Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/11/2006 4:04:32 PM EDT
Well I need to get a scope/red dot for my AR and only want to spend around $150 for the scope and mount. Also it would be nice if it co-witnessed with my Troy BUIS, any sugestions guys? Right now I like the looks of the SPOT MKIII.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:13:51 AM EDT
[#1]
wow no one has anything to say?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Go with the S.P.O.T. Got mine from Grant at G&R Tactical and so far it seems like an excellent value. And great service from the folks at G&R!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm in the same boat, Stu.  I've been researching the issue for some time and think that a variable-power scope would serve better than a simple red-dot that doesn't have magnification capabilities.

My carbine is for home-defense and an EOTech would more than suffice for the distances I need to cover in the house.  However, when shooting at longer ranges, like a feral dog/cat in the backyard, a magnified optic, with crosshairs, really pays off.

From what I can gather, a 1x4 scope can work just as well as an EOTech or Aimpoint as short CQB ranges.  But, an EOTech or Aimpoint doesn't do so well at longer ranges because it only has a dot and no hold-overs or ranging hashmarks.  Yea, you can practice a lot and get really good at estimating the windage and elevation for those long shots, but....

Keep in mind that this is just my thinking from doing research these last few months.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember a post on here a while ago that led to SWFA for a Burris Fullfield or a Loopy 1-4 Shotgun scope...almost bought one then splurged for an IOR M2, both of those scopes were approx $150-180 with variable power...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#5]
What about the clone that  jackyiscxd sells in the EE vs. the SPOT.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#7]
All right right now its pretty much been narrowed down to 2 choices:
1.) SPOT MK III
More expensive
Better CS from dealers most likely
Proven to me at least that it can take a few licks

2.) Aimpoint Clone from jackyixcd
Less expensive
Prob loose $80 if it goes tits up after 3 days.
Not as proven as the SPOT
*Anyone know what happend to the orignal tacopints, where to get one?*

What do yall think? Anyone got confirmation that the aimpoint clone from jackyixcd is really an unbranded tacpoint? Also what style of mount should I get for either one if I want it to co-witness with a Troy BUIS and an F-marked sight base.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top