BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/11/2006 6:53:56 AM EDT
http://armory.ar15.com/content/features/SHOT/2006/media/IMG_0062.jpg

Anyone get any more info on this?

Is it a red dot or ???

I was considering picking up an Aim Point recently but a dot sight with a zoom could be real nice ^_^

j
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Its a direct competitior with the S&BShort Dot.  Should be in the $1800 ish price range.  A bargain really compared to the Short Dot.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn...And I thought $400 for an AimPoint was steep ^_^;

I'll have to check it out for myself at some point before I get too excited.

Thanks!

J
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I just ordered one! Expect to pay $1400 (RETAIL) plus! If you can find one! I know its alot but you get what you pay for ie: Quality and the first kid on the block with one! Go to the Elcan website for more info and great interactive pages.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Ahh the Specter DR

Very nice ^_^

j
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I played with this at Shot, I was impressed to say the least.  I really liked the throw lever for magnification.  Too bad it isn't 500-700 they would sell a ton.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is the link to Elcans sight .
http://elcan.phpinternet.com/specter_DR/

Where did you order one from?

I cant wait to get one!

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:25:12 AM EDT
[#7]
At only $1400 I may have to buy the thing.  Here are the advantages over the Short Dot.

Drop claibrations built into the reticle.
Has same exit pupil and eye relief on either magnification.
Has red dot for 1X or illuminated crosshairs for 4X or the other way around if you like.
Weighs over 5 ounces less than the Short Dot plus Larue mount.
Much shorter than the Short Dot.
Reticle works on 1X with no batteries better than Short Dot.
At least $700 less expensive than the Short Dot plus Larue mount.

Negatives?

No Larue mount to replaces the ARMS crap.
Has EXTERNAL windage and elevation adjustments. Huge negative.
Unknown if it is as bright as an Aimpoint on the highest dot setting.
Unknown quality of glass.

Thats it.

I want to know hwere you ordered the optic from as well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:28:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I played with this a Shot, I was impressed to say the least.  I really liked the throw lever for magnification.  Too bad it isn't 500-700 they would sell a ton.

Yeah at 5-700 I would get one in a heartbeat. As it stands I want some solid feedback from professionals.

There's a thread on lightfighter about it:

http://lightfighter.net/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/2811094651/m/7651057081

Some people seem to have used them and were pretty impressed. Though everyone was wondering what tech is inside that it's so expensive...

j
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is my post from this Elcan thread:

Quoted:
What kind of batteries does it use? I think someone mentioned the coin type, just wanted to make sure.

CR123, and it only uses 1.

Battery life?

He said about 3 months continuous on the highest setting.  Very frugal on the power.

Is the illumination adjustable?

Yes, and what is cool is that you can have a bright dot, or rotate the power knob back and it removes the dot and illuminates the staida crosshairs, very similar in look to the ACOG TAO1NSN.

So it's a fixed 1x & 4x, not variable between 1-4x?

Correct, but thats the best thing about it, there is a simple lever, with a very positive cammed feel to it, that you just flip and poof, instant zoom or instant wide field of view.

Does the reticle change somehow when you throw the magnification lever?

It doesn't change, as there is always a crosshair and staida reticle in view, but the power button controls how the illumination affects the sight, so that you can have an aimpoint style dot, in either 1 or 4 power, or you can have an illuminated crosshair in 1 or 4 power.   Think of it this way; with this one sight, you have both an Aimpoint, and an ACOG TA01, and you can switch from one to the other  in less than two seconds.

So it's a fixed reticle, like the CQ/T that you can see when it's not illuminated? That's pretty nice.

Yep.  With no illumination it looks like the ACOG.

Not that it's a turn-on for me but can you co witness iron sights with it?

I should've checked this better, but the front sight post on the dummy gun they had the scope mounted on was dead center of the reticle as a blue blur, so I'm pretty sure they'll cowitness.

Why wouldn't it hold a zero?

I think some people have had issues with elcan's windage and elevation adjustments being built into the mounts, but I dunno.

What's wrong with the ARMS mount? I have one on my CQ/T and it's sweet.

ARMS is no longer the flavor of the week to some.  I think their mounts are good, and apparently so does elcan.

Is the ARMS mount built into the sight or could you remove/replace it?

Didn't ask, but if people really don't like the ARMS mount then someone will come up with an alternative.  LaRue comes to mind.

$1250? I'd buy it for that price... after I sell some shit. Looks like a sweetheart of a scope.

It really, really is.  He quoted me $1250 as dealer price, MSRP being like $1400 or so.  I think it's absolutely worth it.  This, more than anything else I saw at the show, made my jaw drop, and I told the guy (after fondling it for 15 minutes) that they were going to sell an assload of them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:50:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep, Mike is right. I talked to one of the reps and he said because certain agencys or units cannot make up their minds they are going to release those 400. After that it depends on who wants them next.
Not to brag, well actually I want to, I ordered mine! No hesitation whatsoever!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top