Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2006 1:21:17 PM EDT
How close is "return to zero" when putting on and off the scope mount>? Are you guys with the SPR\M4  mounts coming back to zero exactly or off by a MOA everytime?

I took mine off and on about 5 times to show someone and I shot about 4MOA off to the left at 100....

how tight is tight first of all. ?the instructions dont really specify and I have it pretty darn tight.

the other issue is that when I got the mount for the first time the front was really tight and the rear was loose so I adjusted the rear and after several on and offs the front came loose and i had to adjust..any idea why? It hasnt come loose since, though.

otherwise its a great mount...it appears to have a matte finish as well (similar to the gub)...different to my shiny annodized handguard which many have claimed it looks purple in the photos...maybe a new finish he is doing?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How close is "return to zero" when putting on and off the scope mount>? Are you guys with the SPR\M4  mounts coming back to zero exactly or off by a MOA everytime?

I took mine off and on about 5 times to show someone and I shot about 4MOA off to the left at 100....

how tight is tight first of all. ?the instructions dont really specify and I have it pretty darn tight.

the other issue is that when I got the mount for the first time the front was really tight and the rear was loose so I adjusted the rear and after several on and offs the front came loose and i had to adjust..any idea why? It hasnt come loose since, though.

otherwise its a great mount...it appears to have a matte finish as well (similar to the gub)...different to my shiny annodized handguard which many have claimed it looks purple in the photos...maybe a new finish he is doing?

IIRC it's supposed to return to within 1/4" of MOA.  Your's might be too loose.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#2]
"the other issue is that when I got the mount for the first time the front was really tight and the rear was loose so I adjusted the rear and after several on and offs the front came loose and i had to adjust..any idea why? It hasnt come loose since, though.

otherwise its a great mount...it appears to have a matte finish as well (similar to the gub)...different to my shiny annodized handguard which many have claimed it looks purple in the photos...maybe a new finish he is doing?"

If that is true it's not a great mount at all.  If one side is always going to end up loose it's worthless.
If it doesn't return to zero within one MOA it's not returning to zero at all.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:48:49 AM EDT
[#3]
how tight does it need to be?  Is there is such a thing as tightening it too tight?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:11:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I tighten my levers so thats it's a little difficult to lock them down but not impossible.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:08:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
how tight does it need to be?  Is there is such a thing as tightening it too tight?

I would think that if you tightened it too much you might dent the rails in, so I would be careful. I don't have mine super tight, but just enough that I can un-do the levers with my fingers and not have to use any tool.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the mount is designed to have some tolerance between the cross bars on the bottom of the mount and the slots in the top of your rail. This means that there is a little play. If you set the mount on top of your rail you can push it forward and backwards and feel just a slight movement. This is to compensate for the tolerances allowed between rails.

So, what I do is always push the mount forward as I lock the levers down. Anytime you remove the mount and then put it back on make sure that you do it the exact same way. Otherwise I'd imagine that your zero might be off more than 1/4" MOA.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top