Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 9:19:32 PM EDT
Just something i've been milling ovre in my head for some strange recently.. I've been running my NSN ACOG for about a year now and i love the thing.. I'm not sure if it's NV compatable, but would be good for picking off zombies at a longer range

Aimpoint faster to target for me, but no mag, and uses batteries. I know it's NV compatable.

SO whaddaya think? if ya had one on one gun and those are the two options?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Either way, you are better of with an IR laser... or a class.  When was the last time you licked a window or sucked a moose cock?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
i would pick the aimpoint over the nsn and with the battery life of the new aimpoints i dont see it being an issue.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#3]
not a cop so no IR laser, and no desire for any handy dandy little classes.. I *AM* the class
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i would pick the aimpoint over the nsn and with the battery life of the new aimpoints i dont see it being an issue.

what is the battery life of the things? Mine's not brand new, it's maybe 4yrs old. Think I got it on 02. COMPML2
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
not a cop so no IR laser, and no desire for any handy dandy little classes.. I *AM* the class

They are available on the second hand market.

And ake the class.  You'll learn how much you didn't know.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#6]
frome aimpoint.com

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

OPTICAL DATA

System Passive Red Dot Collimator Reflex Sight
Magnification 1X
Eye relief  Unlimited
Reticle, size  2 and 4 MOA *
Optical coating  Anti reflex, 1st, 2nd and 3rd Generation NVD compatible (M2 only)

ELECTRONIC DATA
Battery Type One 3 Volt Lithium battery type 2L76 or DL1/3N
Battery Life, typical** 50,000 hours at setting 7 out of 10
Switch, dot brightness 10 settings – 4 NVD, 6 Daylight of which 1Extra Bright

MECHANICAL DATA  
Material housing Extruded, high strength aluminum, hard anodized, black, non-glare finishSight body and mount protected by a rubber cover, mat black
Surface finish Hard anodized, matte, Dark Graphite Gray
Material lens covers Thermoplastic elastomer, black, non-glare finish
Adjustment 1 click = 10 mm at 80 meters = 13 mm at 100 meters = ½" at 100 yds
Mounting 1 ring, 30 mm or Aimpoint QR

DIMENSIONS
Length 130 mm (5.1” )
Width/height 55 mm x 55 mm (2.2” x 2.2 ”)
Ring width  Max 30 mm (1.2")
Weight 220 grams (7.8 oz) incl. lens covers. Rubber cover 50 grams (1.7 oz)

ENVIRONMENTAL DATA
Temperature Range -45 o C to +71o C (-50 o F to +160 o F)
Water resistance 45 meters (135 ft)
*MOA (Minute Of Angle) 1 MOA = 30 mm at 100 meters = 1" at 100 yards
**NEW ACET technology  

also stated in article:
500,000 hours of use on NVD setting
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are available on the second hand market.

And ake the class.  You'll learn how much you didn't know.

i'm not big on buying second hand stuff really.
yet again no desire, and no chance of me wasting my time/money in a class taught by some civilian who's never been in combat playing commando... They can't teach me anything i haven't taught 3,000 Marines.  8532

i've had people come through that had taken these high dollar classes and it was a bitch to try to teach them the right way to do anything "Sgt, my instructor told me." Make ya wanna choke the shit out of people
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
frome aimpoint.com
snip

hrm,

dumb question though, doesn't say what model that's for.. I'm going to assume they're prety much all different? New model better life?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok snaps, you get a pass.

I'd get the M68, then.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#10]
damn problem is I got out before Iraq.... these fancy new sights were very small scale

at least now i can say "OLD CORPS" and talk about the good old days when we used iron sights.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Optics are a huge improvement, but the Corps chose the wrong ACOG.  A Compact ACOG would have been a much more appropriate choice for the majority of use- under 100M.  That said, an M68 is the best choice at close distance. The batteries on the new model last forever.   A REV F EOTech comes reccomended by people who don't like EOTechs, so don't discount them.

The best ACOG's are the TA31 series, with dual illumination.  I ran a TA01NSN for a while, and did not like it that much.  Doesn't perform on the 3M line.

The lack of magnification isn't a huge worry, because NVG's are a limit on effective range in and of themselves.  

I added some info that you didn't want and don't need for all the people who are reading this and making their own decisions.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not a fan of the EOtech, I've shot them i just for some reason don't think it looks right.. Kind of messes with me for some reason

ANwyays I've heard before that the NSN is NV compatable but what i know about NV tells me i'd have to remove my sight to put the NV behind it which i'm not a fan of. Waiting on an email from Trijion to explain it all

way i figure too is that i've got two sights at home... I figure i gotta use one... if I pull the ACOG off though and go back toe the AIMPOINT i may have to do an A4 or something to use that on
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
frome aimpoint.com
snip

hrm,

dumb question though, doesn't say what model that's for.. I'm going to assume they're prety much all different? New model better life?

m3
ml3 (not the nv though)
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I have not used an ACOG in front of an NVD, but I have seen pics. It shows up, but it is a little bright and blooms. An Aimpoint doesnt bloom, but it doesnt have stadia lines and magnification.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:11:08 PM EDT
[#15]
^^
did you by chacne save these pics?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#16]
nah, but I will see if I can find them. If I dont reply, its cause I couldnt.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#17]
no worries, just thought i'd take a chance and see if maybe you did and weren't thinking to post them
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:36:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
no worries, just thought i'd take a chance and see if maybe you did and weren't thinking to post them

Couldnt find them, even with a google search.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#19]
thansk for tryin'  though..
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top