Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/21/2006 11:30:15 PM EDT
Bought a new Leupold Torque wrench for tightening bolts in the rings to the proper tightness.

The leupold and Zeiss rings are supposed to be tightened to 65 inch pounds of torque.

WELL, I sheared off two of the bolts.

Too nice.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:48:09 PM EDT
[#1]
the cross bolts correct?

maybe the torque wrench needs calibrating, i use the simple beam type ones from craftsman or my snap-on ones

link
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:07:59 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're referring to the ring screws then they only should be torqued to 15 in. lbs not 65 in. lbs., if you use the supplied torx or allen screw you can tighten to the proper torque by holding the little end and tightening until it stops.  65 in. lbs. of torque only applies to the cross bolts of the rings that hold it  the rail, if those sheared off at 65 in lbs of torque then those are some shitty rings.  Anyway, it's only 15 in lbs. for the little screws.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:50:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I used the Leupold Torque wrench.

I broke one of the top screws and one of the bottom screws.

I am going to just drop the money on an adjustable torque wrench.

OK- so its 15" lbs on top and 65" lbs on the bottom?

These are the Zeiss Victory steel rings made by Warne.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Ring cap screws are 15 in/lbs and crossbolt screws are 65 in/lbs.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard people from Texas are extra strong!!!

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I heard people from Texas are extra strong!!!

Yup, you can smell 'em for miles.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top