Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/25/2006 12:24:24 PM EDT
I have a flat top upper and need to get a sight for it, either a BUIS, a Aimpoint, or eotech sight. Sould I skip the buis for right now and go for the optical sight or should I get the buis and skip the optical sight till I get more cash? Also what kind of BUIS do you guys like?

P.S. - yes I have read the big bad BUIS guide and know all the data, I just want to know some personal reasons why yall chose the BUIS you got.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#1]
EVERYONE is going to tell you to get BUIS first and get proficient with irons before any optics, I know. Personally I am in the same sitch and I opted to go with a clonepoint first
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Need to be able to shoot with irons before you can go to an optical sight. Get the BUIS first. What are ya going to do if the optical sight dies at the most inappropriate time?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Need to be able to shoot with irons before you can go to an optical sight. Get the BUIS first. What are ya going to do if the optical sight dies at the most inappropriate time?

A big ass plus 1 to that. Irons then optic, use that time yer learning the irons to save up for an optic that fits yer needs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#4]

I like the KAC 300m....very low and simple.  If it doesn't fit under whatever optic you later choose, nothing will.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the BUIS first.  It's cheaper, and iron sight skills should be developed first.

I prefer the Troy unit.  It's solid and it locks in the up position.  It's also very low profile when folded.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#6]
BUIS. You gotta know the basics first, IMO.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I have looked at that ARMS 40L and wondered why would anyone not want to opt for the SP model?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Irons First. Get "very" proficient wit the irons an stay proficient with them. Dot sights and optics are a great force multiplier but irons should aways be there.

My .02$

Incirlik
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#9]
BUIS first
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have looked at that ARMS 40L and wondered why would anyone not want to opt for the SP model?

ya me too.>>?  ive been looking at both of these and thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Irons first.

In addition to what others have said about skills, I'll give you another reason to get irons now: if you are making this choice based on $$$, good irons are much cheaper than good optics.  

Irons will cost you under $150, probably a lot less.  Optics will be a lot more.

Wait until you have adequate $$ for your optics and buy good glass later.  If you can't afford them now you'll buy something that isn't really what you want but is cheaper... and end up buying optics again later.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:46:08 AM EDT
[#12]
IMHO, any combat oriented gun without some type of iron sights is not complete...

Add another vote for iron sights first.

If you really want to prioritize I would also recommend getting a weapon light before the optics.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Depends entirely on what you want to do.

If you want to learn how to fight your AR under adverse conditions that do not tolerate equipment failure, if you're going to spend hours attending classes and honing your skills, then spend more hours practicing those skills -- then yes, get irons and learn how to use them first. My choice would be the GG&G MAD because it is very low profile, locks in place, and keeps both sizes of apertures on the same plane.

HOWEVER...

If you want to plink with your AR, drill metal plates at 100 yards, blow up water jugs and melons, and just generally have a blast with your rifle in a safe range environment -- get optics first. You will not believe how much easier and more fun your rifle is to shoot with optics vs ANY BUIS. Target acquisition is very natural, you can practice your holdovers at longer ranges, and hey, if your optic fails (which is pretty darned rare with today's quality Eotechs and Aimpoints), you just pack up and go home, then send your sight off to have it fixed for free under warranty. If you want, you can buy a BUIS later and learn how to shoot irons (although you should still practice good cheek weld, consistent follow through, etc, even with optics).

Yeah, I know, opinions are like elbows...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top