Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2006 9:41:29 PM EDT
Have you guys seen this "new" Aimpoint clone budget priced optic?

www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=637702

I don't know which clone may be better than the next but I've ordered one.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not a "clone" exactly...  After all, to quote the man (Lumpy)

"there are only so many ways to design a red dot optic with a 30mm tube".

The reticle illumination switch is completely different, so if nothing else, it's a SPOT clone, or a Burris clone .
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The reticle illumination switch is completely different, so if nothing else, it's a SPOT clone, or a Burris clone .

+1
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I stand corrected...

Maybe I'll be the first on my block to have one... It's not even on Tasco's website
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:37:50 AM EDT
[#4]
If anything it’s a Burris clone.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#5]
It's 42MM.

I like it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:09:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I like it too.  I've had good luck with Tasco, & am tempted to order one.  I know it reads 42 mm, but it sure doesn't look like that in the picture.
Be sure & give a report when yours arrives.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Its definitely a Burris or SPOT clone. Its just styled similarly to the Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I was thinking if it's 42mm does that mean I have no options on mounts?  I'll mike the diameter where the mount goes when I get it.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#9]
TAGGGGGG
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yup its a SPOT clone, just like the Burris

Well almost it is 42mm tube not 30mm soooo
Sorry couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Studying the picture & just noticed what would be a problem for me with this sight & what I was thinking of doing with it.  The mount is so low that it would have to attach right on the very forward end of the rail.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#12]
The Aimpoint is 30mm in Diameter where the mount attaches, but not the front lens which makes me ask, aren't they all the same sizes basically?

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The Aimpoint is 30mm in Diameter where the mount attaches, but not the front lens which makes me ask, aren't they all the same sizes basically?

We'll all know the moment I get mine
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#14]
If I were to buy one, would I be giving money to a US business, or to the Chinese bastards.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:47:46 PM EDT
[#15]
At first I thought it was too expensive, but then I remembered what I paid for my first generation ProPoint nearly 20 years ago..about $170. Dang.

I wonder who makes it since Tasco went bankrupt a few years ago..ProPoints are good, though..
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#16]
For less than $100, I may get this for my ar15 pistol.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
At first I thought it was too expensive, but then I remembered what I paid for my first generation ProPoint nearly 20 years ago..about $170. Dang.

I wonder who makes it since Tasco went bankrupt a few years ago..ProPoints are good, though..

I was surprize at how good some of the electronics from the tasco name. i have an older propoint and it seves me well. I also have one of their lazers that I find is better than a lot of the junk out there today.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:18:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I was thinking if it's 42mm does that mean I have no options on mounts?  I'll mike the diameter where the mount goes when I get it.

Please do I'm interested to know if they actually ment that the occular was 42mm and not the tube itself where the mount attaches. I see 42mm tube and I think that area of the optic, not the lens.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#19]

A Tasco for $114 with only a one year warranty?

No thanks.
When it fails after 14 months and I have wasted 1/3 of what it would cost me to get an Aimpoint ML2 with a lifetime warranty, I have wasted my money.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

No thanks.
When it fails after 14 months and I have wasted 1/3 of what it would cost me to get an Aimpoint ML2 with a lifetime warranty, I have wasted my money.

That's just the thing though...I can destroy 3 Taso's before reaching the cost of an Aimpoint.  j/k.

I thought Taso makes decent products.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No thanks.

That's just the thing though...I can destroy 3 Taso's before reaching the cost of an Aimpoint.  j/k.

I thought Taso makes decent products.

And when you destroy all 3 you still have nothing.

For $325 I have an Aimpoint for a lifetime.  I like to think long term, it wastes far less money,

I have played the "Save money, buy Chinese" game before. They always end up in the range trash can.  

Tasco is OK but still made in China. Quality just isn't the same.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:40:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I think it's the exact same size as an Aimpoint and they are just using the 42mm lens to advertise it instead of the usual 1" or 30mm that a lot use to describe the tube and mounting diameter...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#23]
How come I can't find a pic of the thing anywhere???
Everywhere says "picture not available"
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#24]
FOLLOW THE LINK TO MIDWAY!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Oddly, the Propoint TS doesn't appear anywhere on the Tasco Website.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I've had very good service out of the older (and considerably smaller) Tasco Pro-Points.  They were, in fact, the first red-dot sights with which I had any experience.  I might have to try one of these out in spite of myself...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The best I can tell the website was last updated in April of 2005, judging by their latest "news".

MidwayUSA had the new Pro-point on their website as "coming soon" in December 2005.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The best I can tell the website was last updated in April of 2005, judging by their latest "news".

MidwayUSA had the new Pro-point on their website as "coming soon" in December 2005.  

Ah, I see.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#29]
tag
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Please post back here when/if you get this or not.  I am interested in ordering one.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Well it came in....

Can you say MIS-PRINT?!? img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/JeffCsr/e88ffa0d.jpg

It's a 32mm, not a 42...

The tube is 30.02mm diameter, not that it matters anymore.  Midway offered to take it back but I'm going to keep it, it looks good.  The covers are very springy and look like hard rubber, not plastic. ETA, the covers are plastic, the bands are rubber.

Sorry my close up pics suck so I won't bore you all with them.  
img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/JeffCsr/5f617e04.jpg

I'll let you know how it works as soon as I get to the range. I'll get more pics when it's on my rifle.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:17:10 AM EDT
[#33]
I mounted it on my Bushy... pics to come later,

It does not cowitness at all with my RRA tac rail (I traded carry handles with a member here) the scope sits higher than sights... so much for built in BUIS .

But in any event the tac rail does get the red dot scope over the front sight.

More to come...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:58:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Hey Jeff,
Will it mount on a rail without having to have the forward end hanging over the front of the rail?
Looks very close in the pictures.   Also, if it hits the rail, would it mount back from the end of the rail with the forward end cap removed?
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:01:40 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
If I were to buy one, would I be giving money to a US business, or to the Chinese bastards.

As opposed to giving it to those Swedish bastards?

Say, where are your tennis shoes made?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:04:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I have played the "Save money, buy Chinese" game before.

I would bet good money that the Chinese will be "in business" far longer than the Swedes.  

And before anyone starts, I own both Aimpoint and Tacpoint, although I wasn't aware of a lifetime warranty on the Aimpoint until I read this thread.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would bet good money that the Chinese will be "in business" far longer than the Swedes.  

Really?

And before anyone starts, I own both Aimpoint and Tacpoint, although I wasn't aware of a lifetime warranty on the Aimpoint until I read this thread.

And the Chinese will most likely never offer a LTW which is only one reason why they can sell so cheap.

On a side note the Chinese will be selling cars here in the very near future.  It's called the "Geely" and will be on par with the Yugo (according to the article) as far as price goes.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Well it came in....

It's a 32mm, not a 42...

The tube is 30.02mm diameter, not that it matters anymore.  Midway offered to take it back but I'm going to keep it, it looks good.  The covers are very springy and look like hard rubber, not plastic. ETA, the covers are plastic, the bands are rubber.

I'll let you know how it works as soon as I get to the range. I'll get more pics when it's on my rifle.

If you get sick of it or just end up wanting to get rid of it let me know I'd like to add one to the torture test optics.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Here's some pics...

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Hey Jeff,
Will it mount on a rail without having to have the forward end hanging over the front of the rail?
Looks very close in the pictures.   Also, if it hits the rail, would it mount back from the end of the rail with the forward end cap removed?
Thanks

It will clear...

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't need to worry about the Chinese bastards, it's marked made in Korea on the bottom

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well it came in....

It's a 32mm, not a 42...

If you get sick of it or just end up wanting to get rid of it let me know I'd like to add one to the torture test optics.

Thanks Photoman, I knew I could count on you
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Jeff- you say it's too high.  You must be looking for an absolute-cowitness.  It's not always best to do it that way.  You can still use your irons, right?  It's good to go then!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Jeff- you say it's too high.  You must be looking for an absolute-cowitness.  It's not always best to do it that way.  You can still use your irons, right?  It's good to go then!

No I was hoping for a bottom third but the optic is higher than the sights... If you were to look thru the sights the rear aperture lines up directly with  the bottom lip of the rear objective cover.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No I was hoping for a bottom third but the optic is higher than the sights... If you were to look thru the sights the rear aperture lines up directly with  the bottom lip of the rear objective cover.

lower mount will fix that right up. Well it should there are lower mopunts available.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:42:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Jeff,

It looks good, thanks for the post.
Did it come with an extension?

I had a propoint and it came with an objective lense extension/hood; had good experience with it by the way
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#45]
O.K. -  I like it & ordered one to use on a pistol.  Should be here on the 16th.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:09:22 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Jeff,

It looks good, thanks for the post.
Did it come with an extension?

I had a propoint and it came with an objective lense extension/hood; had good experience with it by the way

No, it didn't come with an extension.  I guess the Mis-Print goes beyond the wrong objective size

Quoted:
O.K. -  I like it & ordered one to use on a pistol.  Should be here on the 16th.  

I have a weaver rail on one of my S&W revolvers, I thought of trying it on a 357 Magnum too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Well it worked as advertised.

First I checked my zero with the new carry handle, then attached the Tasco. I was zeroing it and noticed it had rotated in the mount. After retorquing the screws I sighted it in and shot till I was empty... I didn't bring enough ammo though, only had 120rds but at least I got to go shooting .  Nothing negative to report, except maybe the dot flares pretty bad when at setting #11, but being a new battery I did all my shooting with the dot on the lowest setting and that was more than bright enough for the indoor range.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top