Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 8:04:22 AM EDT
This may or may not have been discussed before but it's always had me wondering...

Those tritium or whatever glowing material front sight post replacements for an AR. Unless I"m mistaken, the way they look, you can only make 180 degree turns for adjustents. One click or a 90 degree turn would result in a really dorked up sight picture.

So, in that way, aren't they seriously limiting in their function. Seems to me you would be sacrificing accuracy for a little glowing front sight...

Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:13:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:25:02 AM EDT
[#2]
think the tritium itself doesnt rotate or has some way of centering it without losing the ability to adjust elevation.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:34:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Am I missing something?

Yep.

There are 2 rings with the Trijicon & Mepro products.  You adjust the sight for proper elevation with one tool (with the longer tines), then use the other side of the tool with the shorter tines that just adjusts the top section (which contains the tritium).  Turning the top section does not adjust elevation at all - just the position of the tritium & blade.

If you want to check them out somtime give me an IM.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Are they worth the upgrade in your opinion?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:23:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Are they worth the upgrade in your opinion?

For a carbine w/o any optics - yes.  I put one on my KISS carbine and I'm glad it's there.

I've also got one on my primary carbine (which has an EOTech), because of something Giles Stock said at a class.  Something to the effect of "You have irons in case your optic goes down, and since half of gunfights take place at night, shouldn't your irons be cable of being used at night?".

I haven't had it on long enough to form a solid opinion about how useful it is yet.  It sure gives me the 'warm fuzzies' to know I have it there "just in case".

BTW in the Trijicon vs Mepro race - Trijicon all the way - much sturdier (I've had a Mepro vial break in one of my ARs before).
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Are these the Trijicon sights you're referring to?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Are these the Trijicon sights you're referring to?

Those are them.  I only use the front sight (Bushmaster sells the front sight only).  That picture clearly shows how they have 'bi-level' adjustments.  The lower is for elevation, the upper is for position of the blade/tritium insert.  BTW it comes with a tool for adjusting the front sight.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:20:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That picture clearly shows how they have 'bi-level' adjustments.

I see that now... but all the times before when I looked at it, not knowing how it worked, I wouldn't have put 2 and 2 together and figured that out. Interesting though.

Does it work well in the day also?

It's certainly an idea I'm re-evaluating... especially now that I know Forest uses it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Does it work well in the day also?

Absolutely!  Yeah they are wider than standard front sights - but who cares?  It's a carbine not a varmint rig!

One issue that comes up is if you shoot normally (top of blade bisects the target) then when you shoot with the tritium dot at night you will shoot high (as the tritium dot is below the top of the blade).

For COM shots under 100y it's not much of an issue IMHO, you'll still keep them in the 8" circle if you don't compensate for it.

One thing I found interesting with my Mepro, before it self destructed, was the difference in the offset between the top of the sight and the top of the tritium vial.  It happened to work out that when I zeroed in the day with the top of the front sight and the SMALL A2 aperture, it happened to zero the larege aperture using the top of the vial (Mepros vial is a line not a dot).  So the offset betwen the two A2 apertures worked out to be nearly the same as the offset between the two aiming points on the front sight.

I haven't tried this yet with the Trijicons to see if it holds true for them.  I suspect it will be 'close enough' though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#10]
So do you find yourself trying to shoot differently by putting the dot center mass on the target as opposed to bisecting with the top of the front sight post?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I find I tend to throw my shots high if I don't use a light as I always want to use the 'standard' sight picture (just replacing the top of the front sight with the top of the tritium dot).   For the distances I plan on using the sights that is ok in my book.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top