Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/5/2006 1:39:18 PM EDT
The MOA values are only correct at certain magnification values, correct?

I was looking at the Nightforce website on the Reticles section. The Mil-dot was quoted as having dots set at 1 MOA, equel to 3.6 inches. But, the NP-R2 reticle has 2 MOA marks, equel to 2 inches at 100 yards.

Am I correct then that the dots/marks ranging ability is dependant on the magnification setting and target distance? You'd think they would have included that info with each scope model (which mag/range the reticle was calibrated for).

Trying to decide between Mil-dot and NP-R2
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The MOA values are only correct at certain magnification values, correct?

I was looking at the Nightforce website on the Reticles section. The Mil-dot was quoted as having dots set at 1 MOA, equel to 3.6 inches. But, the NP-R2 reticle has 2 MOA marks, equel to 2 inches at 100 yards.

Am I correct then that the dots/marks ranging ability is dependant on the magnification setting and target distance? You'd think they would have included that info with each scope model (which mag/range the reticle was calibrated for).

Trying to decide between Mil-dot and NP-R2

If the reticle is in the First Focal Plane, then it doesn't matter what magnification it is in.  That is the Advantages of FFP scopes.  If the reticle is in the Second Focal Plane, then it is designed for a specific magnification.  But I think the Nightforce scope is a FFP scope.  I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#2]
All Nightforce scopes as of right now have the reticle in the second focal plan, and they all range at the highest magnification.

I would go with the MLR raticle over the mil-dot. It is the same thing, only easier to use. If you are familiar with the mil-dot reticle, you will have no problem with the MLR. The NP-R2 is, in my opinion, the best reticle offered for ranging and for hold over shooting.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top