Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/15/2006 9:30:00 AM EDT
Are they reliable and accurate.

I assume it depends partly on the brand you buy as to level of quality, but in general, are they fairly accurate on their estimation?

I assume they don't project a visible laser to determine the range, correct?

Not like those cheesey laser measuring devices you can gte at Home Depot. I have one of those and they're kinda crappy if you are trying to take any kind of accurate measurement. But over a distance of 100-800 yards being on yard off doesn't seem like much.

I'm partly asking because I'm curious if this would carry over to the scope I'm trying to raise a discussion about here. I'm surprised nobody has chimed in on that yet as it sounds pretty cool. At mid-$400 range I'm not sure if that is a sign of it being good or crap when it comes to laser rangefinders.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#1]
While I'm not a big fan of Bushnell, a buddy bought their 800 yard model about 7 years ago and it works really well. On highly reflective targets it works out to 1000 yards if you do your part. It is sensitive to weather conditions but I've been able to range deer/elk out to 500 yards in all conditions. IMO its great for the money.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Pathfinder - if you are really interested - do some homework on the nuts and bolts basics of an LFR - the  output power of the beam and the difusion (spreading of the beam at a distance) beyond that  it is about battery life, durability, and getting it in your flavor of uber tac color schemes.

ps I have a non scan Leica 1200

Good luck
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not looking to shoot much past 0-400 meters. Seems a lot of these LFR's are rated for twice that distance.

So if you are using it in half that distance can you expect to get more or less accurate readings?

Again, I'm looking at the function of an LFR mostly in relation to the riflescope Bushnell is putting out this spring. It sounds like a pretty cool scope and I'm interested in trying one out... which more or less means buying one..
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
While I'm not a big fan of Bushnell, a buddy bought their 800 yard model about 7 years ago and it works really well. On highly reflective targets it works out to 1000 yards if you do your part. It is sensitive to weather conditions but I've been able to range deer/elk out to 500 yards in all conditions. IMO its great for the money.

+1.  My dad has one like that; can't remember if it works on shinny targets to 1000 or dull targets to 1000 and then shinny even farther.  Fuck if I know or car-it works.  Tested it many times on known distances.

You shouldn't have any problem using it at half the max distance.  I never have.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top