline all the way up to DOD level and can raise unholy hell over this.

right on, you are the man!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Hey everybody, thanks for all your support!  I went out on patrol shortly after I posted so I haven't been able to get back to y'all til now.

To answer some questions, here is the convoluted process we went through to qualify before deployment (this is a NG infantry unit):

1. Qualified with M16A2 rifles.
2. Some received M4s and qualified with the carry handles (I was a grenadier at the time and kept the A2 w/ 203).
3. Some received Aimpoints and qualified with them, and a subset of those received BUIS, but most didn't qualify with the new iron sights.
4. In country, some additional Aimpoints and EOTechs were received, along with some additional BUIS.  At this point just about everyone had optics, but not everyone had BUIS.  No qualification or zeroing done with new optics or BUIS, except for a select few (basically the HQ guys who had time since they weren't on patrol).
5. Replacements receive a smattering of A2s and M4s, some with and some without optics, no BUIS for replacements (this is where Caleb falls, optic w/ no BUIS).
6. Strangely enough, some guys get ARMS mounts for EOTechs (Caleb) but no BUIS.  Go figure.

At this point, you have some people with optics and no BUIS, some with both, some with no optics, and people who have both, one, or no sighting systems zeroed (for example, the guy who goes on leave, and comes back to find that his M4 has been issued to a replacement and he is given an A2, with no chance to zero).

(I was lucky and got the hookup with my DMR, MaTech, ACOG, PEQ2, and lots of nice ammo.)

I am happy to report, however, that after I and some others raised hell (using the recent incident as a prime example of the problems here), these problems are being addressed at the battalion level.  

This is a prime example of the supply complexities of being a guard unit.  Equipment may be original unit stuff, or from your new governing unit upon deployment, or may be COTS, or may be receive-in-theater stuff.  Add to that a couple of changes of location/command during deployment, and you have a pretty complicated situation.

Another thing to remember is that while we infantry are all trigger pullers, we're not all gun guys.  Most guys will just accept on face what the Army issues them (or doesn't) and what the Army gives them as far as chances to zero/qualify.  I had my laser boresighter sent over to help guys at least get some kind of solid zero (I feel it works better than the "look through the bore" method), and I was amazed at how many just told me they didn't need to.

Trigger puller doesn't equal knowledgeable rifleman anymore, unfortunately.  That's why it's up to higher leadership to make sure that the joes are both educated and properly set up.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Hey everybody, thanks for all your support!  I went out on patrol shortly after I posted so I haven't been able to get back to y'all til now.

To answer some questions, here is the convoluted process we went through to qualify before deployment (this is a NG infantry unit):

1. Qualified with M16A2 rifles.
2. Some received M4s and qualified with the carry handles (I was a grenadier at the time and kept the A2 w/ 203).
3. Some received Aimpoints and qualified with them, and a subset of those received BUIS, but most didn't qualify with the new iron sights.
4. In country, some additional Aimpoints and EOTechs were received, along with some additional BUIS.  At this point just about everyone had optics, but not everyone had BUIS.  No qualification or zeroing done with new optics or BUIS, except for a select few (basically the HQ guys who had time since they weren't on patrol).
5. Replacements receive a smattering of A2s and M4s, some with and some without optics, no BUIS for replacements (this is where Caleb falls, optic w/ no BUIS).
6. Strangely enough, some guys get ARMS mounts for EOTechs (Caleb) but no BUIS.  Go figure.

At this point, you have some people with optics and no BUIS, some with both, some with no optics, and people who have both, one, or no sighting systems zeroed (for example, the guy who goes on leave, and comes back to find that his M4 has been issued to a replacement and he is given an A2, with no chance to zero).

(I was lucky and got the hookup with my DMR, MaTech, ACOG, PEQ2, and lots of nice ammo.)

I am happy to report, however, that after I and some others raised hell (using the recent incident as a prime example of the problems here), these problems are being addressed at the battalion level.  

This is a prime example of the supply complexities of being a guard unit.  Equipment may be original unit stuff, or from your new governing unit upon deployment, or may be COTS, or may be receive-in-theater stuff.  Add to that a couple of changes of location/command during deployment, and you have a pretty complicated situation.

Another thing to remember is that while we infantry are all trigger pullers, we're not all gun guys.  Most guys will just accept on face what the Army issues them (or doesn't) and what the Army gives them as far as chances to zero/qualify.  I had my laser boresighter sent over to help guys at least get some kind of solid zero (I feel it works better than the "look through the bore" method), and I was amazed at how many just told me they didn't need to.

Trigger puller doesn't equal knowledgeable rifleman anymore, unfortunately.  That's why it's up to higher leadership to make sure that the joes are both educated and properly set up.

I cannot believe people are there depending on there weapons for their life and don`t zero them.  Its not just them but the others with them  who depends on their cover fire.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#29]
from Phoebus

Trigger puller doesn't equal knowledgeable rifleman anymore, unfortunately. That's why it's up to higher leadership to make sure that the joes are both educated and properly set up.

That's the truth...That's why you see junior enlisted guys using beta mags sometimes... they don't have the experience to know any better, and then some guy comes on here and touts it's use cause he saw a pic of a guy in the sandbox using one.  Same with cheap Optics like BSA scopes and  the like. Not enough experience to know better to trust their lives and the lives of their buddies with that cheap crap

This is a prime example of the supply complexities of being a guard unit. Equipment may be original unit stuff, or from your new governing unit upon deployment, or may be COTS, or may be receive-in-theater stuff. Add to that a couple of changes of location/command during deployment, and you have a pretty complicated situation.

This is a good explanation of the military supply system.... and like the man say's, it's even more magnified when your a Guard unit attached to another unit that is active who has it's own supply pipeline, etc.. Military supply has always been a voodoo/science kinda mystery that is different from unit to unit and can sometime depend on nothing more then the Supply Sgt. himself and his knowledge of the system.

Guys buy stuff in anticipation of deployment and then find out they get it issued in Kuwait or their unit it buys it with unit funds or thru RFI, etc or the opposite, they think their gonna get something and then when they get to their final destination, they don't.

It's not a perfect system, but it's better then everybody else's....

I bet you see a lot of guys in the FOB that have BUIS and weapon lights and PEQ2's etc who rarely leave the wire... vs guys who are out everyday on patrol with A2's......

So when some guy gets on here and say's "Hey look at me. ..... I'm getting free stuff from this Army person I know" expect to get your shit jumped.  And for all you bucket-heads  who think it's no big deal  when some guy is selling 5 NIW BUIS or  50 NIW M4 magazines.... think about the guy or gal who may not have it...

Every conflict has waste and a black market that thrives on the selling of Government equipment. Were not talking about the 3 beat up AR mags you had left over in your sea bag from Desert Storm either.....
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#30]
oh and for the confirmed kills, my 3 1/2 old daughter appreciates you lowering the world population of 11 more Fuckheads so her future can be a little bit more terrorist free......
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#31]
congrats on 10 and 11, you guys rock keep up the good work, glad everyone was ok
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Stay safe!!!

Sean
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Congatulations on your 11th kill. Keep sending those bloodthirsty mongrels to hell for those of us who can't.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
First, thank you for your service.

I gotta ask...

Are you saying then, that your buddy made every effort to get the proper equipment, but couldn't?  Why didn't he have his carry handle with him like you did?

Sounds like it's more bad on your buddy than anyone here.  Just my thought...

I am a big fan of personal responsibility, and it sounds like your friend's laziness nearly cost him dearly.

+1

Thank you for your service.

Get another buddy to watch your back!
Not only did he risk his life but yours too. I would be pissed at him!

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Who would of known thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I think it's worth noting that you might be buying BUIS on ebay that are knockoffs misrepresented as Matechs. They would be perhaps fraudulently advertised, but not necessarily stolen. I say this because I saw some at a fun show this month. I seriously doubt they were real, becasue every other item in that booth was knockoff junk, and they were selling for something like $65.

I would be more likely to think an Ebay seller had airsoft/knockoff stuff than individual units harvested from returning soldiers. It would be more of a PITA than it's worth.

One more thing. For every underequipped soldier in the field there is a battle buddy and at least one NCO that failed him/her.

Just my .02.

Thanks for your service and come home safe.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I am definitely with you guys on the personal responsibility angle.  In situations like these joes and their buddies/leadership need to square things away.  And generally, that's what happens.

HOWEVER, these are problems that should not exist in the first place.  Joe's job: right time, right place, right uniform, right attitude.  Army's/leader's job: right equipment, right training, right planning.  I see this relationship breaking down more and more often.

I wish we all had the disposable income to buy BUIS for ourselves, but we don't.  A lot of these guys barely support their families, and a lot of guys take a serious pay hit with deployment (I know I did, almost %40).  They shouldn't have to provide their own BUIS.

Thank you everyone for all of your support.  I really didn't mean to bitch too much about the MaTech issue, it was just an emotional day when I first posted.  I really just wanted to demonstrate that BUIS, at least in real life, are definitely a Good Thing (tm).
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#38]
those auctions have been removed.

This goes well with those discussions a few weeks ago about Matech BUISs.  

I'm glad you are both safe.

Good job on those kills!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
There has been a guy on ebay selling "Flat Top Flip Up Rear RIFLE Sight COMBAT USED US ARMY" for awhile now out of Barstow CA. I wonder if there is anything we can do to find out where he is getting them and get them back in the hands of the soldiers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Flat-Top-Flip-Up-Rear-RIFLE-Sight-COMBAT-USED-US-ARMY_W0QQitemZ6606296545QQcategoryZ36071QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have been looking for a set of backups for my new build for a couple of weeks now and he keeps popping up with new auctions on these sights. I purchased a MAD locally rather than take a chance on getting an airsoft BUIS that won't last after the first time you flip it up or down.

It is a shame that people could be dying over there because some turd wants to make a buck.

Gordon

A quick look at a CA map will reveal that Barstow is 40 miles southwest of Fort Irwin (NTC).  Guy in Barstow selling military restricted issue hardware just a stones throw from major military installation? Coincidence? Sounds like CID time.  

Also, Barstow isn't that far north of Twenty-nine Palms.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:33:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I've seen several in the EE here. I just checked and most have been sold, but one is stall up for sale by some guy with only 35 posts here.

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=329065

I almost bought one a couple days ago for $70, but let it go cuz I just didn't need it. I had no idea that these weren't being sold on the civvie market though.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Glad to hear you and your comrades are ok. And good shootin!

Point taken too. On both counts.

Stay safe out there, and thanks for your service man......
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
oh and he

Not to mention those "Fuckheads" can't breed when they are dead. 11 CKs and an infinate amount of FH off-spring that won't be born from them.  Thanks for serving and glad your group is OK.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:47:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Phoebus,
First off thank you for your service and God bless.

You example drives home the need for a solid BUIS system when other optics are in place.  On fighting weapons, they are not optional.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:31:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Pheobus,

Congratulations on the successful mission.  As I do have much experience in the sand box I figured I would give my .02 worth.  I do not know what your rank is, but this sounds like your NCO’s are failing in the area of PCC (pre combat checks) and PCI (pre combat inspections).  This starts with the NCO’s making sure that the individual soldiers have the equipment they need to accomplish their mission.  I will not go into detail on this forum, but fortunately for me I had strong subordinate E-6’s to make sure that this happened before every mission.  When not running regular mission I had 30 minutes to be out the gate for QRF and recovery.  That is with all of our mission essential equipment.  If you want some tips send me an e-mail and I will gladly reply.  Stay safe  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:44:20 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

You know, I completely understand your frustration, but I'm curious as hell why your buddy didn't have his carry handle with him. The other thing that I'm curious about is the lack of equipment that you're saying you have because when we RIPd with the Guard unit that was here before us, they had better gear than we do.

BTW, congradulations on the kills. Sounds like you kept your bearings very well since I know what kind of damage occurs when your truck gets hit, let alone has the engine blown several meters in the air. Just out of curiosity, were you in an M1114 or a M1025?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:24:06 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
You know, I completely understand your frustration, but I'm curious as hell why your buddy didn't have his carry handle with him.

It is possible that the carry handle was safely stashed away in a ruck that was left in the humvee.  It is equally possible that he actually had his carry handle with him and simply didn't think to grab it.  I've never been blown up by an IED but I'm guessing it can be a little disorienting.  If he hadn't spent any time drilling 'replace broken optic with carry handle' into his skull then he may have simply not thought about it until Phoebus pointed him in the right direction.  

Good to hear that the story had a happy ending and congrats to Phoebus on 10 and 11.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Thank you for your service sir and congrats on 10 and 11.  There will soon be a shortage of virgins.  

ARMS #40 on my carbine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You know, I completely understand your frustration, but I'm curious as hell why your buddy didn't have his carry handle with him.

It is possible that the carry handle was safely stashed away in a ruck that was left in the humvee.  It is equally possible that he actually had his carry handle with him and simply didn't think to grab it.  

Roger, got that. However, I'd still like my question answered, See here is the thing. This is my third trip in my Army career to the sand box. I know that Phoebus is in an NG unit, and prior to RIPing with the unit we replaced a couple of months ago, I'd never worked with a NG unit before. I was amazed at the quality and quantity of gear that they had. So I'm somewhat surprised to hear of the problems in Phoebus' unit. Not only that, but I'm really surprised that an NCO let a soldier off the FOB on a mission without conducting any kind of PCCs of PCIs since that means that they didn't ensure that the Soldier would have his carrying handle, ie his BUIS with him and readily available. I'm glad that Phoebus had the presence of mind to toss his buddy his carrying handle. Obviously it did some good even though it wasn't zeroed to his weapon.

I'm an infantry platoon sergeant that is currently a staff wienie who would give his left nut to be out with a platoon again, but someone has to push paper and that gets to be me for this trip. So to read a story like this it really pisses me off that someone set up a soldier for failure by not doing their job. At least, that's what I'm inferring here. I'd like the details. Call it professional curiosity.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#50]
This story is another illustration of a few facts.  

First, optics should be on QD mounts so they can be ditsched at a moments notice if they no longer serve ther purpose.

Second, a BUIS should be available.  A fixed or flip rear right above the charging handle is of course optimal.

Third, you should be prepared to fire without a rear sight.  An M68 makes a great ghost ring and the front sight will get you decent hits if you shoot enough (a little practice and a lot of ammo).  Hey, it's better than quitting.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top