Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 4:48:12 PM EDT
I'm looking for an image of the view through a reddot sight. Not the ones showing a circle with a reddot in the center. What it looks like superimposed when both eyes are open.

I'm working a on a project for battlefield 2 and explaining to the animators how a reddot is supposed to look without images is difficult.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Something like this?

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]
exactly what i don't want.

I'm looking for a picture of what it looks like in actual use. With the dot superimposed because both eyes are being used.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a HUGE thread in the Optics FAQ regarding views through ALL of the popular optics used around here.  I can't seem to get to it though.  We need a mod or site staff to figure this problem out...

Unfortunately it's impossible to take a picture with it superimposed.  It's like when the guys making a movie want you to see the view through binoculars- it's something you can't recreate very easily without it looking totally wrong and crappy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#4]
your right, the camera only has one "eye"

I guess i could photoshop something together. Anyone jhave a pic of what a rifle would look like up against your shoulder?

Loaned the camera out to a friend or I would.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#5]
yeah, it would look like what mm34b gave you already!

34b?  that's kinda small...  

Take his picture and put it into another picture.  

Put the receiver cover of the AK on a layer and blur the living shit out of it.

Then put the rear and front sight on a second layer and blur a little shit out of them.

Blur some crap out of the Aimpoint and leave the dot on your focused background.  

I could do it for you if you give me a background...

I have an Aimpoint so I could try and get it as close as possible.

do you need an AR15 sight setup with the Aimpoint?

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
exactly what i don't want.

I'm looking for a picture of what it looks like in actual use. With the dot superimposed because both eyes are being used.

Gracious, ain't ya'?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#7]
As a game developer and Aimpoint owner, I can tell you there is no way to really render in-game what it's like to actually look through an Aimpoint. BF2 did a perfectly good job of recreating the Aimpoint view within the context of the medium. Don't worry about re-inventing the wheel on this. Spend the time on developing a feature that really adds something to gameplay.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
As a game developer and Aimpoint owner, I can tell you there is no way to really render in-game what it's like to actually look through an Aimpoint. BF2 did a perfectly good job of recreating the Aimpoint view within the context of the medium. Don't worry about re-inventing the wheel on this. Spend the time on developing a feature that really adds something to gameplay.

Really?

Cool

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#9]
i don't see why its so difficult to do in bf2.  All you need to do is set the zoomed crosshair to be the reddot, edit the animation to look right and your good to go. Need to learn how to animate. ;)

Matt, you know us coders. we aren't happy if its perfect and we'll fuck with it until the boss makes us wrap it up.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Matt_B, you have the job that most wish we could have. What's your back ground to get to do that for a living? Computer Science? Just asking.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Look at this thread for a real life picture through a real EOTech.  Very informative thread, too.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#12]
That nice Eotech shot in the other thread is with the camera lens right up inside the rear of the Eoteech.  Otherwise, there'd be some of the shroud showing...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
That nice Eotech shot in the other thread is with the camera lens right up inside the rear of the Eoteech.  Otherwise, there'd be some of the shroud showing...

Much like this pic I took a couple months ago. It took me 5 or 10 minutes to get the shot just right. This is the exact view out of your right eye with a proper cheekweld over a folded down ARMS #40 and a standard front site base.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Much like this pic I took a couple months ago. It took me 5 or 10 minutes to get the shot just right. This is the exact view out of your right eye with a proper cheekweld over a folded down ARMS #40 and a standard front site base.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/WIZZO_ARAKM14/DCP_1037a.jpg

WIZZO

While that is a nice picture, it would not work well at all in-game.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/WIZZO_ARAKM14/DCP_1037a.jpg

WIZZO

And I completely understand that, too. Lack of periferal vision, limited view, etc.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Originally Posted By WIZZO_ARAKM14

And I completely understand that, too. Lack of periferal vision, limited view, etc.

WIZZO

Exactly Wizzo! What works in the real world isn't always fun in a game.

That being said, I love being the Special Forces guy in BF2 and using the Aimpoint equipped AR. It feels like....home.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#17]
besides that, where's the view from the left eye?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top