Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/22/2006 5:37:33 PM EDT
Have a RRA with Dominator and EOTech w/GGG QD.

Would like to have capability to switch to a 6X scope and back.

I would appreciate any suggestions for $300 to $400.

Mueller scopes OK?

Thanks

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Have a RRA with Dominator and EOTech w/GGG QD.

Would like to have capability to switch to a 6X scope and back.

I would appreciate any suggestions for $300 to $400.

Mueller scopes OK?

Thanks

This is a really popular question lately...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=265622
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=264464

The SEARCH feature can get you answers without having to wait...

Short answer -  You can't do it.  Sell or trade your Dominator for a folding rear BUIS.  Since you already have the GG&G QD, I won't suggest the LaRue mount (although I would otherwise).  Then purchase a QD scope mount that fits the scope you choose.

The Dominator is a fixed BUIS and designed specifically for the EOThingy.  In my opinion, it is a GREAT rig for the EOTech, but it is NOT modular or flexible.  If you want a scope, you can't use the Dominator.

If you prefer a fixed rear sight, then I suggest the LaRue QD rear sight that you can pop off when using the scope.

In my limited experience, Mueller scopes are one of the better scope options in that price range.  They are definitely a good value for the money, but anybody that tells you they compare favorably to a $900 scope is fibbing.    A much better choice than Tasco, BSA, BEC, NcStar, etc.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:42:57 AM EDT
[#2]
The search feature for "scope dominator" yielded no results.

There is no single slot mechanism for attaching a scope?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:16:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The search feature for "scope dominator" yielded no results.

There is no single slot mechanism for attaching a scope?

Oh, yeah...  Your search is for the EXACT combination of words you type.  So I always start off broad and narrow from there if needed.  To get you those results, I just searched on "Dominator".  BTW, I wasn't complaining, just letting you know the answers were already out there.

I've wondered many times why you couldn't just use one ring on a scope, like the IOR M2 for instance with short eye relief and a 30mm tube...  Something like an Aimpoint ring on the front to get it closer to the eye.

I suppose anything is possible, but you'd need a very tall ring to get the scope over the rear sight, which is going to give you "carry handle mounted" height, and the lack of cheek weld discomfort that goes along with it.  

I guess "can't" was a strong word, but that set-up will be very much less than ideal.  I very strongly stand by my first suggestion, but if you still want to try it, you'll need a very tall ring (flat-top height), and you still may not clear your A2 rear sight.  A folding rear sight is a much better option for a magnified optic.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:16:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Since the dominator mounts to the flattop and the EOTech mounts to the dominator, why not just remove the entire dominator when you want to switch over to a scope?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Since the dominator mounts to the flattop and the EOTech mounts to the dominator, why not just remove the entire dominator when you want to switch over to a scope?

Because if installed correctly, the Dominator should be blue loc-tite'd in place.  When I installed mine, I put loc-tite in the rail slot where the Dominator's forward locking tab goes as well.  Every time you wanted to use a scope, you'd have to pull out the allen wrench, unscrew the two screws, and mount the scope.  Then when you replaced it, you'd have to grab that allen wrench again along with some more loc-tite.  That by itself would be a HUGE pain, and way more than I'd want to put up with.  Plus, unless you torque both screws with the same amount of pressure each and every time, you may need to rezero your Dominator and EOTech.  Even if you do torque the same, there's no guarantee it will retain it's original zero once you put it back on.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top