Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2006 11:33:07 AM EDT
With the EOTech mounted on a 1/4" riser (like the yankee hill or RRA dominator), does it have enough elevation adjustment to zero the dot at 500+ yards?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know the answer, but I do have a question.....Why?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Just to be clear, are you attempting to zero the EO Tech at 500 yds.?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#3]
500 yards with a EoTech?
Dot .
target .
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope that's a typo and you meant 50.  If you meant 500 you are seriously delusional.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Not necessarily delusional, but I'd agree not practical.  A 1moa dot wouldn't obliterate a center of mass on a person at 500.  It'd cover around 5 1/4 inches.

If battle sight zeroed at 25m/300yds, it would only be 7.5moa or so of "up" to be on at 500 (that's using my 75gr 2740fps match load dope), so its doable probably.

However, I prefer my irons at 500 than any red dot, and if I were to consider engaging a real BG type target at 500 I'd be on my 308 with a 4-16 mildot on his ass............

Just my opinion, I could be wrong............
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I hope that's a typo and you meant 50.  If you meant 500 you are seriously delusional.

He could have it mounted on a Barrett .50 cal...  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#7]
To answer the "why", here's my train of thought:  it seems to be the general consensus here that the EOTech is capable of delivering better accuracy than irons.  As I can get decent groups at 500 yards with irons, doesn't it stand to reason that my groups at 500 yards (or any other range, for that matter) would be tighter using the EOTech?  Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.  There could be other factors involved with red dot sights that I'm not aware of (in case it isn't completely obvious, my experience with red dots is limited).

I agree, it's not practical.  For the best accuracy at this distance a scope would definitely be preferred.  And if used at this distance for defensive purposes, a higher caliber would be a must.  But I'm just having fun punching holes in a paper that's really far away, without the use of a scope. No more no less.  And I figured I give the EOTech a whirl.  For those who can't understand this, please just ignore this thread.

Thanks for the info sobrbiker883, and again, thanks in advance to those with something more to add (though I'm not sure that many people have tried this).
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:46:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Well speaking from experience, nothing scientific about it. I can hit (not every time) but i can hit about 70 percent in from the foxhole and about 50% from the prone 300 meter target with an aimpoint 2 moa, but anything past 300meters I wont be able to hit shit. With irons i can eat 300 meter targets and 500 meter targets, and thing past 150-200meters where i have a second to shoot i perfer irons, for me eotechs should be used for close quarter marksmanship, but i actually perfer my irons over a lot of stuff.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:54:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Phil,
According to EoTechs web site their optic can adjust 40MOA in each direction from mechanical zero, giving a total range of 80MOA.  If the mechanical zero is intended to be for 50 yards direcly on top of the flattop then you'd only need about 10 of the available 40 MOA to adjust to 500yrds. I'm not sure how the riser would effect that but I doubt it would change it more than 30MOA.

So I'd guess it should be possible. But I have not tried it so I'm not positive.  Currently my EO is on my 10mm AR so I'm sure I can't adjust it out to 500yrds T
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:12:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's where I think it would be hard.  In normal use with an EoTech, you are supposed to look beyond the reticle and focus on the target.  When doing so the reticle doesn't seem as pixilated and the dot appears reasonably clear.  But when you shift your focus to the dot, then you notice how pixilated it can be.

When using irons at long range, you should be focusing on the front sight, not the target.  That's completely opposite of how you use the EoTech.  Consequently, I'd be surprised if you could achieve similar results using the EoTech -- if you focus on the dot and let the target go blurry, you are delalng with a pixilated dot, starbusrt effect, whatever you want to call it.  If you focus on the target, I'm not sure the dot would have enough resolution.  I don't know, I've never tried it, but just using it out to 100 yards, I couldn't imagine using it at long range.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top