Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/14/2006 5:36:54 AM EDT
I understand that right now Trijicon can charge what they want for anything with the ACOG label on it, and if one person doesn't want to pay it, ten others will.

Do you think that once the demand levels off (either the war dies down, or the market just gets saturated) that there will be a significant price drop?

I ask this becausse I am thinking about shelling out serious cash for an ACOG and dont want the floor to drop out from under my investment before I'm done with it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:48:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#2]
That is a very interesting idea.  But if I happens I will not be for a long time.  ACOGs and one of a kind and untill that is no longer the case things will remain as they are, more or less.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:12:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Never. ACOG's are also going to become harder to find as the ARMY just awarded them some big contract.
C4

So you're saying I should put that TA31F I've been considering on the credit card...

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:09:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I cant believe no one else has developed a competetive product.  Given what is actually in an ACOG, the profit margin must be huge.  Lots of room for a competetor to develop an equivalent product, undercut Trijicon's price, and still make money.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I cant believe no one else has developed a competetive product.  Given what is actually in an ACOG, the profit margin must be huge.  Lots of room for a competetor to develop an equivalent product, undercut Trijicon's price, and still make money.  

Personally, I think it's easier said than done. If someone could have made tons of money off of it, they would be already.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#6]
There will come a point when the Army is not purchasing ACOG's anymore and then the trijicon people will probably scramble to makes something better that the Army might buy.  

If that doesn't pan out they will.  I can't see an optic running more than 20 years esspecially today.  They lack one terribly obvious feature-- variable magnification with a low 1 power setting.  

Think of it-- the Unertle 8power target scopes with external ajustments were used for like 25years, the redfields 10-15, the Army used Leatherwoods for maybe 25years, the Army used Colt/Realist 4power BDC scopes for maybe 10 years.  

The point is that there is no Browning 1911 of optics at this point  The Acog has run ten years and will probably run ten more though I would expect contracts to drop off soon.  Already if US Optics could move production to a larger facility and lower the price slightly of a SN4 1-4 power with the JP1 reticle they would have strong ACOG competition.  Fiber optic ACOGs aren't night vision compatible, the SN4 is.  The std Acog can't do reflex work-- the SN4 can

lower price-- I don't know if you want to wait 15 years for your ACOG.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#7]
i thought acogs do work with nv?
i dont have a problem with cqb work with my acog.
i actually prefer the fixed mag which is the reason i bought mine instead of a nf or uso

tritium and fiber optic, no batteries
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, just shelled out $675 that i really didnt have to buy one.  I hope it's as good as EVERY FREAKING PERSON ON EARTH says.  I've fumbled with them at the gun show, but never shot with one.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I am trying to decide on which to purchase.  The TA-11F or a leupold Mark 4 3-9X36 for my bushy carbine.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#10]
It isn't an investment, it's a tool. If the tool fights your requirements, it is worth the cost. Period. What bearing does future selling/resale have on it's value to you as a high quality optic today? Just concern yourself with the things within your control, and let the lead fly.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am trying to decide on which to purchase.  The TA-11F or a leupold Mark 4 3-9X36 for my bushy carbine.  Any thoughts?

two different optics for different roles.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I believe only TA01NSN is NV compatible.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#13]
"Well, just shelled out $675 that i really didnt have to buy one. I hope it's as good as EVERY FREAKING PERSON ON EARTH says. I've fumbled with them at the gun show, but never shot with one."

Yeah they're worth the money.  Good optic.  

I would differ on the Leupold M3MRT comments though.  

I think at 3power the Leupold is faster and has a more generous eye relief at close range.  The Acog probably wins the multiple targets at between 100and 400meters competition, but the USO is a 1-4 with the generous eye relief of the Leupold M3 MRT and the JP1 reticle [similar to] ACOG so it has to be a better optic than the Acog and under 600 probably better than the MRT.  

I would really like to see USO throw a 50mm obj on it and a fixed eye relief through all magnification settings as those really help for night vision use.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Buying an optic isnt an investment finacial wise.  ACOG is an an investment in quality, they are worth what you have to pay to get one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:23:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I believe only TA01NSN is NV compatible.

mount your PVS-14 in front of your acog... it works....

-Roth
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Yep I know a non-NV compatible scope can be used, such as any day scope without illumiation, Aimpoint ML2 or visible laser, but they're still not NV compatible in that they were not designed from scratch to work with it.  In this fashion these optics are usable, but nevertheless incompatible.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:16:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
i thought acogs do work with nv?

ACOGs with fiber optics change the brightness of the reticle to match ambient light. So the reticle can become too bright to use with night vision. However, you can mask off the fiber optic tube with tape (or an section of inner tuber) so that only the tritium is being used to illuminate the reticle. Since the tritium is still bright enough to be seen with the naked eye, you may get a little burn in on the NV tube after prolonged use though...

The other solution is to mount the NV in front of the ACOG, which works better than you might think. There are pictures of it here in the archives if you want to search for it. The red illumination contrasts nicely with the green.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:21:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Not sure where I saw it, but I read where the next new generation of small arms optics is an all-in-one number that has variable magnification, IR Imaging, range-finder etc.

I will see if I can find it somewhere  [off to look for it]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Not sure where I saw it, but I read where the next new generation of small arms optics is an all-in-one number that has variable magnification, IR Imaging, range-finder etc.

According to the 2005 NDIA Small Arms Power Point from last May, the SOPMOD program is looking at an ACOG with a Dr. Optic/J-Point style sight mounted above it and a new Elcan sight for a mid-range optic and looking at EOtech for the ECOS-C (the Aimpoint will continue as the ECOS-N to satisfy the Navy).

Those sights are expected to last until Block III of the program hits in 2012 (of course I think the Reflex was originally supposed to be in service until 2008 according to the 2001 presentation and we know how that turned out).
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top