Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/13/2006 3:29:11 AM EDT
I have been putting this off for some time but I think I am just going to have to ask the question, wich optic is wright for me.  I have a new DPMS carbine with flat top and 11.5 in barel that I am useing for home defiens atm, but hope to use in 3 gun compition and one day for local serifs departments  tac team as a tac medic.  I have looked at multipal optics and can not deside what is wright for me.  The ones that stick out in my mind are the EOTech 512 and 552, Ami Point ml2, and ACOG ta31f.  but have also looked at some of the lesser models the Tac Point, and BSA both under a $100 but not combat tested (and generly I find you get what you pay for).   Curently I seldem shoot past 5o yards, and if I use the weapon for compitions shoots will be less then 20 yards.  The local tac team generly keeps there medics on the perimiter and I would only make entry if  there was an injurey.  I like the retical on the EO Tech the most, but like the fact that you can add a 3x adapter to the ami point.  The ACOG seems to be the best of both the EO Tech and Ami point but I have never laid hands on one so I dont know if I would like it once I have it, and 1k is alot to spend not knowing.  If you could help with ideas it would be great, will probly make my purchase at the first of march.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:10:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
....Curently I seldem shoot past 5o yards

Then you definitely do not need an ACOG.

I like the retical on the EO Tech the most
Out of curiousity, have you actually tried th EO Tech?

but like the fact that you can add a 3x adapter to the aimpoint.

You can also use the Aimpoint 3X magnifier with the EO Tech. There are plenty of folks that do.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it your weapon or your department's weapon?  (they may limit what you can put on it)

Is it an AR pistol or does it have a buttstock?  (some optics are easier to see from a range of angles)

If it does not have a buttstock, the Eotech may be easiest to use.  If it is a rifle, I would still prefer the Eotech.

BTW - if this is your personal weapon, it has an 11.5 inch barrel, and it is a rifle, I hope you properly registered it with the BATF as it would be a Short Barrelled rifle.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have been putting this off for some time but I think I am just going to have to ask the question, wich optic is wright for me.  I have a new DPMS carbine with flat top and 11.5 in barel that I am useing for home defiens atm, but hope to use in 3 gun compition

Is that for true "3-Gun" competition, or CQB competition where you sometimes transition to your sidearm or incorporate a shotgun?

Those are two VERY different matches.  I don't think your 11.5" barrel is very well suited at all for a true 3-gun match, but (if allowed) would do fine in CQB matches.

+1 what MattB said about the ACOG...  You have NO need for an ACOG, and in fact probably wouldn't like it for your purpose once you laid down the significant $$$.

Your two options IMHO are Aimpoint or EOTech.  Use both, and base your decision without considering cost of either unit.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:04:21 AM EDT
[#4]
The rifle does have a colapsable stock, with an 11.5 in barrel but also has a 5.5 in muzzel break on it so it is legal for me to have.  It is mine, the sherifs department in my county does not supply the tac team with there weapons so there is a huge range of them from ak's to mp5's but most of the team uses ar's.  About the 3 gun compition, it is with my local IDPA group and have not had a chanse to watch or compete in one yet so I am not sure, but most of the members use EO Techs.  

I have used the EO Tech, and Ami point on some freinds rifels, and like them both.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:31:28 AM EDT
[#5]
How does someone that spells as bad as you do, get to be a medical person?

Jeepers, you can't even spell "injury", how do ya treat them?

Mike
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:24:23 AM EDT
[#6]
lol i get that alot,  just brock down and got an eo tech last night, figured tat it i dont like I can just sell it or if I do then I will keep it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:34:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
lol i get that alot,  just brock down and got an eo tech last night, figured tat it i dont like I can just sell it or if I do then I will keep it.

Hukt Hon Fphoniks Wurkt Fur Mee.  LOL
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:05:19 AM EDT
[#8]
not me
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top