Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/15/2006 9:15:34 PM EDT
I'm wondering how well zero is retained with a 14 in front of a day optic.  

Has anyone shot it at night?  With a 3x magnifier on the PVS14?

I have been wondering how much light my USO SN4 will transmit [it's on order] and just thought about the possibility of forward mounting the night sight and 3x magnifier and leaving the USO at 1 power magnification as a possible solution of course the problem I can see running into is the reticle's ranging wires not being visible as I expect the USO to have a constant scale reticle and thus be tiny at 1 power.  

I really like the way the 14/3x magnifier transmits light and resolution but I'm having a hard time finding a way to integrate it into a long range sighting system.

I was thinking about the possibility of getting a PVS22 but haven't seen a transmitted image to know what performance is like and expect the price to be rediculous.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:47:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I put my MUM2 infront of my ACOG and the zero shift was so bad I was not even on paper at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:31:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I was hoping for something that could detect, range, and hit a man sized target at 300-600meters.  

Of course that might not be possible.  My PVS14 is a very good example with a pinnacle tube.  

I think I could put my 3 power magnifier on my USO SN4 [which won't be here for 2-3months] but the problem there is that magnifying reticle- at 4 power it will be visible but throw a 3x on that and you have 12power which means it won't range right.   I haven't used the SN4's with night vision and no-one at USO had either so I don't know what to expect. the obj lense I had heard was 35MM so I don't know what that will mean.

For that I guess the larger lense isn't an option.  

I think it would work on a Leupold CQT with the mag set at one power as the reticle size is constant and designed for 3X.  Of course I will need a bushing or something to bring the OBJ from 1.219 to whatever the diameter of a PVS 14 OBJ is for compatibility with the magnifier.  Maybe that is the best option right now.

Of course if I'm not going to get better than 300meter range anyway there's no point in getting anything but an EO tech.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I talked to USO about all this and their remarks seemed to be the industry std.  "We'ld love to help but we're too busy turning out the same old crap to bother with it."

With custom optics I had assumed they could throw a 44-60mm lense on a SN4 and my problem would have been solved.

Unfortunately I just don't expect enough light to come through the SN4 at 3 or 4 power to remain a passive system in most light conditions.  Who knows maybe I'll be surprised?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top