Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2006 1:34:03 PM EDT
I know these 2 have been beaten down in the forums but i need another opinon on which one you guys think is tougher for combat situations.....I dont care which one is faster.....

I have 3 marine buddies who say the Aimpoint is more appropriate for combat since it is a tough device not necessarily faster... Besides the water proofing and ergonomics....I thought the EOtech is tougher..... any opinons?

by the way....is have never used an AImpoint in the rain....what happens to the red dot? gets blurry, glare,,etc.....thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#1]
EOTech all the way.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never seen an EO tech broken or with scratched lenses.  

I've seen several FUBAR Aimpoints problems from corroded contacts and not turning on with new batteries, to scratched lenses beyond any visibility.  

I would reccomend the EO tech.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#3]
i have seen plenty of problems with eotechs as the same with aimpoint.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
just did a class this weekend in the rain, my eothingy ran great. no distortion due to water on the lens or mud. i have used both aimpoint and eothingy. i hate to say it but i'm an eothingy convert.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Both have had reported battery contact problems. Both are susceptible to lens scratches. If the Aimpoint lense cracks you might have a harder time using the optic verses the EOTechs larger “TV” style lense. I’d say it’s a 50/50 toss up. I’m a converted EOTech to Aimpoint user. I like the clearer view the Aimpoint offers verses the EOTechs 65MOA/1MOA reticule. If I had originally purchased the single 1MOA dot version of the EOTech I’d probably still own it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Battery life is probably better on the dot only eotech too. I almost bought one.
It would be nice if they would make a setting to turn the ring off.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:13:03 PM EDT
[#7]
besides the ARMS levers and magnifier compatability.....does anyone know the differences between the new 553 and the 552? will there be a nonNV version out?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I suspect that since the 553 is a mil specific item that there will not be a non NV version available. With that sight you'll be buying what they produced to meet specific requirements.

But it would probably be nice if it was non NV too for people not needing it and wanting to pay a corresponding price.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:52:35 PM EDT
[#9]
You have to remember a lot of problems with EO techs are because someone doesn't know how not to look at the reticle, or imagines the reticle is flickering.  

Where is a real problem- the scope is rock solid-- show us an inadvertently scratched lense or something more outlandish than a broken mounting screw.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:48:03 AM EDT
[#10]
you guys think I should wait and see later in the year if Eotech comes out with a nonmil. model with the newest revisions or just buy a 512 now?  I guess then I wouldnt be able to buy a eotech magnifier in the future if i wanted one...
anyone know about the battery power in the newer model?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I think if you want the one with the magnifier you will have to wait 6 -12 months.

Otherwise the decision just depends on wether you want the sight to co-whitness irons which apparently the 553 might not, and wether you want to use AA's or 3v lithium batteries.  

I think the 552 Rev 5 sounds like a good idea given it cowhitnesses and takes common AA batteries yielding a life of approx 800+ hours.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#12]
you mean rev.F....?Its just my understanding that the new 553 will take the magnifier...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top