Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 7:11:05 PM EDT
Besides the overall size and the 3.5x and 4x magnification difference, what's the difference between these two?

Which would you choose and why?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The main differences are the eye relief and the FOV. The TA11 series is @2.4" eye relief with a FOV of @29ft. at 100 metres(?) and the TA01/31 series has @1.5" eye relief with a FOV of @36 feet at 100 metres(?).

I chose both. I have a TA31F on a precision upper and a TA11D on a general purpose upper.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't think about the eye relief...thanks!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:48:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I just changed from a TA31 to a TA11 on my match rifle to answer the question once and for all for me atleast if the TA11 with longer eye releif  with the  heavier weight is worth it.I say its tit for tat .Atleast for me the eye releif of the TA31 was never a issue shooting contorded or not so therefore nothing gained with  having more with the TA11 as far as i could tell last match  .The weight differ is inconsequencial nothing gained or loss in my opinion  atleast on a match rifle .what i did notice was while shooting 6" plates at 177yds they were a little  harder for me to see and that surprised me with the  little X difference between them. At this point the  only reason i'm keeping it on is i already switched the TA31 to a 4gery and it is a little lighter and more compact.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the responses.

In reading Pat Roger's article in the November 2005 SWAT magazine he says the TA31 is effective from contact (the end of the muzzle) to 600 meters while the TA11 is useful from 50m to 600 meters.

I don't understand why the TA11 with less magnification, 3.5x, would be a problem as some on this site have said they have experienced in that 0-50 meter range, where the TA31 with 4x magnification is OK.  Is this just that some people can utilize the BAC and some can't?

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:17:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the responses.

In reading Pat Roger's article in the November 2005 SWAT magazine he says the TA31 is effective from contact (the end of the muzzle) to 600 meters while the TA11 is useful from 50m to 600 meters.

I don't understand why the TA11 with less magnification, 3.5x, would be a problem as some on this site have said they have experienced in that 0-50 meter range, where the TA31 with 4x magnification is OK.  Is this just that some people can utilize the BAC and some can't?

Tim,

I own a couple of both (TA31 and TA11).....Inside of 50 yards both ACOGs are slow, due to the magnification.  Both the TA11 and TA31 really shine at distances from 50 to 600 yards.  Take any 3.5x or 4x optic you have laying around the house (ie. a 3-9x40 scope, etc) and try to quickly get on target at 5, 10, 15 yards.  You will see that at these distances 3.5x or 4x is too much magnification and really narrows what you can see on the target.  Often times all you will see is a cardboard colored blurr.  But with a little practice you can quickly learn how to compensate to get hits on target at closer distances.

If a majority of your shooting is going to be 200 yards and in (with a lot of 50 yards and in shooting) you may be better served with an electronic red dot like the Aimpoint or EO Tech.  If a majority of your shooting is going to be 50 yards and out, I would choose an ACOG.  

I like the size of the TA31, but when shooting on the move, from odd positions, etc. the longer eye relief of the TA11 is a hands down winner.  I know Trijicon says that the eye relief on the TA11 is 2.4", but I have found that it is much more generous than that.  Trijicon states that the eye relief on the TA31 is 1.5" and I have found this to be true.

I am a "nose to charging handle" shooter and on carbines with collapsable stocks the TA31's work well for me.  In a perfect world Trijicon would make an ACOG that had the eye relief of the TA11 in a optic the size of a TA31.  You can't go wrong with either ACOG, it just depends on your personal preferences.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top