Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 9:13:23 AM EDT
Hi guys.  I currently in the market for an affordable 4x scope (no ACOG ).  No tritium necessary, cross hairs will do fine.  I mainly just want to keep it small.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT:  Are turkey scopes a no no?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#1]
What is it going on, why not an ACOG, what is your idea of affordable, how small, and which turkey scope?

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What is it going on, why not an ACOG, what is your idea of affordable, how small, and which turkey scope?

Thanks for the reply michael.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to have an ACOG but I just cannont drop $700 or more and an optic right now.  The scope I have in mind now is a Simmons 1.5-5x20 scope that is described as being a shotgun/black powder/rifle scope.   Take a look and tell me what you think.  I know Simmons is no Leupold but at $100 for a knock around scope, it's appealing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I would never recommend a $100 scope to anyone who plans on using the rifle for anything dangerous or serious.

I do not have a problem spending a little money now to save for something better. With that in mind go here and look at what the have in you price range.

Like I said spending a little now is okay, just don't expect anything special out of a inexpensive scope, I would not use it as a trunk gun and expect it to maintain zero, nor would I care if it did.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I know you said small, but I think you should take a look at the IOR M2 4x24.  It has 3 reticles you can get (my preference is the CQB), 4x fixed magnification, 7 levels of illumination, a pre-calibrated BDC cam with settings for 100-800m, and AMAZING glass quality.  Also, one of the sturdiest scopes I have ever used.  It is, however, 8" long (but not terribly heavy, and not very big in diameter).  All this for only around $340.  I use it on my designated marksman rifle, along with an IOR 3x25 and an ACOG, in Iraq, and it is my favorite of the three.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I know you said small, but I think you should take a look at the IOR M2 4x24.  It has 3 reticles you can get (my preference is the CQB), 4x fixed magnification, 7 levels of illumination, a pre-calibrated BDC cam with settings for 100-800m, and AMAZING glass quality.  Also, one of the sturdiest scopes I have ever used.  It is, however, 8" long (but not terribly heavy, and not very big in diameter).  All this for only around $340.  I use it on my designated marksman rifle, along with an IOR 3x25 and an ACOG, in Iraq, and it is my favorite of the three.

I checked it out Phoebus.  I think this is exactly what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't even begin to tell you how many POSITIVE reviews have been given of the Simmons Pro-Diamond 1.5-5x20 scope!  Not to mention how frequently and effectively it is used in 3-gun competition!

There are lots of cheap optics out there, but this one in particular is one of the rare "inexpensive" scopes that are worth taking a look at.

CDNN Investments USED to sell these scopes for $50, but I see they're no longer listed on the website...  I wish I'd gotten one while they were available.

FWIW, if you've GOT $300 to spend, the IOR is a very good scope.  (Think "Mike" at CS Custom Gunworks)
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I checked it out Phoebus.  I think this is exactly what I'm looking for.

Glad I could be of service!  Check out CS Gunworks (as above poster said) and Cactus Tactical for the scope.  I got mine from Green Mountain Tactical, but it's a little pricier there (it ended up being cheaper for me with a huge military discount).  As far as a mount for it, I have IOR steel QD high rings that work great and clear my BUIS (MATECH, so you probably will have a different one).

I really like the combination of a rangefinding reticle with a hardware BDC.  I check the range, rotate the turret, and I'm right on every time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#8]
If the guy is looking at a $100 scope, it seems that he probably doesn't have $350 for an IOR. I just got an IOR myself, really nice scope. Clear. The coating gives it this tint...but I expected that...

Anyhow,

For $100. I'd get that Wal-Mart Nikon. It's a 4x fixed. OR...you could go with Russian optics. There are a few VERY nice 4x or 6x scopes that aren't too big or heavy at around $100. And no, I'm not talking about those big bulky ugly one's that clamp onto an AK. Optics on some of these can rival much mroe expensive domestic scopes. But no one dares talk about that because it would mean we all spent too much on scopes...  

Now...I'd push the spending limit up to $165 if I could and I would get the Burris 2-7x Ballistic Plex. Midway has these.

1] Burris is going to be tough as nails. All steel internals. Big bore guys love them for their ability to take massive recoil. If these guys like them and rave about them - they must be tough.

2] Glass is as good as Leupold and Nikon and others. I don't care what anyone says. Optics snobs are idiots, these scopes are great. I won't say better, but ever bit as good (compared to the equivalent model line)

3] Ballistic plex reticle is a poor-man's ACOG bullet drop compensator. It will do bullet-drop for out to 500 yards for .223. IT WORKS, and works well.

4] Is it short, light, and the best bang for the buck - period.

5] Unlike the Russian stuff, this will have a lifetime no-BS warranty.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 20+ year redfield 1.5-4 on a mini ranch rifle.  Bounces around in my truck and has worked great.  I am presently looking at one of the L shotgun or European 1.5-4 variables for my newest AR.

Don't worry about the BDC or other features, for what you want and budget it will work fine.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top