Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/19/2006 3:57:29 PM EDT
How do I clean my newly ACOG equipped M4gery?  Should I take it off each time and re-zero, or is it ok to leave on there?  I know that it's supposed to be Marine proof, butI still don't want to to fuck it up.

Also, what would you reccomend doing to clean the exterior of the scope?  A quick wipedown with CLP, or something else?  Obviously I wont be putting anything on the lenses.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Just leave it on, wipe it down and use Windex type cleaner on the lenses.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I like those cam realease hooyas from GG&G.  Little pricey, thats why I dont have one, but they look like it would do the trick.

-BJohnson
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have mine with an ARMS throw lever mount, which has always returned to zero for me. But I leave it on anyway, and clean the lenses with the included lens pen and just make sure I don't spill solvent on it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have mine with an ARMS throw lever mount, which has always returned to zero for me. But I leave it on anyway, and clean the lenses with the included lens pen and just make sure I don't spill solvent on it.

I tell my Marines the lens pens is Trijicon's way of making sure we will have to buy new sights in a couple of years.  It is an alright piece of gear when new but quickly picks up dust/sand/dirt and will scratch the lens.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a return to zero mount like the Laure or Arms, so I have always removed it when cleaning. Although I believe the TA51 is pretty close on return to zero. At the worst, it isn't a difference you would notice at <100yds.

For cleaning, I dust the big particles off the glass with the lens pen brush and then use the vinegar-water mixture and sunglass cleaning cloth that Sunglass Hut sells. I have had my ACOG since 2002 and it is still pristine (glass-wise anyway).
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I tell my Marines the lens pens is Trijicon's way of making sure we will have to buy new sights in a couple of years.  It is an alright piece of gear when new but quickly picks up dust/sand/dirt and will scratch the lens.

Didn't think of that. Does windex affect any coatings on the lens at all or is it totally safe?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:07:57 AM EDT
[#7]
think trijicon along with other optic comps. rec cleaning with just water.

i have mine mounted with the larue mount which returns zero or close enough
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:13:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Windex seems to be fine, it also removes the oil from peoples fingers that seem to make their way onto the lens.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:00:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good info,I actually never thought of the pen picking up particles.What do you recommend for a quick "at the range" type of cleaning ?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top