Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 9:20:34 AM EDT
Hello everyone. I just bought an XM15-E2S with the A3 sights and removable carry handle. I love this gun. I have several newbie questions related to the sights.. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Is there a difference in the elevation of the bullet impact when switching from the small rear aperture to the larger aperture?  I prefer the smaller aperture when target shooting, regardless of the range, although the instructions say to use the larger aperture for 0 to 200 yards. I’m not concerned with rapid target aquisistion when target shooting.
2. I find it impractical to shoot more than 100 yards with open sights (for my skill level –  I’m sure many of you guys can make use of the 400 meter setting). The factory instructions don't really work for me. Is there a way I can zero mine in at 50 yards and then use the rear dial for longer ranges, such as 100 yards, maybe 150, and 200 yards?
3. O.K. this one is definitely a newbie question (I normally shoot a .270 w/ a scope): with typical open sights, you have to line up the front sight in the “V” in the back, and where to hold the elevation is apparent. With the sights on my XM15, you can’t tell how much of the front sight should be held above the base of the opening in the rear aperture.  I guess the obvious answer is to just be consistent when you sight it in and then always line up the sights the same way. How do you guys do it?
4. Does someone sell a cheap tool for adjusting the front sight, or is there an easier way, other than using a bullet to depress the detent and then try to rotate the post with small needle nose pliers?

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Look this link over and see if it will be any help

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#2]
for # 1, No, there is no difference. I find the larger one more comfortable and faster on target. But go with your comfort level

# 2 - The IBZ method that usagold linked is a terrific resource and that instruction is easy to follow

# 3 - this is a practice thing and you too will become proficient in relatively short time

4. many sources for the sight adjustment tool. Brownell's, Bushmaster, and others. They are about $6-$8

welcome to the site, and congratulations on your new Bushmaster!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#3]
USAGold, and Redfisher- thank you very much for your replies and for the congrats on my new baby. It's an awesome weapon.

I will take a look at that website, and also hope that I'll get used to the rear site.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top