Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 10:18:06 AM EDT
Would you spend the $$$ again? Are You really happy with the optic for CQB type shooting? I'm debating spending $1K on a TA 31 with the chevron reticle for my carbine (Bushy Superlight). I looked at one in the shop last week but couldn't bring myself to spend the money yet. I need more input first. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Would you spend the $$$ again? Are You really happy with the optic for CQB type shooting? I'm debating spending $1K on a TA 31 with the chevron reticle for my carbine (Bushy Superlight). I looked at one in the shop last week but couldn't bring myself to spend the money yet. I need more input first. Thanks.

I am not happy with my TA31.  It was supposed to be a general purpose optic.  But for me, BAC is slow in close and does not work well in poor light.  Also, the doghnut is not precise enough for 200 to 300 yard shooting.

I started out with a TA01NSN with a Docter on top and after having used the TA31 for over a yearI am now back to that original set up.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#2]
inkaybee is right about the TA31 being tough for tight quarters work. In room to room stuff, no optic is necessary at all, and most work done here is reflex shooting

it is also not a precision scope for 200-300m shots.

Its the shooting in between, which is statistically where combat optics live- that the ACOG shines. It does nothing great, but many shooting disciplines well.

Considering it is a +/- $1,000 optic, its tough to justify one.  especially as a paper puncher and home defense shooter

But knowing all this............I love shooting with mine.

I suppose the choice is a more about buying a full-on combat optic than it is practicality.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh Hell, just get it. You know you want it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:10:42 PM EDT
[#4]
i am going on my fourth one.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the TA31F, TA31, TA01NSN. The 31 is my least favorite.

That being said.

I would take it over 99.9% of the combat optics made.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I would do the TA31F over again.  I didn't pay $1,000 though.

I have used it for 2 days in a 50yd and under training class.

I will be using an Aimpoint for this year's classes though.  It's just a little bit faster.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the honest opinions guys. You've confirmed my fears that the 4x is too much for a general purpose optic. I was hoping that the ACOG's great feild of veiw would help speed target aquisition. Right now the rifle wears a TR21 Accupoint. It's a great optic but I was hoping to loose a little weight and put the Accupoint on another rifle. I think I'll stay with what I've got. The variable magnification is great for an all around optic.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#8]
My biggest disappointment with the TA31F is that the tritium is not nearly bright enough for dark shooting.  If you're in a dark room aiming out the window, you also have no fiber optic illumination since there is little ambient light.  You just have a black reticle.  The short eye relief for the TA31 models can also hinder dynamic shooting up close, when you're likely on the move.  For military use out in the open, I can see how the TA31F may be the preferred choice.  

I'm thinking about just putting my TA31F up for auction and use the extra money for ammo.  Paid $900 for mine back in 2004.  I think I can get at least $800 back.    

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know about you guys, but I love my TA31 on my A2 Bushy 14.5".  
I actually prefer the "heads up" cheekweld to my flat top with TA31F when using BAC, and it's plenty enough precise for a weapon using Q3131A or any other military style ammo.
It's kind of a do it all optic, and maybe it doesn't do some things as well as a NSX or Shortdot, but it's very rugged and it amazes the uninformed when they can easily score hits out to several hundred yards with the weapon using the mag as a monopod the first time they shoot it.

This rifle and sight has sold more than one shooter on the AR platform.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes  but don't spend more than $850 for the TA31F. I've recently seen some in the EE advertised for less than that.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#11]
How many of you have tried both the TA31 and the TA01 with J Point or similar on top?

Which is more practical between the two for a 10 to 100 yard quick shooting optic for moving targets and then out to 300 yards with accuracy?

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top