Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/8/2006 1:48:51 PM EDT
Hey folks,

Looking at buying a Stag Arms 2H flat-top upper.  Ultimately I want to install a red dot but no time soon (budget).  This might be a stupid question, but when I get ready to put the red dot on there, will the fixed front sight become an issue?  I.E., will it significantly block my field of vision through the red dot and therefore interfere with using the red dot effectively?  Would I be better off going with the 3H upper that has no sights whatsoever, and just adding removable front and rear sights for the time being?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Many prefer to have the front sight base in the middle to lower half of their red dot optic, and use a back-up iron sight (BUIS) behind it. This is called co-witnessing. If something happens to the optic, the iron sights can still be used through the failed optic.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:09:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Depending on the way the red dot will mount, yes, the FSB will probably get in the way.  A riser/rail segment will probably solve that problem.  I removed my FSB on a 16" Carbine length HBAR, ground it down into a gas block, then free floated a full rifle length YHM rail system to solve the problem
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Depending on the way the red dot will mount, yes, the FSB will probably get in the way.  A riser/rail segment will probably solve that problem.  I removed my FSB on a 16" Carbine length HBAR, ground it down into a gas block, then free floated a full rifle length YHM rail system to solve the problem

Whoa, hold up there partner. Raising up the optic so the front sight is no longer visible through it is not the best way to do it.

In order to get the front sight out of the optic's window, you would have to raise the red dhot up significantly. This is basically the same as mounting the optic on the carry handle which is not the preferred way to do it, for the most part. When you raise the optic too far about the bore, it becomes more difficult to get a zero that works well (no excessive holdover) within 200 yards. If you don't care about having a front sight, then that's cool. That's your choice albeit a less common one.

To answer the OP's question, if you are focusing on the target, the front sight will magically "ghost" away because you are not focusing on it. The safest and smartest bet is to get your red-dot, mount it up and use it with the fixed front sight for a little while and decide for yourself whether or not you like it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't sweat the front sight mount. Looking at the red dot and your acquired target, you won't even notice the iron sight. Typically the red dot will sit right on top of the front sight blade.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys!  Your advice has been much appreciated and you've addressed pretty much all of my concerns.  I was worried about having to elevate the optic, which would seem silly if you're buying a flat-top receiver to begin with.  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:23:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Raising a red dot a little bit is fine. With EO Techs, some folks mount them directly to the flat top and the irons are in the middle of the window. By using a Larue EO Tech mount, the irons will appear in the lower third. The difference in height is very small, somewhere between .125 and .25 inches but don't quote me on that.

If you're mounting an Aimpoint on an AR, you definitely want to raise the optic up a bit. That means either using mounts like the ARMS #22M68 (irons in the center of the glass) or the Larue mounts (irons in the lower third of the glass).
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top