Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/27/2006 7:57:51 PM EDT
Just curious if anyone is using an ACOG with an 18" SPR type barrel. If so... How close do you estimate the BDC to be?

TIA

jim

Edit: And which ACOG reticle would work best with 75/77gr. ammo out of an 18" barrel? Lots of ACOG options out there... I want a 4x and I know I don't think I want the donut reticle... Past that I'm wide open.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used a TA31F along with an 18" MRP upper, and I really didn't like it at all. I used 77gr MK262 ammo, and could range just okay out to about 400 yds. that was as far as I tried.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:52:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have used a TA31F along with an 18" MRP upper, and I really didn't like it at all. I used 77gr MK262 ammo, and could range just okay out to about 400 yds. that was as far as I tried.

i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/michealj88/IMG_0104Medium.jpg

It seems like that combo should be close to ideal as far as BDC and ACOGS are concerned??? The longer barrel making up for the greater drop at range with the 77gr. rounds. Apparently not the case with your setup...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:51:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I was looking into the TA31F (I like the chevron) and the TA01.

Ack, maybe I should have just had a 20" barrel put on. My trouble is compounded by the upper: I only have an A2 carry handle upper (it's at ADCO right now so it's not like I can change it and I don't have the money to do so anyway) so the optic needs to be either carry handle mountable, or something where I can mount it LOW on the handle.

Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:29:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It seems like that combo should be close to ideal as far as BDC and ACOGS are concerned??? The longer barrel making up for the greater drop at range with the 77gr. rounds. Apparently not the case with your setup...

I think the BDC was good with this setup, that's why I used it. I just think that a 4x optic on this rifle was to limiting. I wanted something that would help me see better at 400-600yds, and the ACOG isn't it.

If I had only planned on using the rifle out to 300yds, the ACOG would have stayed on. I think that the TA31F is a great optic for a 16" gun, that's were it is now, were it still goes out to 400yds on occasion, and has been used for steel out to 600yds.

For a SPR type rifle a 3x9-36 or 40 optic is what I prefer for the added range. I use this rifle for 600yd steel and am glad it now has a Leupold 3x9-36 MRT on it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:36:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Look at the TA31 (yes its a donut). Its optimized for carry handle mount, although BDC is setup around a 20" barrel. I also liked the chevron reticle, but its optimized for flat top mounting. I got a TA31 arriving tomorrow from Bravo Co. ($895 delivered), for mounting on my Armalite A2 NM. My new "Gopher Gun".

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:01:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top