Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/31/2006 7:40:47 PM EDT
My main concern is: Will all of this fit on a 16" carbine forend? None of the gun stores in my area have either the Eotech or M500 in stock, let alone BOTH items in stock, so its hard to see if they'll fit. I looked through the thread with the pics of everyone's lights and lasers and didn't see anyone with that config.

Does anyone who has the M500 wish they didn't dedicate their forend to the light, and purchased something else instead? This is my CQC weapon, so perhaps one day I'd like to add a laser to it as well. I've considered the Streamlight laser/light combo with a tape switch instead of the M500, but it's not nearly as bright as the M500 is.

I'm looking for some feedback on what everyone thinks works best. I don't have the cash available to buy the M500A and the Eotech and decide I want something different. Its a one-shot, one-kill for me, as far the money goes.

Thanks everyone,
H.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:22:26 AM EDT
[#1]
are you talking about mounting the eotech out on the surefire handguards?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:54:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
are you talking about mounting the eotech out on the surefire handguards?

Not on the M500, but using Eotech's M16/AR15/M4 Co-witness Mount: http://www.eotech-inc.com/lawe_mountingoptions.php 9-BC-CAM

Maybe mounting it to the M500 wouldn't be a bad idea... The M500 can take rails on top and bottom right? Just not on the sides? What about its ability to hold zero?

H.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:01:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:13:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Maybe mounting it to the M500 wouldn't be a bad idea... The M500 can take rails on top and bottom right? Just not on the sides? What about its ability to hold zero?

H.

No, I can't imagine your Eotech mounted on a set of regular handguards would hold a zero.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
you need this
perfect for carry handle monting and co-witness

Yeah, but is there enough room for a mount like that with the M500A forend on a 16" carbine? None of the gun shops around my area can answer that question, as they don't have the M500A in stock.

H.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Surefire M500A and an EoTech 552, but mounted to the flat-top receiver. I snapped some pics to maybe give you an idea of how much room you have to work with. Let me get them re-sized and uploaded.

ETA: Hopefully these show you the room you have above the M500 compared to width and length of the EoThingy.

There are larger versions in the album here
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have a Surefire M500A and an EoTech 552, but mounted to the flat-top receiver. I snapped some pics to maybe give you an idea of how much room you have to work with. Let me get them re-sized and uploaded.

ETA: Hopefully these show you the room you have above the M500 compared to width and length of the EoThingy.

ppuser=28399&cat=500]here

Thanks for the pics. I sent off an email to both EOTech and Surefire too, since I wasn't getting a lot of feedback here. Surefire said that using an A2 style carbine with the EOTech co-witnessing wouldn't work unless I mounted the light  at the 4 o'clock posisition, instead of its normal 2 o'clock posisition. That didn't really sound all that appealing to me, so I may be getting a flat top receiver instead. hippie.gif

How do you like your setup? Do you ever use the flip up BUIS behind the EOTech to co-witness, or does it not line up correctly being on a flat top? If you had to do it all over again, would you buy both the M500A and the EOTech, or would you get something different? hanksH.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

How do you like your setup? Do you ever use the flip up BUIS behind the EOTech to co-witness, or does it not line up correctly being on a flat top? If you had to do it all over again, would you buy both the M500A and the EOTech, or would you get something different?

Thanks alot for the help!
H.

I'm not unhappy with the setup, but I think if I were to go back, I'd think about getting a railed fore-end and one of the Surefire Scout series lights. The M500 is pretty heavy and lacks the versatility of railed handguards. I have a GG&G UFIR so I can mount my bipod, but that's all that I can ever do with the dedicated fore-end light assembly. On the other hand, it's cheaper than buying and mounting the rails AND the light AND the different switches for it AND rail covers AND etc, etc.

I use the BUIS all the time and it works great. It's the GG&G MAD.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top