Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2006 3:04:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How can this be?? We have several members on here say they were awesome and just like an ACOG!!!
C4

So right on the mark....
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#3]
YIKES!
Now THAT is crooked
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]
For the life of me I can't remember anyone saying they were "just like an ACOG".  But I'm getting older and my memory is probably failing.  Obviously the quality control on the T168 is pretty bad, some guys got bad ones, sent them back and got them replaced with better ones.  I was one of the lucky ones that got a good one right off the bat.  Crosshairs are well centered and not rotated in the body, the glass is clear.  The only downside is the illumination switch is a POS.  But since I don't use that feature I don't care.  I've probably fired 500 to 600 rounds through my A2 with it attached to the carry handle.  It's a decent range/plinking/small game scope that's so cheap that when it finally does break you probably won't care.

That being said, the Simmons Pro Diamond 1.5-5x20 is a higher quality scope, it's about the same price (but comes with no mounting hardware) and for those that care it's NOT made in China.  I picked up one just for the heck of it, mounted it to my M4gery and spent the day at the range with it.  The person who recommended it to me used it for hunting Javelina and really liked it.  I came away with the same impression, it's clear, keeps the same point of aim at all magnifications, and has positive adjustments.  The only downside is the 1/2 MOA clicks.  But considering that it's a 200 yard and under optic that's not really a problem.  It's not a clone, just a good scope for the price.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#5]
There you go.
Some real life information by a couple of people who are 1st hand evaluators.
Better than the BS going on in a couple other threads that got so far off track.
THANKS this is the kind of stuff I look at and decide if I want to spend.
Ya pays your money ya takes your chance and that goes for everything.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Well that one is junk for sure.

The two I've T&Ed were fine as far as the crosshairs go. The glass was actually pretty damn nice too, a bit of distortion on the edges of the glass that was my biggest gripe with it. But the glass was impressivly clear on the two I got to spend some time with.

An ACOG it is not. Not even close.

But a good alternative for if you can't afford an ACOG for a range only gun or if you want the look but not have to pay the cost of one for a range only gun.

I still need to get my hands on one to beat the shit out of though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I have 3 T168's.  Total cost of $120.  They work good.  I had heard of people getting ones with skewed crosshairs, but they got replacements that were fine.  Optics were good for the price,  Don't have any need for a ACOGS so these have been good scopes for my plinking.  The 6x magnification tends to provide too much distortion for shooting with both eyes open.

A member here did provide a report on his T168 that he used for a year in Iraq and rated it a solid performer.  He also appreciated the 6x magnification for identifying potential threats at longer ranges.  Since these cost 1/10 the cost of a ACOGS, I owuld not expect them to be as good as one, but for the price it is a good value.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm sure there are bad ones but that doesn't make them all junk. I paid $40 and mine is very clear, doesn't fog up and it rides in a rack on a 4 wheeler all the time and has never lost it's zero. An ACOG it's not but it was worth every bit of $40!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn it guys your making me want to go out and get one to beat the hell out of, STOP IT!!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:43:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Send it back to Leapers. They offer a lifetime warranty on their T168. It's not an ACOG but I've seen worse from "name brand" stuff that cost more.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:02:45 AM EDT
[#11]
BTW

For the original poster:
Did the owner get the scope from Clearview/Centerfire or from Tapco or elsewhere? The cheapest T-168s are now at around $60 each. I'm sure that Tapco just inspects their T-168s before shipping them out, so it seems like they're not seconds. Just my 2 cents...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had one for around 6 months now. Paid $39.95 at Clearview investments.
I have no complaints with it except the illumination switch like 3rdpig says.
But I also don't use the illumination in the first place.
Somebody likes them they keep going up in price.

www.clearviewinvest.com/detail.asp?product_id=004-SCO1680

This might be around the best price right now. I just ordered another one this morning.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:32:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've had one for around 6 months now. Paid $39.95 at Clearview investments.
I have no complaints with it except the illumination switch like 3rdpig says.
But I also don't use the illumination in the first place.
Somebody likes them they keep going up in price.

www.clearviewinvest.com/detail.asp?product_id=004-SCO1680

This might be around the best price right now. I just ordered another one this morning.

+1.

Im happy with mine
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:46:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I called up Clearview to ask them to ship the Mil-Dot. Apparently, the only ones they have now are the Mil-Dots and the canted reticles were only a problem with the first batch they had (a long time ago).
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Heres a T168 review. They suck. Not my gun, but a guy brought it in, he said it must be mounted crooked. Nope, the crosshair was crooked in the scope...

Gee, imagine that. A $40 scope doesn't have the same quality and QC as a $650+ ACOG. Who would have thunk it?

Thanks for well thought out, detailed and unbiased review. Glad we have that cleared up!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What can I say, I view these things as a total waste of money. There are other scopes in the same price range that have centered reticles and a clearer view. If I wanted a cheap scope, I'd at least want one that works, I dont care if it looks like an ACOG or not.

None of which have convenient mounting options that are reasonably priced.
The T168 looks nothing like the ACOG other than the front slanted shade. There's a red dot on sale in Hong Kong airsoft shops that looks exactly like the ACOG though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:59:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I had the same problem - crooked reticle and didn't fit into a carry handle he and I got a full refund (of the £80 UK price).  

If you are ever tempted by a a T168 'cos they are cheap...count to ten and then read this:

"There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey."

John Ruskin 1819-1900

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#19]
My T-168 from Clearview/Centerfire just arrived. The reticle was straight, I can definitely hear an audible/tactile "CLICK" when turning the reticle light on/off, and the knob has some resistance to it.
The optics are comparable to BSA sub $100 scope optics (which isn't that bad). The cheap Chinese rubber smell comes from the front scope cover. I installed the flat top adapter and used blue threadlocker for the 2 screws. The illumination is a neat feature because in a worst case scenario you can just use it as an OEG for CQB.

ETA:
I'm not sure if anyone else realized this, but when it came out of the box, it was out of focus. I cranked the eyepiece clockwise maybe 1-2 revolutions and now the reticle and sight picture is crystal clear.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:17:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I was at a gun show in Evansville yesterday and ran across this sight. I thought I'd give it a chance for a cheap sight. I looked thru it and the optics were very blurry. The control for the lit recticle was junk. Guy wanted $80.00 for it. I'll give you that maybe this was just a bad one, but after seeing one in person I considered it a complete waste of money. I passed. Glad I saw one before I ordered one!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I was at a gun show in Evansville yesterday and ran across this sight. I thought I'd give it a chance for a cheap sight. I looked thru it and the optics were very blurry. The control for the lit recticle was junk. Guy wanted $80.00 for it. I'll give you that maybe this was just a bad one, but after seeing one in person I considered it a complete waste of money. I passed. Glad I saw one before I ordered one!

You have to adjust the eyepiece focus "ring". When it came out of the box, it was fairly blurry and I didn't think too much of it ($65 optics from China). I turned the ring clockwise 1-3 turns and everything was clearer. I don't care too much for the illuminated reticle and I have not adjusted elevation and windage yet.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I have had one for a while now. Usually throw it on the M4gery for a couple hundred rounds or so on each of my range trips. The crosshairs on mine are straight and the glass is quite clear especially for a $40 optic. I set zero my first range trip and haven't touched the adjustments again since. It has been mounted and dismounted at least 20 times and holds zero perfectly. I have not thrown it downrange or beat it on the bench to test it's durability and it sure as hell is no ACOG but it works great for plinking, and I think it was worth every cent I paid for it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top