Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/10/2006 3:33:28 PM EDT
Is this necessary?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:55:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#2]
It may not be nessessary, but it sure is convenient.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:39:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I am assuming you mean the thumb screw?  If so I do not feel it is necessary.

I may be wrong but I still have not figured out the need for the quick removal trend these days.  I can see it for an ACOG where you have the scope sitting on top of the rear BUIS and the front sight/post cannot be seen under magnification, but when using an EOTECH or Aimpoint, once it is mounted and the BUIS can be used, leave it alone.

77Bronc
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:26:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is this necessary?

Necessary? No. Liability (IMHO) Yes.

The screw that comes installed on the sight works fine.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:44:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Liability (IMHO) Yes.

Dang, I think I see your point!   Thanks.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I may be wrong but I still have not figured out the need for the quick removal trend these days.  ...When using an EOTECH or Aimpoint, once it is mounted and the BUIS can be used, leave it alone.

77Bronc

If it's -20 degrees outside and you go into a warm building you'll have a majorly fogged up EOTECH.  Having the ability to disconnect and then stow or throw the EOTECH is a necessity.  

I seriously considered the YHM screw, and I'm impressed with my YHM riser and BUIS, but for this job I chose a GG&G Accucam.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#7]
The YHM screw is easier to tighten down also, less chance it is going to work loose.  Those of us with big fingers can have trouble with the narrow thickness of the original screw.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I may be wrong but I still have not figured out the need for the quick removal trend these days.  ...When using an EOTECH or Aimpoint, once it is mounted and the BUIS can be used, leave it alone.

77Bronc

If it's -20 degrees outside and you go into a warm building you'll have a majorly fogged up EOTECH.  Having the ability to disconnect and then stow or throw the EOTECH is a necessity.  

I seriously considered the YHM screw, and I'm impressed with my YHM riser and BUIS, but for this job I chose a GG&G Accucam.

You should invest in the LaRue mount. Not  cheap but it will retun to zero when re-mounted. The GG&G mount will not return to the exact same zero. I have both and prefer the LaRue. Just my .02.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Mike, how much in height does the Larue mount raise the optics?  Do you find the additional height a plus or minus or neutral?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Mike, how much in height does the Larue mount raise the optics?  Do you find the additional height a plus or minus or neutral?  Thanks.

The LaRue mount adds about .25 inch. It places the BUIS in the lower 1/3 of the EoTech view. I like it very much. My second rifle has the EoTech w/ GG&G mount on the YHM .25 inch riser. The quality of the LaRus is top notch.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is this necessary?

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=26667

Mike

What did you do to that poor little screw?     Look at tthe threads on the broken section.  Is that thread deformation from over-torquing or is it from removal?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should invest in the LaRue mount. Not  cheap but it will retun to zero when re-mounted. The GG&G mount will not return to the exact same zero. I have both and prefer the LaRue. Just my .02.

Mike

Well an $80 Accucam and $30 riser gets us within $10 of the Larue mount.  I considered the Larue mount, but I didn't care for the rail section at the very rear and I wondered if it would fit on the flat-top along with a back-up iron sight.  It appears that it probably would though.  I also don't care for their name being so conspicuous on the mount, but that's a very minor deal some spray paint would take care of.  

The GG&G accucam is advertised as being accurate to within 1/2 m.o.a. after detaching, reattacting.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is this necessary?

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=26667

Mike

What did you do to that poor little screw?     Look at tthe threads on the broken section.  Is that thread deformation from over-torquing or is it from removal?

I had to use needle nose pliers to remove the screw from the EoTech

Mike
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top