Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/17/2006 12:06:04 PM EDT
What features and such should a red dot optic ment for range/fun stuff only have? What should it be able to take? Just want to get some ideas of what people think a range optic should be/do and what's important for it to have.

Please list features not just an optic name, I don't care about the names I want features people think are nessesary.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#1]
1) Battery life of 50-100 hours MINIMUM.
2) Dot visible in daylight when looking toward the west with the sun low in the sky. (can you tell my club's range faces west).
3) No noticeable shift in zero for at least 200 rounds (preferably none).
4) Able to take a 2' drop onto a wooden table w/o breaking or loss of zero (preference is for a 4' drop onto concreate)
5) Battery should be replaceable w/o removing the optic from the weapon.
6) Should be able to operate in light/moderate rain w/o fogging or getting water inside.
7) Battery should be easily available at the local pharamacy/Walmart.  Cost less than $5, and preferably have a lithium variant.

That is what I'd want as a minium for a 'range only' optic.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have noticed the cheap red dots have a problem with the switching sometimes.  You switch to a different intensity level and the whole thing turns off... tap the adjustment knob and it comes back on. I would want to make sure that it stayed on when switching intesities.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Forest.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#4]
From this thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=36&t=220545

Quoted:

Quoted:
My lessons learned from yesterday's shoot:

Iron sights suck! Shooting iron sights from my weak side (stage 3) sucks harder! I don't think I hit any targets shooting from my weak side on stage 3. For the night shoot, I shot left handed with my PK AS and had no trouble hitting the targets.

Falling down sucks! But if you do, get the butt in the mud, not the muzzle.

It was great to see so many people, especially the new ones. I think  the turn out would have been better id the weather guessers hadn't been predicting rain for Sat. BSW

OH that'S NOTHING MY FRIEND!.. IRON SIGHTS SUCK! when They are not sighted in!.. Also if your RED DOT goes out and you have to fall back on the IRONS.. IT happened to me!.. RED DOT OUT!@.. IRONS ARE OFF.. OMG!.. GUESS EVERY SHOT Equals finishing 60th out of 60.. OUCH!.. OH and i didn't even get a DNF Finding a new optic soon and also gonna make time to sight the irons. LOL i'm laughing because the worst case scenario that i didn't think would happen on a match Happened..

I think range only red dot should be able to survive a match, also. BSW
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:15:47 AM EDT
[#5]
bump
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Anybody else?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:01:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Anybody else?

I can think of one other thing.

Either be of the 'standard' size (i.e. 30mm or 1") or if they have to have a built in mount, it must position the display for a proper 2.6" height over bore.

None of these 30mm red-dots with built in mounts that position the sight 3/4" too low, and prevent me from using a 30mm Aimpoint mount.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:55:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks again forest.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top